First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I'm trying to decide between a similarly equipped 2021 Limited vs Platinum, and which drivetrain would be best suited for my use and needs. Limited has the AWD (only option), and the Platinum would have 4WD.

For reference, my current vehicle is a 2010 Lariat 4x4, and I live in southeast Michigan. We have snow ~4 months out of the year. It's typically not deep snow, but during winter it would be slick with only a 2WD pickup. Even though we have a 4-month winter, the overwhelming vast majority of that time roads are not snow covered. Within a relatively short time after a big snowfall they're plowed and salted, so for the most part just wet and slushy.

I currently engage the 4x4 on my Lariat when the roads are snow covered. What I've noticed in 4x4 mode in snow is that when turning tight radiuses in parking lots, the wheels tend to "chatter". I've comed to learn this it's due to each wheel turning with the same rotational force, and when turning the inside wheels require less rotation / travel compared to the outside wheels, yet the 4x4 forces the same rotation/travel regardless. (If my understanding / description of this is incorrect, please let me know).

There are a few times up north in the winter where I'm driving on roads through snow that is deep (5"-10") and/or consistently tracked/rutted for longer periods of time, and in those cases I'm in full 4x4 mode. The only other use case where 4x4 comes in handy is when pulling my boat out of the water on a cement ramp that is slick.

So considering that I never take my F150 to go "offroading", which drivetrain do you think would best suit my needs? AWD or 4WD? And on the Limited AWD, is it seamless and automatic AWD?
Sponsored

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
The platinum and limited 4x4 configurations are both AWD. I’ve had the AWD setup for my last 2 trucks and it’s great. Seamless, smooth, and stable. The true difference you would see is in the trim line of the truck. Both are solid trims, and I’ve had both. But I’m opting for the Platinum because I want a 5.0. If they offered that engine in the Limited I would get it. But they’re going powerboost only and I want a Whipple, so Platinum it is.

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
The platinum and limited 4x4 configurations are both AWD.
Platinum and Limited drivetrain are both AWD? I'm a bit confused based on what I've been reading online.

eSourceBook, Page 28, under "Key Standard Performance and Capability Features"
  • Limited: 2-speed automatic AWD with mechanical-locking 4WD (the term "AWD" is only used in reference to the Limited).
This same verbiage is also listed for only the Limited on page 29 of the F-150 order guide (dated 7/15/20). On page 26 of the order guide for Platinum it lists "Two-Speed Automatic 4WD".

eSourceBook, Page 30, under "Performance and Capability"
  • Platinum: 2-speed automatic Torque-On-Demand (TOD) 4WD with neutral towing capability
  • Limited: 2-speed automatic Torque-On-Demand (TOD) 4WD with mechanical-locking 4WD and neutral towing capability
At the very least the drivetrain description for the Limited is inconsistent at best.

Can anyone confirm that the Limited has a drivetrain that is AWD and is unique to the Limited?

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
From my 2011 and 2015, and my grandpas 2018: what happens is: drive selector has 4 modes - 2wd, AWD(auto), 4x4H, and 4x4L
In 2wd it’s just rear wheels, then you can get an e-locker rear diff and that is enageable in all modes.
AWD is primarily rear but auto engages the front more aggressively as needed.
4x4H is locked for 4x4 mode - don’t make sharp turns on hard surfaces, you will make nasty popping noises.
4x4L is low range mode, rock crawling, etc.

The lariats? I think... don’t get the AWD/Auto mode. They only get 2,4H, and 4L. The platinum and limited get the option.
Personally I always liked it because the rain here makes for some nasty slick roads. The oils just build up so much and it rains so infrequently. The AWD mode was just like launching in 4H, but without the drawback of not being able to make parking lot sharp turns.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
From my 2011 and 2015, and my grandpas 2018: what happens is: drive selector has 4 modes - 2wd, AWD(auto), 4x4H, and 4x4L
In 2wd it’s just rear wheels, then you can get an e-locker rear diff and that is enageable in all modes.
AWD is primarily rear but auto engages the front more aggressively as needed.
4x4H is locked for 4x4 mode - don’t make sharp turns on hard surfaces, you will make nasty popping noises.
4x4L is low range mode, rock crawling, etc.

The lariats? I think... don’t get the AWD/Auto mode. They only get 2,4H, and 4L. The platinum and limited get the option.
Personally I always liked it because the rain here makes for some nasty slick roads. The oils just build up so much and it rains so infrequently. The AWD mode was just like launching in 4H, but without the drawback of not being able to make parking lot sharp turns.
I believe lariat and up get 4Auto

Sponsored

jsager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport
Occupation
Retired
I believe lariat and up get 4Auto
Can you confirm this? I was under the assumption that 4/auto was included with the power boost Larait I ordered.. Maybe I shouldn’t have assumed. If it’s not included I might have to cancel and order a plat or limited. Damn.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Can you confirm this? I was under the assumption that 4/auto was included with the power boost Larait I ordered.. Maybe I shouldn’t have assumed. If it’s not included I might have to cancel and order a plat or limited. Damn.
I drove a Lariat 5.0 at test drive event. It had 4 buttons around the drive mode knob.. 2H/4H/4L/4A

hunter406

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 3500, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Insurance Analyst
I drove a Lariat 5.0 at test drive event. It had 4 buttons around the drive mode knob.. 2H/4H/4L/4A
From a video posted a few days ago - Lariat powerboost with 4A circled in red. Is this the same as that in the Platinum and Limited?

Ford F-150 Limited AWD vs Platinum 4WD Drivetrain D04C325C-B29E-4155-A8AD-F96B0C125A4C

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
From a video posted a few days ago - Lariat powerboost with 4A circled in red. Is this the same as that in the Platinum and Limited?

D04C325C-B29E-4155-A8AD-F96B0C125A4C.jpeg
Dude idk I’m just confirming it’s on Lariat and above for 5.0 trucks. Idk about all the different combos and weird things for does with certain trims.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I thought the 4A was for 4wheel drive automatic.

This is from the 2018 manual, so the 4A selection is not 4 AWD it is 4X4 automatically when needed. You can tell I was board tonight. Lol

4X2
Ford F-150 Limited AWD vs Platinum 4WD Drivetrain {filename}
Momentarily illuminates when 2H is selected.
4X4 Auto
Continuously illuminates when 4A is selected (2-Speed Automatic 4WD vehicles only).
4X4 HIGH
Continuously illuminates when 4H is selected.
4X4 LOW
Continuously illuminates when 4L is selected.
CHECK 4X4

4A (4X4 AUTO)
Provides electronic controlled four-wheel drive with power delivered to the front and rear wheels, as required, for increased traction. 4A tuning varies based on selected Drive Mode See Drive Control. . 4A in Normal and Sport is appropriate for all on-road driving conditions, including, dry road surfaces. 4A in Snow/Wet is appropriate for slippery on-road conditions such as snow and ice covered roads.

All-Wheel Drive vs Four-Wheel Drive

Though most incorrectly use these terms interchangeably, it's important to recognize the significant differences between the two according to Consumer Reports. Four-wheel drive systems are generally capable of operating at maximum traction in a variety of conditions and many are suited for off-road use. Most four-wheel-drive systems use a two-speed transfer case to engage a single different gear for low-gear situations, such as rock crawl. Four-wheel-drive systems tend to be more robust and may also have low and high ranges that can be selected by the driver, providing maximum traction in an off-road environment.

All-wheel-drive systems automatically send the necessary torque to each axle and wheel using a center differential with no input from the driver, as well as sensors that detect traction loss, wheel speed, and other data points as explained by Road and Track.

Full-time all-wheel drive always powers all four wheels at all times and can be used full time on all surfaces, including pavement.

All-Wheel Drive: Function and Safety
Though vehicle manufacturers are releasing more and more sedans on the market with all-wheel drive every day, the majority of vehicles with this driveline are small to medium sport-utility vehicles according to Subaru. These vehicles are designed for normal, everyday driving on the roads when weather conditions or minor hazards might create slippery road conditions. Such vehicles tend to use full-time all-wheel drive, which offers an added safety advantage: It always provides double the traction of an on/off system for maximum stability.

Because of this, there's no delay in switching power when an unexpected circumstance comes up and the roads become slippery or the tires lose traction when trying to navigate in traffic. The system is fully engaged, so when the sensors detect a loss of traction, they feed information to the vehicle’s computer. The amount of power going to each wheel is adjusted, transferring torque to the wheels with better grip to improve traction and stability and keep the vehicle moving.

Ford F-150 Limited AWD vs Platinum 4WD Drivetrain 1603595507193

Sponsored

jsager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport
Occupation
Retired
Dude idk I’m just confirming it’s on Lariat and above for 5.0 trucks. Idk about all the different combos and weird things for does with certain trims.

jsager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport
Occupation
Retired
This is the image that had me concerned. I think its an older one and probably computer generated. Notice no 4A in lower left quadrant of switch.
Ford F-150 Limited AWD vs Platinum 4WD Drivetrain 2F28BC63-C030-4224-BC44-5DF7A795F8F3

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Just reviewed my photos from the test drive event (again). Hopefully this helps you all out. If I’m understanding everyone correctly 4A is all four wheels and safe to use for normal driving?

This is on a Lariat SuperCrew PowerBoost with the Chrome appearance and the FX4 packages

Ford F-150 Limited AWD vs Platinum 4WD Drivetrain 7928594C-FC87-47CE-8161-7C446DA4167C

Ford F-150 Limited AWD vs Platinum 4WD Drivetrain CF97EC17-4EE1-404B-A51D-62AB8BD63030

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Just reviewed my photos from the test drive event (again). Hopefully this helps you all out. If I’m understanding everyone correctly 4A is all four wheels and safe to use for normal driving?

This is on a Lariat SuperCrew PowerBoost with the Chrome appearance and the FX4 packages

I think 4A is just 2WD drive but if it recognizes slipping it will lock the front into 4x4.. could be wrong though
Sponsored