First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4x4 2.7EB XLT SuperCab, 6.5Ft, 302a order
Occupation
Self Employed Photographer
Still getting used to (and trusting) the ACC to do it’s thing on my new truck.

However I’m assuming that it won’t be able to stop the truck safely from speed if it detects stopped traffic ahead? E.g. traveling at 70mph coming upto stopped traffic at lights. By the time the forward radar spots the stationary traffic the truck would basically have to do an emergency stop, with a good chance of collision?
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
not sure about 70 to zero

but i can say i played with it last week in stop go road construction
set it at 20 and it slowed down, stopped, then slowly sped up as cars moved in front and kept a 2 car distance, it was very impressive over about 3 miles.
it was fast to catch the car in front doing the OMG stop from not paying attention to what was infront of that driver.
i learn more each time i drive .

lane keeping on 2 lane farm roads is fun as it hugs the the line. but shadows tend to kick it off for a few seconds.

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
i can tell you it will stop on the intestate from speed. It will scare the s*** out of you cause it breaks late and hard. I generally break myself with ACC if I see traffic stopping.

Demps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
ACC is great in city traffic. Keep in mind if car in front turns off you will quickly speed up.
At highway speed passengers generally brace for impact.

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford

Sponsored

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
i can tell you it will stop on the intestate from speed. It will scare the s*** out of you cause it breaks late and hard. I generally break myself with ACC if I see traffic stopping.
This has been my experience too.. the alert has helped cause me to react (if you haven't turned that off) and break harder sooner than what it will do on its own. Like you said, it seems brake late and hard at higher speeds. It's been great in city driving.. a few similar situations going 40-50mph but overall I like it a lot. Just stay alert.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I think completely stopped vehicles are the limitation. It may work, it may not. But if it does work, it definitely won’t be a comfortable stop from 70 by the time it realizes a car is there. But if you’re following a car in stop and go traffic, it Will bring the truck to a stop no problem

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
It really depends on the situation. Per the limitations in the manual (https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=USA&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False) it may not be able to detect stopped vehicles in front of you.

If it does see a stopped vehicle in front of you and thinks it can't stop fast enough it will activate the Pre Collision Assist warning to get you to brake manually.
mine has done the evasive steering thing once a few weeks ago
driver in front of me doing 65 on 2 lane decided at about 150 to 200 feet from a road to STOP STOP STOP with no turn signal nothing didnt even slow down before hand.

i was the 2 cars behind and truck went OH SHIIIIT, hit brakes FIRMLY and turned to right a bit to miss the car and put me in the emergency lane, then resumed 65 like nothing had happened,
there was no way my old self could have reacted that fast, i would have most likley took out the drivers right hand rear corner trying to swerve and brake

SILVERBULLET69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YOUR GLOVE BOX LIGHT IS ON
USUALLY HIT THE GAS! (BASED ON SITUATION OBVIOUSLY MOSTLY TRAVELING OVER 45 MPH) WHEN IT STARTS ALERTING AND REDUCING SPEED, CAUSE ITS A LITTLE SKETCHY AND DONT WANT A TEXTER TO REAR END ME. I PRETTY MUCH USE IT 90% OF DRIVING. STOP AN GO TRAFFIC IS LIKE RIDING W A WOMAN THAT IS FLOORING IT HALF THE TIME AND WARPING ROTORS THE OTHER HALF.

OP
OP
BritCanuck

BritCanuck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4x4 2.7EB XLT SuperCab, 6.5Ft, 302a order
Occupation
Self Employed Photographer
mine has done the evasive steering thing once a few weeks ago
driver in front of me doing 65 on 2 lane decided at about 150 to 200 feet from a road to STOP STOP STOP with no turn signal nothing didnt even slow down before hand.

i was the 2 cars behind and truck went OH SHIIIIT, hit brakes FIRMLY and turned to right a bit to miss the car and put me in the emergency lane, then resumed 65 like nothing had happened,
there was no way my old self could have reacted that fast, i would have most likley took out the drivers right hand rear corner trying to swerve and brake
That’s actually really good to know. I wasn’t exactly sure what the evasive steering feature was or how it worked. So the truck did the entire maneuver by itself?

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
After a couple trips, I found that if traffic is stopped or moving slowly, the longest following distance will stop you more gradually. Not as well as just coasting or manually breaking if you can see the traffic far enough in advance, but much less nerve racking than shorter following distances.

mla_anderson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I did a long trip (4K miles) and used ACC the entire time. On highways it worked best at max following distance, except when going through cities at rush hour. It even detected vehicles in fog before I could see them. I only had to intervene on the brakes once when it didn’t “see” the vehicle in front of me stopping.

That being said, the system primarily relies on radar, not the cameras. As a result it can have difficulty with some situations. If I’m following a car next to a lane of stopped traffic; when the car in front of me merges to an empty lane to avoid a stopped car ahead, the system has trouble detecting the stopped vehicle next to the other lane of stopped traffic. It will gun it in this situation.

Likewise, some smaller vehicles are difficult to detect, especially if there is a large one in an adjacent lane. I absolutely don’t trust it behind motorcycles.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
That’s actually really good to know. I wasn’t exactly sure what the evasive steering feature was or how it worked. So the truck did the entire maneuver by itself?
yes and very precise and super fast, like as soon as i saw the driver slam on the brakes it had already processed the math and took action, not to mention the alarms on dash . i also had lane keeping engaged. i was just along for the ride. it was really freaky in a good way

i had no idea it would do this, i figured it would just stop
it all happened in a blink of an eye . i wish i had the dash cam then, i would have liked to see the video.
that ford video is surprisingly WRONG about everything i was taught about defensive driving, you never go into the oncoming lane,
it should have squeezed right IMO
i like the adaptive more and more each time i use it.
in my wifes edge 2012 its not nearly as refined and will slam on the brakes and give you a red flashing thing on the defrost area its ABRUBT she hates it, it will see tall grass on the median and do the we have to slow down NOW thing.
Sponsored

Last edited: