• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning software bugs?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
So, it should be taken with s grain of salt at this point but what are your thoughts on the software bugs this couple have run into with the Mach-E? The F150 Lightning will have similar software.

Sponsored

CommoSGT

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat SCrew, 2021 F150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone notice the Tesla sign in the background??

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
So……. The big issue is they are forced to carry the key fob with them? :rolleyes:

Things randomly opening (their charge port door) probably isn’t software: latch could be loose, release solenoid could be faulty, release button could be hyper-sensitive, etc etc.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Anyone notice the Tesla sign in the background??
LMAO! Nice catch.

Pro tip: if you are going to record a video smearing the competition, next time drive to their lot.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Meh, they'll figure it out.

Tesla's phone as key is annoying, too. It often takes several seconds to realize you want to get in so you just keep pulling the handle or pushing the trunk button and try to move your body to get the phone closer or whatever. Sounds similar to their issue.

I like not having to carry a fob, but they're more reliable/fast, IME.

My Lightning Pro won't have Phone-as-key anyway, but this wouldn't worry me at all.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
it should be taken with s grain of salt
This should be taken with a huge boulder of salt. The main problem/complaint here is Pone as a Key, which:
  1. Is a known ongoing issue
  2. Is a whizz bang solution in search of a problem
  3. Is not required to operate the vehicle
  4. Is not standard on anything below Platinum and is only optional on Lariat. Not even available on Pro and XLT
  5. Update has been performed on hundreds of cars, and so far not a single 1st hand report of a bricked car
  6. They went to get service on Saturday, without confirming ahead of time that a qualified technician will be available to perform the work

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
LMAO! Nice catch.

Pro tip: if you are going to record a video smearing the competition, next time drive to their lot.
I mean, they definitely have a Mach E. They've done tons of videos on it comparing it to their Model Y. Not sure why they're parked at Tesla, but I don't think there's anything nefarious going on. (Besides turning every molehill into a mountain so they can have content to post)

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
Mach E owner here. Phone as a Key works fine for both of our phones. Mine took some time to get installed but the wife's phone synced up immediately and has worked fine since.

If you search the Mach E forum you will se many posts about it not working. Not my experience so far

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I like not having to carry a fob, but they're more reliable/fast, IME.
I guess it would be nice to not have one…. But I am literally terrible at keeping my phone charged all day long so I would be terrified to not have a fob on me.

To me the feature would be fine as an emergency stop-gap if I lost my keys and was already late for work, not for everyday use.

Sponsored

Villageidit

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 1500, 2008 Honda Element,
Occupation
Retired
I would expect this to be a non issue a year from now when orders are fulfilled. I've never owned a pushbutton start vehicle so carrying a fob/key is normal and what I would do anyway.

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Caveat Emptor - Ford is just now getting into "software rich" driving experiences. There WILL be growing pains. Tesla has had cars on the road for over a decade - and they STILL have bugs that pop up. It will happen. Ford will fix it, but it wont be 100% perfect out of the box.

In a way, its one reason why I passed on the Mach E (I currently own a 2016 Tesla Model X) but decided to go for the Lightning. Mach E is my beta development platform! Let them deal with these bugs. (maybe a little harsh, just keeping it real)

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Mach E is my beta development platform! Let them deal with these bugs. (maybe a little harsh, just keeping it real)
Yeah, I'm sure Ford at least considered this when they built the Mach E first: That they could use it to work out some of the bugs before they roll out the BEV of their Flagship product. I mean, the reality is that F-150 *is* Ford. They're going to minimize risk/issues as much as possible on the F-150.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
To me the feature would be fine as an emergency stop-gap if I lost my keys and was already late for work, not for everyday use.
Or the Fob battery has died. Although on MME there should be a warning that the battery needs to be replaced.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
That was a real treat to watch....
That was a FUDtastic video. I have a feeling that those people say " I want to talk to your manager" at least 5 times per week.

Doesn't the Mach-E allow one to unlock and start your car using the key, passcode, OR PAAK? I don't think any other EV has that level of redundancy.
Sponsored

Last edited: