• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Rear wheel steering

Goose2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 ford f150
I wouldn’t own a truck with 4 wheel steer. There a pain to keep alligned.
Sponsored

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
I’ve backed up many trailers in my life. I’m looking forward to the tow technology/360 package on the Lightning. I’ve heard that 4 wheel steering would be great for backing up a trailer (or hitching up a trailer). But perhaps a system that does it for you with 2 wheel steer would be more useful.

DanielM92563

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER, Taycan CrossTursimo4, 23 Canyon
I'd rather they had 4 independent motors so it could do a "Tank turn" like the Rivian can. That truck can literally turn a complete 360 in in one spot simply by spinning one sides wheels in one direction and the opposite direction on the other side.

That is bad ass.

Oh and FWIW I've driven a vehicle with 4 wheel steering and taking curves at speed felt weird and unnatural. You could feel the turn ok but the car body remained pointing out at the field in the curve. Was an 80's Honda Prelude. They brought it in for a 4 wheel alignment. Imagine my surprise when I went to do a caster reading swing and the rear wheels turned. Messed my head up lol.

So I lifted it high enough to get a good look at how it worked and it was basically just like a 4 wheel drive in the steering. The front rack had an extra output shaft on the back of it connected by a long rod to what looked like a mini differential in the rear for steering.
Rivian can’t do Tank turn, the video was one lucky shot at it otherwise it was not predictable and completely removed as a feature in all production R1Ts.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
Rivian can’t do Tank turn, the video was one lucky shot at it otherwise it was not predictable and completely removed as a feature in all production R1Ts.
Last I heard is the feature was delayed due to technical issues with getting the wheel traction measurements individually in order to take advantage of the feature. Safely

It may be delayed for the R1 series but their team is already planning the R2 and 3 series and they have not given up on the feature. It's in think tank mode. Pun intended. :sneaky:

Last edited:

FORDBEV

First Name
Mr. B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kawasaki Vulcan
Occupation
Robot Wrangler
Don't look for AWS in this generation of Lightning BEV due to complexity and cost. That is a 1% demand option that everybody claims they will want but won't actually pay the huge premium for. Just ask the GM Quadrasteer dealers how expensive and unpopular that option was. Oddly though, ZF repurposed an old Quadrasteer axle and added their modern electronic steering system to the rear of an F-150. You can watch this on youtube - Fast Lane Truck. Also, FORD has applied for a patent for a rear wheel steering system that appears to be Superduty or medium truck sized.

Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
I wonder what it would do for tire wear when you're no longer dragging your rear wheels around a corner or plowing the front wheels into one. I'd like to see them study it on various brands of tires and provide a percentage of additional tire wear or less tire wear. Tires are getting expensive.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
This is a feature I don't want in mine. About the only two things the truck is missing IMO are:

- No 800 Volt Charging
- No heat pump - only resistive heat

And maybe, it would be nice to do away with the mirrors entirely and use cameras like some of the cars in Korea, but thats about it.

IMO, rear steering adds to the cost, but does not add much value for most uses of the truck.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I’ve backed up many trailers in my life. I’m looking forward to the tow technology/360 package on the Lightning. I’ve heard that 4 wheel steering would be great for backing up a trailer (or hitching up a trailer). But perhaps a system that does it for you with 2 wheel steer would be more useful.
Pro Trailer Backup Assist in combination with Trailer Reverse Guidance gives you all you could possibly want.
Sponsored