• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning performance expectations - 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Comments in this thread made me realize I may have been over valuing the sub 5 second 0-60 time. While I love off the line performance and 4.5 seconds to 60 sounds great to me, I also appreciate passing performance and the statement that EVs have below average acceleration from 60-80 was news to me.

What do we think we can expect for 0-100 and/or quarter miles times from the lighting? Maybe someone has some unofficial numbers...

Thanks
jta
Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I think below average isn't accurate. Below a vehicle in a comparable 0-60 class maybe. Since most EVs don't have transmissions the motors directly drive the wheels with I think a reduction gear in place. With only one "speed", the electric motor is able to instantly kick on and supply tons of torque immediately to get things moving. But at higher speeds you face increased wind resistance, like with any vehicle, but the motor is pushing against ever increasing resistance.

In an ICE vehicle, it down shifts to bring the engine up to ideal torque range and provide additional power. The EV just has to make due. It can still pass without any issues and faster than the "Average" vehicle, like, a Camry won't be able to outpace it. So it's fast enough for public roads and then some. But they rarely have that same push you against the seat feeling they have from 0-60.

I guess what I mean is, it's not worth worrying about like the vehicle is somehow incapable of passing at higher speeds. My wife has a Focus Electric, and even at higher speeds on a two lane highway, it has enough power to pass anyone with normal safe margins. I can't imagine the much more powerful Lightning having any issues.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ok will throw some estimates out there for consideration

ER battery -13.2 seconds at 96mph quarter mile. Around 14 seconds to 100

SR battery - 14.2 seconds at 89mph quarter mile. Around 15.5 seconds to 100.

Used a drag time calculator and backed off about the same percentage the Mach-e is seeing

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I will just say you will be disappointed in 60-80 and 80- above. It will also depend on your charge percentage. Of course, this is coming from my experience owning a 2018 LR RWD Model 3. It was adequate for passing, but it wasn’t anything to write home about. Who’s knows, Ford might surprise us? I did test drive a Mach E ER RWD, and it was underwhelming.

OP
OP
GarageMahal

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Ok will throw some estimates out there for consideration

ER battery -13.2 seconds at 96mph quarter mile. Around 14 seconds to 100

SR battery - 14.2 seconds at 89mph quarter mile. Around 15.5 seconds to 100.

Used a drag time calculator and backed off about the same percentage the Mach-e is seeing
Interesting estimates and it does show that performance drops off quite a bit. No doubt that it is "fine" for passing but I am used to a bit more acceleration at higher speeds. Never thought I would miss having a transmission...

For comparison, my Marauder does 0-60 in a slow 6 seconds but completes the quarter mile in under 14.5; so while the SR Lightning gains over one second off the line it gives it back at higher speeds and I am sure to notice it on the highway.

Now I am really craving the ER for the added performance.

Last edited:

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Day to day driving you're not going to notice.

It'll certainly be faster than my Prius and tow my camper better than my 99 explorer.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Comments in this thread made me realize I may have been over valuing the sub 5 second 0-60 time. While I love off the line performance and 4.5 seconds to 60 sounds great to me, I also appreciate passing performance and the statement that EVs have below average acceleration from 60-80 was news to me.

What do we think we can expect for 0-100 and/or quarter miles times from the lighting? Maybe someone has some unofficial numbers...

Thanks
jta
Where are you finding that EVs have below-average passing speeds? That has not been proved out in our on-road testing for a variety (but not all) EVs. Give me a couple of months and I will be able to tell you how the Mach-E does on this, but I have found most EVs will still plant you into the back of your seat when accelerating from 60-80 (Kia Soul EV excluded, but it was designed for a completely different market segment).

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Where are you finding that EVs have below-average passing speeds? That has not been proved out in our on-road testing for a variety (but not all) EVs. Give me a couple of months and I will be able to tell you how the Mach-E does on this, but I have found most EVs will still plant you into the back of your seat when accelerating from 60-80 (Kia Soul EV excluded, but it was designed for a completely different market segment).
The most surprising and relevant data point is the Mach E GT.

It's does 0-60 in 3.5s, but has been trapping just ~100mph in the 1/4-mile!

With a high 12s 1/4-mile time, it's taking 3.5s to get to 60, but then ~9s to go from 60 to 100mph.

Other cars that do 60-100 in ~9s : 2015 Dodge Ram RT, 2018 Volvo XC90 T6 (a much bigger vehicle with 143hp less than MachE GT), 2018 GMC Yukon Denali, etc.

At some point between 60 and 100mph, the Mach E GT absolutely falls on its face relative to its HP and 0-60, far moreso than it's competitor the Model Y, for instance, that traps ~115mph in the 1/4.

It's fair to wonder if the Lightning will do the same at higher speeds.

There may actually be something wrong with the Mach E GT. It's just way too slow up top for its power level. EVs do often run out of steam at higher speeds relative to their low speed performance, but the Mach E GT is extreme even for that.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I think the big hubub is because the mach-e is slower than the model y and people expected it to be as fast if not faster in the 1/4 mile runs. Also the lower trim mach-e awd has proven to be faster than the GT and that just doesn't make sense.

Skynetf150

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 f150 5.0 customized
Occupation
Construction
I hope it runs high 12s with the bigger battery pack, high 7s in the eighth should also be possible. I wonder if the smaller battery pack models have the same engines as the extended range just detuned by the computer. Would make it possible to have more horsepower for the base battery with a computer tune.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
It depends on the design of the particular EV but I would be utterly shocked if the Lightning doesn't have better 60-80 acceleration than any other F-150. My lowly Bolt with a 93mph limited top speed will pass easily from 60-80. Far better than my EB Flex. Anything with an auto transmission will need to kick down for a hard pass, an EV has already left you in the dust by the time the transmission gets itself right.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The most surprising and relevant data point is the Mach E GT.

It's does 0-60 in 3.5s, but has been trapping just ~100mph in the 1/4-mile!

With a high 12s 1/4-mile time, it's taking 3.5s to get to 60, but then ~9s to go from 60 to 100mph.

Other cars that do 60-100 in ~9s : 2015 Dodge Ram RT, 2018 Volvo XC90 T6 (a much bigger vehicle with 143hp less than MachE GT), 2018 GMC Yukon Denali, etc.

At some point between 60 and 100mph, the Mach E GT absolutely falls on its face relative to its HP and 0-60, far moreso than it's competitor the Model Y, for instance, that traps ~115mph in the 1/4.

It's fair to wonder if the Lightning will do the same at higher speeds.

There may actually be something wrong with the Mach E GT. It's just way too slow up top for its power level. EVs do often run out of steam at higher speeds relative to their low speed performance, but the Mach E GT is extreme even for that.

Something seems really off about those numbers. I've been in a lot of EVs, they all accelerate hard well past 60.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Something seems really off about those numbers. I've been in a lot of EVs, they all accelerate hard well past 60.
Yup, that is the big concern on the Mach-e forums. Ford has been silent on the issue and there is a review embargo until a media drive in October (despite customers having them for over a month). At least 3 separate owners have gotten the same results independently on a drag strip.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Yup, that is the big concern on the Mach-e forums. Ford has been silent on the issue and there is a review embargo until a media drive in October (despite customers having them for over a month). At least 3 separate owners have gotten the same results independently on a drag strip.

Sounds like a design flaw.

OP
OP
GarageMahal

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation