• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning interior: 6 seats possible?

Snappy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Honda CRV
Do we think a front bench has a chance of being offered on the Lightning? Just like the Mansquatch Bronco, can we get some movement to make front bench happen? I really want to be able to bring one of the kiddos up front once in a while, and to have the extra seat available to use if needed. The gas XLT has it, no reason for the Lightning to miss out!
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
My guess is if they do offer it, it will be on the Pro. Maybe XLT, though probably not with the giant touchscreen equipped trucks.

The Lightning is probably going to be using the same cab as the ICE F150 but eventually, it really should get a dedicated one that takes advantage of the fact it doesn't have a transmission and prop shaft to accommodate. The F150 has a very roomy cab and there's no reason for it to not be able to seat six adults comfortably.

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
Looks like 40/20/40 with the column shifter is available on gas SuperCrew XL, XLT, and even Lariat.

But again that's with the column shifter. The Lightning Pro shots, like all the others, have all shown the fold-down console shifter. That kills the front bench unless they spend money to make the column shifter work with the electric powertrain, which seems very unlikely unless there's uproar from some large fleet purchaser.

OP
OP
Snappy22

Snappy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Honda CRV
Looks like 40/20/40 with the column shifter is available on gas SuperCrew XL, XLT, and even Lariat.

But again that's with the column shifter. The Lightning Pro shots, like all the others, have all shown the fold-down console shifter. That kills the front bench unless they spend money to make the column shifter work with the electric powertrain, which seems very unlikely unless there's uproar from some large fleet purchaser.
Yea, that was my fear. With only SuperCrew body, very few fleet managers will demand 6 seats and thus Ford doesn’t need to design a front bench for those that do want that.
The shifter can’t be much more than a physical device that has wires coming from it to transmit to the computer. Right?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I suspect that Ford will open up other variants once the Lightning gets off of the ground (a few years down the road). They just wanted to start with their most popular (saleswise) configuration.

Sponsored

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
Yea, that was my fear. With only SuperCrew body, very few fleet managers will demand 6 seats and thus Ford doesn’t need to design a front bench for those that do want that.
The shifter can’t be much more than a physical device that has wires coming from it to transmit to the computer. Right?
The shifter actually has a little motor in it, too. Shifts automatically to park and moves the lever if you open the door while unbelted in gear. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually a little CANBUS device or whatever Ford uses, more than just a few solenoids and wires.

Skip to 0:30

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Everything is drive-by-wire on Lightning except possibly the brakes. The shifters and throttle are already x-by-wire on the ICE F-150s. I am also not terribly familiar with my own 2021s brakes, since it's a brand new system, likely adopted across the board to accommodate the Powerboost and possibly Lightning.

The column shifter equipped trucks also automatically shift into park if you open the door in D, so who knows what is needed to swap between the two. The transmission is already all electronically controlled, so it's silly running shift cables or linkages to it.

So far, the only interior shots of the Lightning Pro that I have seen has vinyl bucket seats with the center console. Which is a shame, since the bench seats make a much more practical work truck.

OP
OP
Snappy22

Snappy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Honda CRV
Where’s my guy who in some thread was going to try the swap? Anybody seen if he’s tried this yet?

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
Very interested in a center console delete. I'd rather have the floor space!

@Snappy22 Did you see someone try this? I haven't been able to find anything.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
If you look at some of the tear downs of the F150, you will see that they tucked some of the cooling equipment in that space where the transmission would be in a conventional front engine truck. So you won't be able to easily flatten the transmission tunnel part of the floor under the front console. So foot room in the middle will be cramped at best.

Sponsored

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
If you look at some of the tear downs of the F150, you will see that they tucked some of the cooling equipment in that space where the transmission would be in a conventional front engine truck. So you won't be able to easily flatten the transmission tunnel part of the floor under the front console. So foot room in the middle will be cramped at best.
Great comment. I just skimmed through a few to see what you mean. I never looked at these... as someone who likes to work on my own car I definitely need to watch this through.

I assume you mean this "Supplementary EAC" compressor at 15:39?

If so he suggests it's associated with the max tow config. That may be a problem for me but not others...! Unless the floorboard accommodates that as a hump with just those hoses sticking out. Haven't found one with the body on yet

edit: I wonder if what you saw is for trims with rear seat climate control?

edit 2: founds one of the body. Here it looks like there’s no pass through for the eac compressor

@8:47
https://www.[banned site]/threads/sandy-munro-is-tearing-a-lightning-apart.2250/

Last edited:

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
+1

I dont blame Ford since a 6-seater config is not very popular at all in higher trim level Pickup Trucks, but if I could have ordered a lightning as a 6-seater Lariat or even XLT I probably would have. With 3 kids we utilize all 5 spots with no wiggle room for a guest.
Sponsored