• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning heater specs?

Jaspernuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 mustang
Is Ford using the same 5000w heater as the mach e? Anyone know what they are using since the pro does not have heated seats or wheel? Us folks up north are curious!
Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Is Ford using the same 5000w heater as the mach e? Anyone know what they are using since the pro does not have heated seats or wheel? Us folks up north are curious!
Ford likes to reuse parts to get the initial vehicle out the door and then do an upgraded solution later on on the next MY (if needed).

So my guess would be a yes.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
No heat pump in lightning or Mach-e?
No heat pump in the MME. Probably no heat pump in the F150L, although this hasn't been confirmed.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
No heat pump in the MME. Probably no heat pump in the F150L, although this hasn't been confirmed.
That’s a shame. It’s a pretty big boost in efficiency.

Although Tesla is having issues with model y heat pumps failing in Canada where it’s really cold -30C. They don’t have a back up resistive heater for some reason.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Any guesses on how much of a battery drain the resistive heating will be on the range ?

My wife who uses heating says the PHEV loses 25-40% of daily range - which is why I drive without heating the cabin. Pre conditioning avoids loss of range before leaving the house.

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
It somewhat based on your speed and how cold it is. If you are in stop and go, you could use 2 kWh to go one mile. At 69 mph you’d only use around 500W a mile (in addition to normal useage)

Our Pacifica PHEV shows the heater uses as much as 8 kW! But it drops to 5 kW ones tempature is reached. It will also use 5-7 with HVAC off if it’s near or below freezing to heat up the battery pack.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Any guesses on how much of a battery drain the resistive heating will be on the range ?

My wife who uses heating says the PHEV loses 25-40% of daily range - which is why I drive without heating the cabin. Pre conditioning avoids loss of range before leaving the house.
In my Mach-E, if I drive 5 miles to the store in sub freezing temps, my usage is 1.7 - 1.9 kwhr/mile. On the return trip, it’s 2.5 - 2.7. Seat heater on and cabin temp set to 68F both ways. For reference, about 3.0 gives the EPA rated range. I don’t precondition unless I’m going on a longer trip.
So the initial hit is pretty bad which I attribute mainly to heating up the cold battery pack. The car gives a breakdown on how much energy is used for propulsion/HVAC/weather, but I don’t really look at it.
In cold weather, you’ll lose at least as much range simply due to reduced battery capacity and the energy required to condition the battery as you will from cabin heat (unless you really crank up the heat).

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Doesn't the F150L have a battery heater built in standard which preconditions while charging?

I know my PHEV battery does not have it even as an option - only on Canadian models...

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Doesn't the F150L have a battery heater built in standard which preconditions while charging?

I know my PHEV battery does not have it even as an option - only on Canadian models...
The Mach-E uses the same heating system for battery conditioning and cabin heat. It only preconditions the battery if you have a departure time set. I presume the Lightning will be similar.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
The denser cold air is the prime reason for a range hit in cold weather, not the heater, at least for longer trips where the battery and the cabin are not stone cold for the majority of the drive. The heater's energy consumption is peanuts compared to what it takes to propel the truck down the road at highway speeds. I posted a calculation on this on another thread and did a test with my Model S last year where I only used the seat heaters for a 2 hour highway drive in 35 degree temps. Energy consumption was about the same as when I used the cabin heat. Use all the cabin heat you want and don't worry about it.

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 & 22F150 limited, 21 Ram 1500 limited EcoDiesel

My MME looses same 25-40% range depends on temp.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Mach-e vs model y thermal management system. Yikes.
Honestly I mostly prefer the Mach-e setup. Yes it has a lot more parts, but those are all parts bin parts and are easily replaced if there is an issue. Issues will also tend to be more isolated. The Model Y solution puts all it's eggs in one basket - but if that part fails, it is much more expensive and time consuming to repair. Tesla has a great solution to optimize performance, while the Mach-e solution is better for maintainability.
Sponsored