• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Build & Price for Canada?

pbd05

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 F150 XTR, '22 Lighting Lariat ER & SR
For Ontario members that have ordered, will you be getting a green plate (EV) for your truck? I guess the other question is, will you even be able to or will you be forced into a commercial vehicle plate (black letters) like most other 1/2 ton trucks?
Sponsored

NickG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Lexus RX450H, 2006 Honda Accord V6
I brought the fee up with my dealer, they didn't really want to budge on it.

Anything additional for licensing?
Nope. On the Purchase Agreement it has N/A next to licensing fees.

Hali_Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Has anyone done a cost analysis with Canadian pricing? I'm trying to determine if it's worth switching from my 2021 XLT V8 that I'm leasing. I paid $66,765 for a very well optioned model, and the Lightning is coming in at $85,895 for ER, Tow Tech and Max Tow. I have a 5,500lb RV trailer used all summer, but most trips are under 300km away. Range while towing under that load is still an unknown, I'm expecting 50% less. Not sure if the extra $20k is worth it at this time.

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
Has anyone done a cost analysis with Canadian pricing? I'm trying to determine if it's worth switching from my 2021 XLT V8 that I'm leasing. I paid $66,765 for a very well optioned model, and the Lightning is coming in at $85,895 for ER, Tow Tech and Max Tow. I have a 5,500lb RV trailer used all summer, but most trips are under 300km away. Range while towing under that load is still an unknown, I'm expecting 50% less. Not sure if the extra $20k is worth it at this time.
Only a very rough analysis. In Ontario with no rebates the fuel savings don’t come anywhere close to offsetting the increased cost, even assuming the carbon tax increases to $170/tonne by 2030 as planned.

If the Federal spring budget includes expanded EV rebates, or Doug Ford loses the election it might change the math.

50% is a reasonable assumption for range loss.

pbd05

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's a lot of variables to the comparison, but I've spent a bit of time looking at the two options. Without getting too far into the specifics, the purchase of the loaded XLT I priced out vs. the loaded XLT Lightning was $24.7k. That's after taxes and the higher finance rate (4% taken on the Lightning vs. 1.99%), $0 down or trade in just to keep it simple, and the PowerBoost engine on the ICE truck. Assuming a fuel consumption rate of 11.5 L/100km average on the ICE at $1.60 gas cost over 5 years, 20k KMs a year, and electrical rates at 10.5 cents/KwH, the "fuel" savings with the Lightning could be over $16k after 5 years. I'm just guessing at the Lightning's efficiency based on projected range vs. battery size vs. efficiency of other EVs out there.

If you're towing 300km one way with charging stations at your destination (or even on the way), the lightning might not be a bad choice. Trailer aerodynamics will have a bigger effect on range than weight, one thing to keep in mind (pop-up vs. standard travel trailer).

Sponsored

d2blake

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer/Contractor
For me driving 25,000km/yr, Hydro One rate of $0.23/kWh and gas at $1.50/L, the savings are $3,300/yr.

Insurance - I expect a 10-30% increase.

Towing performance - I expect a major increase when towing thanks to instant torque. Pulling onto busy roads or passing slow vehicles will be much smoother. Of course mileage is lower but I don't tow over 100km more than 2-3 times a year.

Convenience - never going to a gas station is huge for me. Maybe 2-3 times a year I go on a trip where I will have to fast charge rather than the 1-2 times a week I have to go out of my way for a gas station.

No idling - can eat lunch, work (emails/calls) or just wait around comfortably (AC or heat on) without starting the truck.

No oil changes / less maintenance.

Environmental impact is really important for me. I'm also installing solar with the $5k Federal grant so that will help offset things even more.

All these add up to way more than $20k of benefit for me over the life of the truck.

OP
OP

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Highlander, Mazda miata
The big question mark for me is depreciation. If the Lightning depreciates way faster than an ICE truck, the savings in fuel and maintenance are outweighed in the whole cost of ownership equation. Tesla seem to hold value really well but most other EV’s don’t. If you haven’t got an invite to order, then probably looking at a ‘23 or a ‘24, with a redesign in the works likely for 2025 with advances in range/cost/battery. But, maybe they will be a hot commodity that will hold value well. I am happy to pay a premium for saving the planet, and to have the unique driving experience of EV, just not sure how MUCH extra that would be worth to me.

Lui

First Name
lui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning
The big question mark for me is depreciation. If the Lightning depreciates way faster than an ICE truck, the savings in fuel and maintenance are outweighed in the whole cost of ownership equation. Tesla seem to hold value really well but most other EV’s don’t. If you haven’t got an invite to order, then probably looking at a ‘23 or a ‘24, with a redesign in the works likely for 2025 with advances in range/cost/battery. But, maybe they will be a hot commodity that will hold value well. I am happy to pay a premium for saving the planet, and to have the unique driving experience of EV, just not sure how MUCH extra that would be worth to me.
Considering chip shortages and parts shortages extending to 2024 well the value will stay high at least 2 years. Now considering that EV switching is coming faster than anticipated then even better for EV value. The only block is when the new model f150 2025 2026 comes, possibly with new battery tech and new features. Then ur value is guaranteed for at least 2024/2025

Forgot to mentioned that all competition is coming full throttle on 2025 2026

duallyben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-600, 2021 RAM 5500, 2019 int HV507 4X4
Occupation
self employeed
For me driving 25,000km/yr, Hydro One rate of $0.23/kWh and gas at $1.50/L, the savings are $3,300/yr.

Insurance - I expect a 10-30% increase.

Towing performance - I expect a major increase when towing thanks to instant torque. Pulling onto busy roads or passing slow vehicles will be much smoother. Of course mileage is lower but I don't tow over 100km more than 2-3 times a year.

Convenience - never going to a gas station is huge for me. Maybe 2-3 times a year I go on a trip where I will have to fast charge rather than the 1-2 times a week I have to go out of my way for a gas station.

No idling - can eat lunch, work (emails/calls) or just wait around comfortably (AC or heat on) without starting the truck.

No oil changes / less maintenance.

Environmental impact is really important for me. I'm also installing solar with the $5k Federal grant so that will help offset things even more.

All these add up to way more than $20k of benefit for me over the life of the truck.
Great and honest numbers with actual power costs vs just a rate number.
Thank you

hellb0y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat / Kona Electric
I placed my order with my local dealer January 12th - I am going with a XLT w/ tech package and I chose anti-matter blue or whatever way you spell it lol….coming off from a Lariat 2.7L…

I had a hard time deciding between the XLT and Lariat but the new XLT package in the Lightning has everything I want!!!

Sponsored

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
Placed my reservation on the day of the launch, and after not hearing anything I started checking google to see if there was any updates from other reservation holders. I'm so glad I did!

After reading about others reaching out to their respective dealers, I did the same and now I have an appointment booked for tomorrow to order my Lightning.

For those that are waiting, I highly recommend contacting your dealership!

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Placed my reservation on the day of the launch, and after not hearing anything I started checking google to see if there was any updates from other reservation holders. I'm so glad I did!

After reading about others reaching out to their respective dealers, I did the same and now I have an appointment booked for tomorrow to order my Lightning.

For those that are waiting, I highly recommend contacting your dealership!
Lucky. I think the dealers that are converting to orders right now are doing so without knowing how many they are actually getting. I've asked my dealer a few times and I just keep getting they don't know how many they are getting so arent converting to orders until then.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Lucky. I think the dealers that are converting to orders right now are doing so without knowing how many they are actually getting. I've asked my dealer a few times and I just keep getting they don't know how many they are getting so arent converting to orders until then.
I agree. Writing up purchase orders and getting deposits for something they have no clue when they will get.

pbd05

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My orders been placed and the deposit has been paid for my build as of last Friday. I went with a Lariat 511A in Antimatter Blue, MaxTow and the drop in bedliner. I'm the first order at this dealership of the 3 they've been allocated.

The two other dealerships that I have reservations at haven't contacted me yet. I have a feeling that these dealers have prioritized certain reservations over the order in which reservations were placed. My buddy's dad has an appointment this week to configure his build at one of these dealers and he reserved later than me.

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
My orders been placed and the deposit has been paid for my build as of last Friday. I went with a Lariat 511A in Antimatter Blue, MaxTow and the drop in bedliner. I'm the first order at this dealership of the 3 they've been allocated.

The two other dealerships that I have reservations at haven't contacted me yet. I have a feeling that these dealers have prioritized certain reservations over the order in which reservations were placed. My buddy's dad has an appointment this week to configure his build at one of these dealers and he reserved later than me.
What made you choose the drop in vs spray? I'm trying to find some info on the two and haven't had much luck.

The inboxes therapy demo had spray in, so I was planning on opting for that.
Sponsored