First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Powerboost, Supercrew, FX4, 502A
Occupation
Professional Bum
If we want the absolute best leveling device, are the spacers fine, or is the ultimate getting something like the Bilstein leveling shock/strut?

I am not against spacers but let's be real, it doesn't seem to be a true engineering marvel, but an adjustable strut/shock seems to be a more hard fix.
Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
I have driven both. The spacer retains the stock soft/plush suspension feel while the Bilstein's are on the firmer side but smooth. I went with the Bilsteins 5100s because it seems like a budget friendly option of getting a level and better suspension at the same time. I personally didn't like the floaty boat like feel of the stock suspension. If you do go Bilstein though my recommendation is don't do the top notch because that will be the most firmest setting since the spring is at full preload and it also doesn't leave any rake left. I would do the second to the top setting for a slightly better ride. At the end of the day you cant go wrong with either just comes down to preference.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
I have driven both. The spacer retains the stock soft/plush suspension feel while the Bilstein's are on the firmer side but smooth. I went with the Bilsteins 5100s because it seems like a budget friendly option of getting a level and better suspension at the same time. I personally didn't like the floaty boat like feel of the stock suspension. If you do go Bilstein though my recommendation is don't do the top notch because that will be the most firmest setting since the spring is at full preload and it also doesn't leave any rake left. I would do the second to the top setting for a slightly better ride. At the end of the day you cant go wrong with either just comes down to preference.
I wondered for those of us who have the MAX TOW package, if that affects the front springs any, meaning not giving that floating feeling, as mine sure doesn't feel like it's floating. I hear you, that's the one reason I am reluctant to do the Bilstein type leveling is I don't want to jack with the MAX TOW capabilities of the truck.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
I wondered for those of us who have the MAX TOW package, if that affects the front springs any, meaning not giving that floating feeling, as mine sure doesn't feel like it's floating. I hear you, that's the one reason I am reluctant to do the Bilstein type leveling is I don't want to jack with the MAX TOW capabilities of the truck.
I think if you like the stock suspension then a spacer kit will work just fine, if you want to firm up the ride a bit then a leveled shock and strut combo will do that for you. Just really depends on your ride preference. If you are interested in a spacer kit I have a Ready lift 2.25 inch I'm looking to sell.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
I think if you like the stock suspension then a spacer kit will work just fine, if you want to firm up the ride a bit then a leveled shock and strut combo will do that for you. Just really depends on your ride preference. If you are interested in a spacer kit I have a Ready lift 2.25 inch I'm looking to sell.
Is it new or used? For the 21 model? Hard to install? I did my entire Jeep JL suspension and lifts, trackbars, steering all of it and while tough for a 63 year old crawling on the ground I did it. I have any tool needed except spring compressors.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
Is it new or used? For the 21 model? Hard to install? I did my entire Jeep JL suspension and lifts, trackbars, steering all of it and while tough for a 63 year old crawling on the ground I did it. I have any tool needed except spring compressors.
Its used, but in good condition. Its just a piece of metal you'll never see once installed. Its for 15-20 but multiple people have been running it on the 21 model with no problem. It bolts right up to the strut top hat without an issue. The 2021 specific model is a 2 inch spacer and just adds alignment plates but haven't read anyone having an issue with alignment without them. You don't need spring compressors for install, it goes bolted on top of the struts you just need to rotate the strut bottom mount since you install reversed 180 degrees. There are a lot of YouTube videos on the install.
Sponsored