Leveling Kit While Towing

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
Looking into options for a leveling kit, but was curious about others experiences towing with one. I’ve seen mixed reviews on towing with a leveling kit. I tow a light 19’ runabout currently which is about 3500lbs.
Sponsored

pigpen23

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Depending what your tongue weight is, you may be fine with a leveling kit. I would suggest taking a measurement before hooking it up and then a measurement after it's hooked up. If there's enough sag, you may not want to do an exact leveling kit. Do like a 2" so you leave a slight rake then your truck won't look like its squatting.

OP
OP
mrtrav

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
Depending what your tongue weight is, you may be fine with a leveling kit. I would suggest taking a measurement before hooking it up and then a measurement after it's hooked up. If there's enough sag, you may not want to do an exact leveling kit. Do like a 2" so you leave a slight rake then your truck won't look like its squatting.
I’ve never personally weighed it, it I think my tongue weight should be just shy of 300 based on specs from Shoreland’r. My 14 explorer doesn’t squat too much which has 1200 payload capacity and 5500 towing capacity.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Folks I have spoken with suggested putting a mild level kit on and leaving a little rake so that the truck is level when towing. I am thinking of going 1.5" or 2". I believe I read in another forum post that the rake is about 3", so that would leave me with 1" to 1.5" of rake depending on what I choose.

pigpen23

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I did a 2" level and I have around a 1/2" (haven't measured to get exact) of rake left which is about perfect for the towing I do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mrtrav

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
I was considering a 2" level. What’s the best/proper way to measure the rake?

Goose2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 ford f150
I was considering a 2" level. What’s the best/proper way to measure the rake?
,measure from ground up to both the front and rear wheel lips. On level ground of coarse
Sponsored