• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Leasing an F-150 Lightning

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Incorrect, the current proposal is up front. As long as you qualify based on MSRP purchase price and income you can recieve the full amount of the credit up front. This is because now the Dealer can claim the credit allowing you a cash discount essentially.
How is that (income qualification) going to work? Are you going to have to share your tax return with the car sales droid? Will it be based on your income in the year you purchase? Prior year? If purchase year, and then your income ends up exceeding the limit, will you have to give money back to the dealer? Asking for a friend.
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
As I understand Options and RCL have the same residuals. If you put nothing down or minimal amount, the monthly payment will be higher. Add GAP on top of that, and the lease is simply more expensive than Options, which was my original point.
Yes sounds like the traditional lease is more expensive than the balloon finance option.
Without Ford giving back the $7500 tax incentive on a lease, I'd opt for the balloon finance option with ZERO down to claim the tax at the end of the year.

If the truck is stolen or totalled, on lease or Options you never get back your down or cap cost reduction you paid for.

GAP is definitely a must to prevent you from being upside down should the truck get stolen or totalled.

If I was financing to keep her for sure, I would put as much down and get GAP insurance plus low deductible insurance.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
How is that (income qualification) going to work? Are you going to have to share your tax return with the car sales droid? Will it be based on your income in the year you purchase? Prior year? If purchase year, and then your income ends up exceeding the limit, will you have to give money back to the dealer? Asking for a friend.
There's no way to know how it will work until it passes.

In the immortal words of Nancy Pelosi, you have to pass the legislation before you know what's in it.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's no way to know how it will work until it passes.

In the immortal words of Nancy Pelosi, you have to pass the legislation before you know what's in it.
Passing the law is just the beginning. You then have to wait months while IRS writes the rules. Until the rules are in place, don't expect the dealers or automakers to front you $12,500, without knowing if they'll ever get it back. They might give you a tax credit loan, but that will cost you in interest.

Sealevel

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 XLT Lightning SR
Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone know if or when the the Ford Options financing will be usable for the F150 Lightning? On Ford.com, it states it is only available for the Mustang Mach E currently.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The lessor claims the EV credit with a lease. The lessor can decide whether to pass these savings on to the lessee.

That said, I think the credit complicates the lease negotiation process by adding another nber into the mix.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The lessor claims the EV credit with a lease. The lessor can decide whether to pass these savings on to the lessee.

That said, I think the credit complicates the lease negotiation process by adding another nber into the mix.
And if the new law passes with income limitation, the lessor won't be able to get the credit, making leases simpler and even more expensive.

Pibblemobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
Too bad they don’t give a huge lease rebate like on the Fusion Energi. We had a $10,500 rebate as well as our dealer discount and CTP money. Our $40K Energi was over $15K off to lease which is unheard of.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Too bad they don’t give a huge lease rebate like on the Fusion Energi. We had a $10,500 rebate as well as our dealer discount and CTP money. Our $40K Energi was over $15K off to lease which is unheard of.
Haha, I wish. The Fusion and C-Max Energi weren't really flying off the lots like the F150L will. I loved my C-Max Energi but it wasn't exactly a desirable vehicle :)

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech

Lease credits are easy to see as they are a cap cost reduction (CCR) which ultimately reduces the amount of monthly "rental charge" you pay for the duration of the lease.

I have leased 2 cars recently and have to say that BMW does not pass along the entire credit to the leasee (customer) - they passed about 50% back ($3500) plus dealer discount. This car will be turned back in (high residual).

OTOH Honda passed 100% plus $3000 on my Clarity.
My $35K Clarity got: $7500 instant credit, $3000 Honda incentive, $3500 dealer credit which was a total of $14,000 off the MSRP. Monthly came out to $285/month.
Then when you roll in post sales rebates from the state & local - I got $1500 CVRP, $1000 Utility and free L2 charger - it's even cheaper net cost....
This car is being kept at the end of lease due to the low residual (RV) and 10 year EV battery warranty.

With Ford's LIghtning, using the Option financing, it appears you can get the benefit of a lease (little to zero down), $7500 tax credit at the end of the year like financing, and still have a decision at the end of the Option financing to keep her by buying her out or turning her back in.
Since it's a first year, new model, high tech truck I will be leasing her as I have learned over 40 years of automotive ownership - it's better to err on caution....

And don't get me started on a first year Land Rover I recently turned back in....

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Lease credits are easy to see as they are a cap cost reduction (CCR) which ultimately reduces the amount of monthly "rental charge" you pay for the duration of the lease.

I have leased 2 cars recently and have to say that BMW does not pass along the entire credit to the leasee (customer) - they passed about 50% back ($3500) plus dealer discount. This car will be turned back in (high residual).

OTOH Honda passed 100% plus $3000 on my Clarity.
My $35K Clarity got: $7500 instant credit, $3000 Honda incentive, $3500 dealer credit which was a total of $14,000 off the MSRP. Monthly came out to $285/month.
Then when you roll in post sales rebates from the state & local - I got $1500 CVRP, $1000 Utility and free L2 charger - it's even cheaper net cost....
This car is being kept at the end of lease due to the low residual (RV) and 10 year EV battery warranty.

With Ford's LIghtning, using the Option financing, it appears you can get the benefit of a lease (little to zero down), $7500 tax credit at the end of the year like financing, and still have a decision at the end of the Option financing to keep her by buying her out or turning her back in.
Since it's a first year, new model, high tech truck I will be leasing her as I have learned over 40 years of automotive ownership - it's better to err on caution....

And don't get me started on a first year Land Rover I recently turned back in....
I wouldn't bank on a 10th year Land Rover being better?

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Last edited:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
It's a great tool, but it does not compare Options to lease. It compares Option to traditional loan.
Yes, sorry, I mistyped. Fixed it.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Yes, sorry, I mistyped. Fixed it.
Love it !
I can now see some "representative" numbers - not for the Lightning, but at least be able to see the difference in 36 vs 48 month balloon Options financing!

Definitely looks like a lease but is termed as a balloon financing.

I will definitely use the Options financing as this is a first year, new model year truck.
Sponsored