First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 BMW E39 M5, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Engineering Management
I have spent about 20 hours learning all the features of the 2021: the instrument panel, the various buttons, the infotainment, sync4, etc.

The last vehicle I bought new was 20 years ago and so I had a lot of catching up to do on software enabled capabilities, especially safety related. I am about halfway through the reading of the 700+ page owners manual ... most of which is mind numbing.

So, I thought I‘d start keeping a running list of things that I’ve learned that might be of interest to others:

1) This button above the 12 inch screen disables the audible warning that you receive when you are about to run into something. I couldn’t find this info in the manual. I had to ask the dealer.

Ford F-150 Learning all the features 09174D97-B4F4-4E2B-92DF-8BFC5882406F

2) You can set up to 6 pages of preselected audio sources (stations or channels) on your audio system but when you turn off the vehicle, the system defaults back to two. Fortunately, your custom programmed list of favorites hasn’t been lost. You have to go back to your settings and enable the 6 pages and they should reappear. A search of the Ford issues on their website suggests that they know about this and will correct with a future firmware download.
Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
2) You can set up to 6 pages of preselected audio sources (stations or channels) on your audio system but when you turn off the vehicle, the system defaults back to two. Fortunately, your custom programmed list of favorites hasn’t been lost. You have to go back to your settings and enable the 6 pages and they should reappear. A search of the Ford issues on their website suggests that they know about this and will correct with a future firmware download.

XLT 302A here, this doesn't happen to me yet. I use at least 4 sets of memory settings that persists day after day for the last 2 months.

kmayer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 F250
Occupation
Web Design Agency
Great idea for a thread. Just downloaded the manual a few days ago in anticipation of having the truck in a couple months, and the manual is pretty hard to get through.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Great idea for a thread. Just downloaded the manual a few days ago in anticipation of having the truck in a couple months, and the manual is pretty hard to get through.
Where did you download it from? I have only found it on the SYNC4 system and in the Ford Pass app. I see that it is a PDF in the app, but could not figure out how to save it (iOS).

And my neighbors are beginning to wonder about me - I sit in my truck for long periods of time... o_O

Sponsored

clipperqb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 3.5 EB, Super Crew, 4X4
OP
OP

mwooly

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Management
Where did you download it from? I have only found it on the SYNC4 system and in the Ford Pass app. I see that it is a PDF in the app, but could not figure out how to save it (iOS).

And my neighbors are beginning to wonder about me - I sit in my truck for long periods of time... o_O
I know what you mean about the long periods of sitting in the truck whilst learning it. The learning reminds me of when general aviation airplanes switched over from standard instrument gauges (which l learned on when I first started flying 40 years ago) to “glass cockpits.” Many pilots spent so much time on the ground and in the hanger operating the newer instruments that the aircraft had to be hooked up to auxiliary power to avoid draining the batteries. Eventually Garmin came out with a PC based simulator that you could practice on. It’s not so practical to pull out the manual when you‘re on an instrument approach and in the clouds. This F150 has a lot going on. Geez!

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I have spent about 20 hours learning all the features of the 2021: the instrument panel, the various buttons, the infotainment, sync4, etc.

The last vehicle I bought new was 20 years ago and so I had a lot of catching up to do on software enabled capabilities, especially safety related. I am about halfway through the reading of the 700+ page owners manual ... most of which is mind numbing.

So, I thought I‘d start keeping a running list of things that I’ve learned that might be of interest to others:

1) This button above the 12 inch screen disables the audible warning that you receive when you are about to run into something. I couldn’t find this info in the manual. I had to ask the dealer.

09174D97-B4F4-4E2B-92DF-8BFC5882406F.jpeg

Good to know about the radio presets. I will have a lot to add between AM/FM and Sirius/XM!

Sponsored

grosbiz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback, 2015 Nissan Rogue

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
There is so much tech packed into these trucks, and no good way to learn it. I agree with what others have said, the owner's manual is a snooze fest, and not very well organized, either. Seems like a video series might be the only way to learn. Play it on your 'device' while in the truck so you could try each feature as it comes up.

OP
OP

mwooly

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Management
There is so much tech packed into these trucks, and no good way to learn it. I agree with what others have said, the owner's manual is a snooze fest, and not very well organized, either. Seems like a video series might be the only way to learn. Play it on your 'device' while in the truck so you could try each feature as it comes up.
I agree. In fact, I’ll go one step further. It would be nice if they had a virtual simulator. So, while at you PC, you can operate buttons, change settings, etc. and there would be a simulated response. You could learn at your own pace. For example, the setting of the zone lighting could be augmented by a 2D/3D graphical representation of the truck that shows what turns on and off without actually being in the truck and jumping in and out of the cab, not to mention draining batteries. Another example is the setting of the adaptive cruise control and the lane assist. I am a hardware engineer, not a software engineer, but it seems to me that much of the code that operates the real truck could be greatly leveraged.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
There is so much tech packed into these trucks, and no good way to learn it. I agree with what others have said, the owner's manual is a snooze fest, and not very well organized, either. Seems like a video series might be the only way to learn. Play it on your 'devi ce' while in the truck so you could try each feature as it comes up.
There are a lot on youtube.
Also they have added some to your
Fordpass app.
Remember you can pull the manual up on your display screen while sitting in the truck.