Lay flat seats PowerBoost Carbon Monoxide

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
I have a PowerBoost that just got built that is on the way and I had some questions.

1) Are the lay flat seats usable as a rough camp bed for a full night’s sleep?

2) Is it safe to camp in the cabin with the PowerBoost using heat or the a/c? I’m concerned about carbon monoxide build up. I’ll be putting a CO detector in the cabin in any case.
Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
#2. I'd say you'd be fine. As someone that spent many nights in a truck when I was in the military (Air Force), never had an issue. We drove V10 and diesel F-350 trucks.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
#2. I'd say you'd be fine. As someone that spent many nights in a truck when I was in the military (Air Force), never had an issue. We drove V10 and diesel F-350 trucks.
This. As long as you are not parked in an enclosed space (which by definition of 'camping' you shouldn't be ;) ) you will be fine.

TN Rotty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Crew Cab Plat 6.5'
This. As long as you are not parked in an enclosed space (which by definition of 'camping' you shouldn't be ;) ) you will be fine.
Ditto - be aware that snow can create an enclosed space or block the tail pipe and trap CO in the vehicle causing death. Probably a rare event - but it can occur and apparently very quickly.

From another source:
This hazard was demonstrated tragically in 2016 when 23-year-old New Jersey mother Sashalynn Rosa and her two small children died sitting in a running car trying to keep warm as the children’s father worked to clear snow from around the vehicle, as television station WABC reported at the time:

“It’s hard to lose them like that,” says boy’s grandfather, Felix Bonilla.
His son, Felix Bonilla, Jr. had been digging out the family’s car while his girlfriend and their two children sat inside to stay warm. With the car’s engine on, and its tail pipe clogged by snow, the odorless, invisible gas seeped into the car in minutes, killing the mother and her baby boy. The little girl also unconscious, was kept alive by paramedics and a bystander who was not afraid to get involved. …
Police say the tragedy is a reminder to people to make sure their tailpipes are free and clear because it doesn’t take long for cars to fill up with carbon monoxide.
Rosa’s daughter also passed away at a regional hospital soon afterwards.

In the wake of these deaths, WABC visited the Maplewood Fire Department in New Jersey to conduct an informal experiment showing just how quickly the passenger compartment of a car buried in snow could fill up with carbon monoxide gas. It took only 1 minute and 24 seconds for levels to spike to dangerous levels inside the running vehicle.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
I'm curious about the lay flat seats myself... I saw a comment somewhere someone said the lay flat seats let them use a setup with an air mattress to pretty much take up most of the cab space for camping. Wish I could find that again to see if I can get more details.

As for carbon monoxide, I always have a CO sensor or two and fresh batteries for camping. Used to car camp and ski quite a bit. Bigger storms could dump enough snow to restrict exhaust or even bury a vehicle. Also good to have one if heating a large tent with a stove. You just never know.... peace of mind I guess.

Sponsored

OpsWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PowerBoost
the engine cycles on and off to maintain the power boost battery rather then staying on nonstop. You should be fine as long as the vehicle itself is out In the open air ofcourse.

AC is electric, so it’s nice having it on with engine off most the time. I think my engine turns on for 2-3 minutes a few times per hour to keep the battery healthy.

Mind you the car does shake when it starts which might wake you up until your used to it. Feels like someone just low speed rear ended you in a drive-thru ?

OP
OP
thudnblunder

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Thanks!

OP
OP
thudnblunder

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
the engine cycles on and off to maintain the power boost battery rather then staying on nonstop. You should be fine as long as the vehicle itself is out In the open air ofcourse.

AC is electric, so it’s nice having it on with engine off most the time. I think my engine turns on for 2-3 minutes a few times per hour to keep the battery healthy.

Mind you the car does shake when it starts which might wake you up until your used to it. Feels like someone just low speed rear ended you in a drive-thru ?
I'm really looking forward to going camping with the PowerBoost. :)
Sponsored