Sponsored

Lariat w Active 2.0 Prep - Tow Technology Package vs Trailer Tow Package Pricing/Features

CI6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Does anyone know what is the difference between the Tow Technology vs the Trailer Tow Package on a Lariat based on the following configuration?

502A High
- This includes the Class IV hitch (which has the 7 pin harness, smart trailer connector/BLIS)
Active 2.0 Prep
- This requires the 360 camera ($765)

If I add the Tow Technology Package (priced at $880) the net price increase is only $115 given the Tow Tech package includes the 360 camera and trailer brake controller.

If instead I select the Trailer Tow Package the increase is the full amount of the package cost of $1,090.

So my question is what is the difference between the Tow Tech Package on a Lariat with the Active 2.0 Prep package vs the Trailer Tow package as the net increase between these two options is $975 ($1,090 less $115).

Read the post on the differences between packages and the ford towing pdf. Since the Lariat comes with Class IV hitch, 7 pin harness and adding the tow tech package, i think it gives you everything the Trailer Tow Package has. However, i do note that the ford towing pdf says

"Do not exceed a trailer weight of 7,000 lbs. (3,175 kg) or 36 sq. ft. (3.4 sq. m) trailer frontal area with only the Class IV hitch (53B), without the Trailer Tow Package (53A)."

From what I can see in this table, 17T combined with 53B gets you everything the Trailer Tow Package has (53A), but at $975 less cost. Is there something that I'm missing that the 53A has over the combined 17T and 53B?

Do recognize that the trailer weight disclaimer of 7,000 without the 53A, seems like that might the only thing?

Ford F-150 Lariat w Active 2.0 Prep - Tow Technology Package vs Trailer Tow Package Pricing/Features 1609394869768

Seems like an ordering guide quirk that only happens if one orders the Active 2.0 Prep, without the Active 2.0 Prep the pricing difference between the packages is $210 ($1,090 less $880).

But the pricing difference still does not make sense to me since the 17T and 53B combined have all the items of 53C (and additionally one also gets the 360 camera).

Thanks
Sponsored

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
Had the same question about why a dealer would order the trailer tow package on a high level platinum because it adds nothing but the price..

The ONLY thing we could find is that the trailer tow or max tow was required to get tow mirrors as well. The platinum I saw with the trailer tow package did not have tow mirrors, so even more of a waste of money.. $995 for nothing that I could find..

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Had the same question about why a dealer would order the trailer tow package on a high level platinum because it adds nothing but the price..

The ONLY thing we could find is that the trailer tow or max tow was required to get tow mirrors as well. The platinum I saw with the trailer tow package did not have tow mirrors, so even more of a waste of money.. $995 for nothing that I could find..
Yep, I have a high Lariat on order, and I went Max Tow, because at least I get something. The e-locker, hitch, are already included, and the tank is voided. Luckily I got it ordered before the price went up. I really just wanted the mirrors, and the extra capability just made sense for a couple hundred bucks. Still getting gouged based on the stuff already included.

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
You guys sound like me last week. Spent hours looking into this. The only difference I could find is the solid sway/stabilizer bar in the Trailer Tow Package. Everything else I could find was identical, even the cooling.

I ended just going with the Tow Technology Package as it comes with the 360 cameras. I don't plan to tow more than 7000lbs, though I can always add a solid stabilizer bar for a lot less than the $1000 difference to upgrade to the Trailer Tow Package. Ford has stupid packages that only confuse people and let's Ford double dip on some items.

OP
OP

CI6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
You guys sound like me last week. Spent hours looking into this. The only difference I could find is the solid sway/stabilizer bar in the Trailer Tow Package. Everything else I could find was identical, even the cooling.

I ended just going with the Tow Technology Package as it comes with the 360 cameras. I don't plan to tow more than 7000lbs, though I can always add a solid stabilizer bar for a lot less than the $1000 difference to upgrade to the Trailer Tow Package. Ford has stupid packages that only confuse people and let's Ford double dip on some items.

could you point to source of the difference, may tow around 9,000.

wondering if that stabilizer bar is only in the max tow package (understand that comes with large rear brakes (& e-brake), bumper/frame reinforcement and the 3/4 floating axle. Don't envision needing that level of max towing capacity.

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
could you point to source of the difference, may tow around 9,000.

wondering if that stabilizer bar is only in the max tow package (understand that comes with large rear brakes (& e-brake), bumper/frame reinforcement and the 3/4 floating axle. Don't envision needing that level of max towing capacity.
I haven't validated anything about the different rear axel of the Max Tow, though I haven't looked into it. The Max Tow should also come with the solid stabilizer bar.

To be honest most of the Unicorn stats that the F-150 is bosting is pure marketing. By offering theoretical builds that have huge stats, but are equipped in a way that very few people would ever buy one is how ford can be competitive vs. RAM, GM, & etc.

They don't offer HDPP in any higher trim levels as it would cannibalize their F250 business.

Here are the stats I collected for Trailer Tow Package vs. Tow Technology Package: https://www.f150forum.com/f82/tow-technology-vs-trailer-tow-packages-491149/index2/#post6796970
Sponsored