Lane centering saying keep hands on wheel message even when hands are on wheel

NetworkJunkie

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch
When using the Lane Centering feature does anyone else keep getting the message to put your hands on the steering wheel even though they are on the wheel (except when taking this picture).
Do you have to have a death grip on the wheel? Where are the sensors? My 2016 just required one hand with a lite squeeze.
344F9D98-32C3-4FA9-BBB6-A81D106902A3.jpeg
I've noticed the same thing. I keep my hands at the bottom of the steering wheel, and it does not detect them if I am not giving any input. It really sucks because the centering works very well. It defeats the purpose of having lane-centering when you have to jerk the steering every 10-15 seconds to avoid this warning. Its more work to keep the alert from coming up than just centering the vehicle yourself.

Hopefully, Ford will come up with an update.

The only workaround I have found is to apply a little bit of weight to one side of the steering wheel. Basically, slightly pull the steering wheel to one side, which feels very unnatural, like I am trying to drive off the road. Or let your arm rest on it like a few others have described. I tried a few clamps on the steering wheel, and that didn't work. I imagine that a 5 lbs weight on one side would do the trick, but I'm not sure how safe that solution would be.
Sponsored

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
When using the Lane Centering feature does anyone else keep getting the message to put your hands on the steering wheel even though they are on the wheel (except when taking this picture).
Do you have to have a death grip on the wheel? Where are the sensors? My 2016 just required one hand with a lite squeeze.
344F9D98-32C3-4FA9-BBB6-A81D106902A3.jpeg
Lol I love when I can get the message. But if you move the wheel just a touch ever so often it won't come up.

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
I've noticed the same thing, sure feels weird though. :LOL:
I turned mine on when I picked up the truck and never turned it of. I do move the wheel like normal driving but do let it drive itself with a little movement by me. However I can't wait for the full auto drive upgrade coming this summer. Told dealership I want the upgrade as soon as it's available.

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Maybe Ford can merge with Netflix, then they can just ask in a message "Are you still watching??"
You do know it you are in an accident they can get a recording through the 360 cameras and the cameras inside the truck.

Sponsored

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I've noticed the same thing. I keep my hands at the bottom of the steering wheel, and it does not detect them if I am not giving any input. It really sucks because the centering works very well. It defeats the purpose of having lane-centering when you have to jerk the steering every 10-15 seconds to avoid this warning. Its more work to keep the alert from coming up than just centering the vehicle yourself.

Hopefully, Ford will come up with an update.

The only workaround I have found is to apply a little bit of weight to one side of the steering wheel. Basically, slightly pull the steering wheel to one side, which feels very unnatural, like I am trying to drive off the road. Or let your arm rest on it like a few others have described. I tried a few clamps on the steering wheel, and that didn't work. I imagine that a 5 lbs weight on one side would do the trick, but I'm not sure how safe that solution would be.
I have a force gauge, I'm going to do some testing to see how much weight would work but not over do it.

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
It might just be me (I'm old, 63, and remember driving cars with hand roll down windows and 2 speed automatic transmissions) but what is the purpose and practicality of a lane centering system that requires you to constantly manually move the wheel so it knows you have your hands on the steering wheel? Either drive it yourself moving the wheel to maintain control in the center of the lane or the truck should do it itself and not need constant input with the driver wiggling the wheel.

I know the system coming in the fall is supposed to be more autonomous and watch your face and eyes to make sure you are awake and watching the road but this current system seems to me to be the worst of both worlds. It would drive me nuts to have this alarm message constantly coming up on the screen in front of me making me take my eyes off the road and then have to tug the wheel to make it go away.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
It might just be me (I'm old, 63, and remember driving cars with hand roll down windows and 2 speed automatic transmissions) but what is the purpose and practicality of a lane centering system that requires you to constantly manually move the wheel so it knows you have your hands on the steering wheel? Either drive it yourself moving the wheel to maintain control in the center of the lane or the truck should do it itself and not need constant input with the driver wiggling the wheel.

I know the system coming in the fall is supposed to be more autonomous and watch your face and eyes to make sure you are awake and watching the road but this current system seems to me to be the worst of both worlds. It would drive me nuts to have this alarm message constantly coming up on the screen in front of me making me take my eyes off the road and then have to tug the wheel to make it go away.
I agree. I have found that in my Tesla, a 14-ounce weight on one side of the steering wheel will simulate a hand on the wheel and end the nagging reminder. Amazon sells 1/8" sheet lead that can be cut with a pair of tin snips to fit, and a little plasti-dip spray finishes the job. Used "only off-road" and never to defeat safety features, of course.

21limited

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I agree. I have found that in my Tesla, a 14-ounce weight on one side of the steering wheel will simulate a hand on the wheel and end the nagging reminder. Amazon sells 1/8" sheet lead that can be cut with a pair of tin snips to fit, and a little plasti-dip spray finishes the job. Used "only off-road" and never to defeat safety features, of course.
The easiest solution I found was a 1.5 lb wrist weight from a sporting goods store works well. It just velcros on.

Sponsored

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
I too have dealt with this, I saw where you can turn off some alert notifications but can you specify just this one. I noticed that if you don't do something soon it will turn off the drive assist.

Have you got yours to work without turning off?

I would use it more if I didn't have to keep slightly turning the steering wheel.
Sounds like we need to have this added to the FORScan 'wish list'. I will not be a slave to my technology! :LOL:

libby2cm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Platinum
Occupation
Computer Stuff
Just did my 3rd longish trip in my '21 with LKA/DA turned on whole time as I usually do. Yes, I have to jiggle the wheel every 10 secs or so to dismiss the alert, but still worth it to me. Same concept as a locomotive alerter more or less. Makes driving so much easier. I suppose the only difference with 'bluecruise' will be the eye tracking to avoid having to touch the wheel at all, and for the price to buy the license that's been tossed around, I don't think I see the value to me. I'm good with a 2 finger wheel jiggle, lol. I think a few PM's at ford may have screwed up their approach a bit.

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I will never use the lane centering, so I had better not see that in my truck.
Sponsored