First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Has anyone else encountered the Lane Center portion of the driver assistance shutting off with no warning?

I'm not talking about when it can't see the lines in the road for a while and the circle turns orange and says "Cancelled." When it does this it comes back on automatically once it can determine where the edges of the road are again.

I'm talking about driving down a road with well defined edge lines and suddenly the truck starts drifting in the lane, you look down and the circle is off. No warning or indication, it just shut itself off. The adaptive cruise spacing and Lane-Keeping are both still on, but Lane Centering is off.

Even more irritatingly, no matter what I try I cannot get it to come back on and activate again short of stopping, shutting off the truck completely, opening the door and closing to shut down everything, and restarting again. Then it works completely normally.

After it shuts off if you turn off Lane-Keeping (via the button on the steering wheel) and turn it back on again you get this message:

Ford F-150 Lane Centering randomly shutting off PXL_20210509_213309445

The first time this happened I assumed that I had just missed something. Today however it happened twice on the same trip.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them?
Sponsored

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
I have had this happen on 2 lane roads before. I could t figure out how to get it back on and there wasn’t any rhyme or reason why it did it. It did turn back on when I went onto a divided highway.

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
Mine shuts off randomly at times too, sometimes even when the truck isn't even moving or when it's in park. Never could figure it out.

Trashman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I have noticed that after a time lane centering seems to get tired. It will go on and off for various road irregularities then she throws up her hands and says I'm done! and never comes back on no matter how good the conditions until we stop the truck and rest and start over. That's how I know lane centering is a she.

KD10

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR 3.5
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same issue occasionally. Only way I have found to re-activate lane centering is to shut down the truck and restart. I would agree that on a few occasions, it has turned itself off without warning or a “cancelled” message and then gives the “Lance Centering Assist not Available“ warning when trying to turn it back on.

I’m hoping this is something Ford picks up on and comes out with a fix for as it’s frustrating on road trips to pull over and restart.

Sponsored

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
I have the same issue occasionally. Only way I have found to re-activate lane centering is to shut down the truck and restart. I would agree that on a few occasions, it has turned itself off without warning or a “cancelled” message and then gives the “Lance Centering Assist not Available“ warning when trying to turn it back on.

I’m hoping this is something Ford picks up on and comes out with a fix for as it’s frustrating on road trips to pull over and restart.
Yep, only way. I haven't noticed it with lane centering. It usually happens when its in CoPilot360. Steering by itself, then cancelled. Not the case with me, but it can also cancel if bright sunshine hits the camera(s)... only the past few days. Also didn't recognize my vin on the Onscreen Fordpass. Shut truck down and restarted, ok. Weird ghost stuff... Or gremlins... ;)

59turbo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 F150, ‘04 Ram2500, ‘87 Mustang, ‘73 F250
Occupation
Service tech
This happened to me 3 times on the trip to Nashville and back this past weekend, I’m in Connecticut so it’s 1000 miles each way. The first time I noticed it I didn’t know what happened, the second time it did it I think I pissed it off when I was changing lanes without using the turn signal and the last time it happened was when it lost the white line while going by an entrance ramp but that last time it said cancelled and it never came back on. I’ve also seen it cancel because it loses the white line on one side but it comes back once the lines are clear again. The camera lenses seem clean, I’m at a loss too.

OP
OP
apMechorse

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I can understand it when it loses the line and days "Cancelled" and temporarily shuts itself off, but the problem I have with it is it just stops working. I look down and the circle around the truck is off, and it never comes back.

When I turn off lane assist and turn it back on, I get this message:

Ford F-150 Lane Centering randomly shutting off PXL_20210531_054302144

and it won't come back until the truck is completely shut off and restarted.

It's staring to piss me off, actually.

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
is your windshield clean or perhaps is the camera being affected by dirt or bug guts?

OP
OP
apMechorse

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
is your windshield clean or perhaps is the camera being affected by dirt or bug guts?
Cameras and windshield locations are all clean. At least in my case.

Also I would think if that were causing it to fail, it would not come back on as soon as the truck is restarted.

Sponsored

59turbo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 F150, ‘04 Ram2500, ‘87 Mustang, ‘73 F250
Occupation
Service tech
Yeah I have to stop and turn the truck off and restart it for it to work again.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Happened to me on a divided highway in the rain, in the first hour of a 4 hour drive. Same error message for the rest of the drive, could not turn it back on. Next day, working fine.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Ok, this issue is getting really annoying. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why this should happen. I thought it might be sun hitting the cameras but it has now happened in the sun and in the shade. I thought it might have to do with using the mode on twist roads but it’s now happened on a highway. It always seems to happen when something “tricks” the system, either an off ramp, badly faded line. There is obviously an error in the code that is falling into a fail state with no recovery but restarting the truck.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I just made the same 4 hour drive (8 hour round trip), this time with even heavier rain. No problem this time or in other driving.

Itsjustmd

First Name
Jayce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
This has happened to me. Has to be a bug. Hopefully they fix it soon.
Sponsored