Lane Centering Not Working

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
I was testing the lane centering feature today on the freeway (nobody nearby). I let the truck drift and it went fully into the next lane, no alerts or auto correction. I checked the settings and the lane centering is set to alert and auto correct itself. I tried with my hands on the wheel and without to test if it was due to maybe that being the case. Is any other setting needed for it to center itself? I was not in cruise control, but I would have assumed that it would work under normal operation.
Sponsored

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
I was testing the lane centering feature today on the freeway (nobody nearby). I let the truck drift and it went fully into the next lane, no alerts or auto correction. I checked the settings and the lane centering is set to alert and auto correct itself. I tried with my hands on the wheel and without to test if it was due to maybe that being the case. Is any other setting needed for it to center itself? I was not in cruise control, but I would have assumed that it would work under normal operation.
I am still under 300mi, with limited freeway driving during break-in, and I think I set it at minimal assist level. I can say without cruise control on, I for sure feel the wheel vibrate and I believe it kind of fights the wheel to make sure I'm giving it the input to go out of the lane (figment of my imagination?). With cruise control it is unmistakable, and it scolds me if I take my hands off the wheel for more than 5 seconds.

I'll have to set it to highest level and see if it's more pronounced and what new surprises it throws at me.

At the rate it's going w/covid, I'll be discovering new things for 6 months or more. So far this truck is awesome (knock on wood). Only complaint is the 2 computer fans under the backseat.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I messed with mine and thought the same thing, cruise control needs to be on for Lane Centering. There are a few videos on it but there really needs to be a definitive guide for its use.

I believe that the Lane Departure can be set to work without cruise control on. I haven’t messed with that yet.

I only have 400mi. on my truck after a month and maybe 30-40mi. are on the highway.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
The settings you configure ahead of time via the menu on the touchscreen, but the enable/disable is done via the steering wheel button. I'm not trying to be condescending if that is already basic information, but I have seen one other user that didn't realize this and there are probably more as it isn't intuitive.

I toggle mine on, but I notice it likes to turn itself off occasionally, but I haven't looked up why yet. Simple to re-enable with my thumb though.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I messed with mine and thought the same thing, cruise control needs to be on for Lane Centering. There are a few videos on it but there really needs to be a definitive guide for its use.

I believe that the Lane Departure can be set to work without cruise control on. I haven’t messed with that yet.

I only have 400mi. on my truck after a month and maybe 30-40mi. are on the highway.
Oh! Yes lane centering is only part of cruise control, while lane warning/correction can be toggled with the steering wheel button independently. My bad, I conflated the features.

The lane centering works great (tested for a few hours today) except in construction zones with temporary weird alignment and temporary stripes, it gives a "take control!" warning or similar.

As mentioned in another post here just now, the adaptive cruise control is INCREDIBLE at optimizing Powerboost MPG... I frickin love it already!

Sponsored

OP
OP
mrtrav

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
This is great information. My dealer didn’t do a great job explaining how features actually worked, only that they were available in the truck. Thanks for the info.

Drandpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
This is great information. My dealer didn’t do a great job explaining how features actually worked, only that they were available in the truck. Thanks for the info.
When you enable cruise control look at your truck Pic in your cluster. You will see a blue bubble directly in front if Adaptive cruise is enabled and active, once lane centering is active you'll get a second blue "bubble" that encompasses the truck logo. Here is a screen grab a different user made a video of, look at the cluster screen to see those "bubbles".

Ford F-150 Lane Centering Not Working 2021-F-150-Lane-Centerin

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone else's turn off occasionally and have you figured out why? I know that even though I did not disable it manually, I would see it disabled in the instrument cluster and have to manually re-enable it.

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
Does anyone else's turn off occasionally and have you figured out why? I know that even though I did not disable it manually, I would see it disabled in the instrument cluster and have to manually re-enable it.
It needs definitive lane lines to read, if you go through an area without them it might turn off then come back on once there are lines on both sides of the lane.

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Yes, this needs to see the lanes. The Cadillac system uses GPS which works great on the interstate and doesn't need to see the lanes. There's a word for the Cadillac system which I can't remember.

Desertdweller

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired
Oh! Yes lane centering is only part of cruise control, while lane warning/correction can be toggled with the steering wheel button independently. My bad, I conflated the features.

The lane centering works great (tested for a few hours today) except in construction zones with temporary weird alignment and temporary stripes, it gives a "take control!" warning or similar.

As mentioned in another post here just now, the adaptive cruise control is INCREDIBLE at optimizing Powerboost MPG... I frickin love it already!
Has anyone noticed that the truck will kind of hunt left and right to stay between the lines? It works well on straight highways, but on a winding road I don't feel confident that it will stay in the lane. A couple times it would have ran out of the lane sometimes because of broken lines at entry or exit roads while in a curve. Overall I'm impressed, but eagerly await the Pilot 2.0 upgrade although I'm not sure what additional features other than hands free I will get?

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
Has anyone noticed that the truck will kind of hunt left and right to stay between the lines? It works well on straight highways, but on a winding road I don't feel confident that it will stay in the lane. A couple times it would have ran out of the lane sometimes because of broken lines at entry or exit roads while in a curve. Overall I'm impressed, but eagerly await the Pilot 2.0 upgrade although I'm not sure what additional features other than hands free I will get?
Was your cruise control on, because that sounds more like Lane helping than Lane centering?

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Cruise control must be on for it to intervene