Lane Centering Hands on the Wheel

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
You must either be lifted and not recalibrated or you don’t have lane centering on. Mine tracks dead center with no intervention
Lifted 2" (Fox/Roush shocks) but dealer did the install and re-aligned/re-calibrated as part of the process. It's not swaying out of the lanes, but the constant microadjustments just aren't that smooth.
Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
And God forbid you have an accident and forget to remove the ankle weight and hide it before the other driver or cop sees it....

Seahawk51

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mercedes GLS450, 2013 Chevy Equinox, 2021 Ford F-150 on order
Occupation
Retired
How does the steering wheel sense hands on the wheel? My 2022 Lariat works great and I drove from Asheville to Waynesville a few nights back using "Lane Centering". Everything worked perfectly except I would occasionally get the message to put hands on the wheel but they were already there. Sometimes I would press down on the wheel to clear the message and sometimes I would just squeeze harder. But I never figured out just exactly how the wheel sensed my hands. Any ideas?
I just drive with my left arm on my left thigh, and I hold the wheel with my thumb and first two fingers at the 7 o'clock position. About every 10 seconds I nudge it about 1/2". That seems to be enough to make it happy.

Bullitt4859

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
01 Mustang Bullitt, 21 F150 Lariat Powerboost
i just rest my wrist on top of the steering wheel and if the weight of my arm isnt enough ill give it some resistance. Also i have noticed on a lot of vehicles with lane centering that off/on ramps confuse it so staying in the middle lane is best.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
I stoppped using lane centering after I realized it basically makes you look like you're driving drunk...
mine will do the lane boundary test on first time turned on on our 2 lane state hwy, it takes a few seconds maybe 10 to find center and be all ok.
but IMO the truck might be centered in the lane by me looking at the mirrors, but it still feels to close to the center , so a trim option would be a nice feature.
on the 4 lane highway its freaky how well it behaves ..impressive

Sponsored

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Very simple to not get warnings, place ONE hand on either the 3 or 9 o'clock spoke, relax and let the weight of your hand and arm rest on the spoke. I've driven trips from Colorado to Florida and another to Illinois like this and rarely ever get a warning. Two hands on the wheel counteract each other and gets very frequent warnings. 12 or 6(or close to it) with 1 hand is also useless to prevent warnings. Is it possible that other trucks are more or less sensitive than mine? Yes, but this method works flawlessly for me.

Hivolt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 4x4 super crew, max tow, 400hp 302
If my hands are busy, unwrapping a protein bar or something, I sometimes bump the steering wheel with my leg every few seconds until I am done.

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
The post above about lifting the suspension was certainly something to consider before doing it. I’m sure a simple steering dampener would solve any drift issue.
Lifting the front end would change the wind drag on the body causing for frequent drift of the truck. That lower wind dampener certainly loads the front end going 70 mph. Keeping it planted. Especially with a 2.7 no weight.

Granch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 platinum
Turn off lane keeping aid set to alert only should solve this issue of hands on wheel message

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Very simple to not get warnings, place ONE hand on either the 3 or 9 o'clock spoke, relax and let the weight of your hand and arm rest on the spoke. I've driven trips from Colorado to Florida and another to Illinois like this and rarely ever get a warning. Two hands on the wheel counteract each other and gets very frequent warnings. 12 or 6(or close to it) with 1 hand is also useless to prevent warnings. Is it possible that other trucks are more or less sensitive than mine? Yes, but this method works flawlessly for me.
Took a small trip on Saturday an I was constantly getting the messages. I was holding it too loose even though I felt like I had "control" if it didn't do what I wanted. Once I did what you said, the alerts stopped, but it's an uncomfortable way to hold the steering wheel for me. It's something I'll have to get used to.

Now the one thing I really have a hard time trusting is the adaptive cruise control when it comes to stopping the truck. It always feels like it waits till the last minute...LOL

Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Took a small trip on Saturday an I was constantly getting the messages. I was holding it too loose even though I felt like I had "control" if it didn't do what I wanted. Once I did what you said, the alerts stopped, but it's an uncomfortable way to hold the steering wheel for me. It's something I'll have to get used to.

Now the one thing I really have a hard time trusting is the adaptive cruise control when it comes to stopping the truck. It always feels like it waits till the last minute...LOL
Agree on the slowing down (and to a certain extent the speeding up) of adaptive cruise control, especially all the way down to a complete stop.... scares the cr*p out of the spouse, yells at me to turn it off... :)

Wish they would give you a 3 type profile: gentle, normal, aggressive, kind of similar to the 4 step "how close do you want to follow" profiles.

In fact I would propose they actually be set together. If you set follow distance to be 4 bars, then you want gentle accel/decel. If you set 1 bar, you are comforable with agressive accel/decel. For example.

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired

Experiment but stay close to that area, 3 or 9. I can even rest my elbow on my arm rest and it is enough resistance to keep the warnings away.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Agree on the slowing down (and to a certain extent the speeding up) of adaptive cruise control, especially all the way down to a complete stop.... scares the cr*p out of the spouse, yells at me to turn it off... :)

Wish they would give you a 3 type profile: gentle, normal, aggressive, kind of similar to the 4 step "how close do you want to follow" profiles.

In fact I would propose they actually be set together. If you set follow distance to be 4 bars, then you want gentle accel/decel. If you set 1 bar, you are comforable with agressive accel/decel. For example.
One thing I miss about my Genesis - it had that setting for adaptive cruise. But with that said I still think this system handles stop and go better than the Genesis did. That car would start to annoy me. The truck I’ll let drive itself on adaptive cruise for hours in traffic

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I rarely use the feature unless I'm trying to eat on a road trip, there is light traffic, and don't want to use my legs to hold the wheel. Otherwise it bitches like JAWS (du-du, du-du, du-du) every 15 sec or so. I have also found that in heavy highway traffic, like I-95 between FL and VA, it wants to pull me to the right side of the lane too close to other vehicles more so than true center. Haven't tried the 1-2lb ankle weight yet, but have been tempted. Also, I never use it when towing our 6500lb TT as it feels like trying to reel in a marlin.

Ford F-150 Lane Centering Hands on the Wheel marlin
Sponsored