Sponsored

Lane Centering/adaptive cruise & HANDS ON THE WHEEL!

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
Anyone else get the Hands on the Wheel alert a lot When using adaptive cruise and lane centering? My hands are on the wheel the whole time. Honestly, I’m not a fan of lane centering. Feels like I’m fighting the wheel a lot and if I let it take over (with hands on the wheel) it seems to bounce around a lot. reminds Me of when I was teaching my daughter to drive and she wasn’t looking far enough down the road to hold a decent line.

what I’d really like, give me adaptive cruise, no lane centering but just alert if I drift to the lane line with the steering wheel rumble. Anyone found that option or does it even exist?
Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I don't get any bouncing around when it is on Intelligent Cruise with CoPIlot Assist 360 on.
There are three different cruise settings on my F150 XLT 302a.

I think you need to switch it to 'Normal Cruise' with the lane control (its the button on the left side of the steering wheel) to get what you are looking for. I know that wheel rumbles when that is turned on and I'm just driving around.

OP
OP

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
i haven’t tried the intelligent cruise yet. One of the main reasons I bought the 21 was to get adaptive cruise In the XLT and That works fine but maybe intelligent works better. Is the only difference is that intelligent cruise just use the speed limit signs?

I like the lane centering alert option when just driving around with no cruise.

have you had a case yet with being in the right lane when a vehicle merges onto the highway? Does it pick up that car or do you break cruise? I have broken cruise as I just don’t trust it to pick up the merging vehicle.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
On my test drive yesterday, I found it worked pretty well. I could have my hands off the wheel for 10-15 seconds before it complained. One time it didn't recognize my hands were in fact on the wheel, and shut off.

There must be a way to defeat that system? Something in the software or something you can attach to the wheel to make it think it's your hand??

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
To get the adaptive cruise control, do you have to add the co-pilot assist+. Looking at ordering the xlt 302a but the dealership says I need to add another $1250 option for the adaptive cruise.

Sponsored

Jposey

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum FX4 V8 3.73
I noticed that as long as I move the wheel a little bit to the left or right when all the auto stuff is on, it nevers complains that the hands are not on the wheel.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
i haven’t tried the intelligent cruise yet. One of the main reasons I bought the 21 was to get adaptive cruise In the XLT and That works fine but maybe intelligent works better. Is the only difference is that intelligent cruise just use the speed limit signs?

I like the lane centering alert option when just driving around with no cruise.

have you had a case yet with being in the right lane when a vehicle merges onto the highway? Does it pick up that car or do you break cruise? I have broken cruise as I just don’t trust it to pick up the merging vehicle.

The Intelligent Cruise seems to use the combination of current known speed limit + programmable tolerance as well as the speed at which the car in front of you is going (with sonar distance configuration).

I haven't tested Intelligent Cruise with a merging vehicle. That's a lot of trust in a lot of decision making points.

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I've only drove mine for about 30 miles so far. I noticed that if I kept a little pressure on the right side the message wouldn't come up. It seems to favor the left hand side. It could just be me wanting to have a little more distance between me and the cars coming at me.

billybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A, 2012 Focus SEL
Occupation
EE
To get the adaptive cruise control, do you have to add the co-pilot assist+. Looking at ordering the xlt 302a but the dealership says I need to add another $1250 option for the adaptive cruise.
Yes, I had the same discussion.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
The Intelligent Cruise seems to use the combination of current known speed limit + programmable tolerance as well as the speed at which the car in front of you is going (with sonar distance configuration).

I haven't tested Intelligent Cruise with a merging vehicle. That's a lot of trust in a lot of decision making points.
I need to also add that I have the 360 Camera package as well. This might add to the 'better lane keeping/course correction' ability, but I'm just guessing.

I did however use the dealership's 2020 Ford Fusion Hybrid with Adaptive Cruise but NO 360 cameras. This was a different experience for me compared to the f150, as everything worked well, speeding to tolerance on cruise; slowing down at a comfortable distance of a slower vehicle in the same lane. WHAT WAS different was the bouncing around when the 'Lane Assist' was turned on. It seems that the control wasn't as accurate and allowed the vehicle to drift before it lane corrected.
Sponsored