KR Leather Steering Wheel Peeling

COG099

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4 Powerboost
I have a 2021 F150 King Ranch.. Last week I noted two spots on the backside of the top of the steering wheel where the leather is peeling. Each spot is about 3/4"+ wide.

It seems the leather is delaminating because it is only 1/64"-1/32" thick. I took it in to file a warranty claim under the 3/36k factory warranty and the service advisor stated they needed to send pictures and they would wait to hear if Ford covers it. He went on to say of the 5 he has seen only one was covered.
Anyone had this issue? Freaking embarrassing on a $75k truck!

Ford F-150 KR Leather Steering Wheel Peeling B363F075-B814-4140-96C5-B484C75C7E0D
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
My salesman at the dealership I have purchased trucks from since the turn of the century drives a 2021 KingRanch and his did something similar.
I realize that he might have advantages that you and I don't, but his was replaced by Ford.

I drive a 2022 KingRanch, I'd pretty much expect the same treatment. Ford must know about this, in my opinion. Inconsistent reaction from one example from another is disheartening, to say the least.

Porsche though, has a similar record on headlight surface cracking and interior door panel warping. More expensive even than our trucks. Porsche denials are stated as cosmetic only, so not a defect.

The world is upside down at times.

I hope you get treated fairly.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
you know that's a COMMON spot for your fingers to grip. i wonder if contaminates on your fingers caused a faster take down of the protective coating? but that should not matter as the people that design the vehicle interior know that HUMANS are the biggest contaminant for interior surfaces, so they SHOULD be designing areas we touch to hold up over the long haul. i use mild soap and warm water on a cloth to wipe the finger grease off the wheel when i clean the insides.

i would say to stay on top of the issue and let us know if it gets repaired or replaced. no reason to fall apart IMO . my 1992 f250 had leather wheel and it lasted over 10 years
12/12 warranty covers EVERYTHING without question. your probably out of that range

i accidentally sprayed the inside with the water hose a few weeks ago, while washing out the lower door drains. i let go of the hose. it was funny

but it cleaned up easy so somebody thought about dumb asses with water hoses.

OP
OP

COG099

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the replies and I will update when I hear back. I am hopeful they will do the right thing.

I think by definition the whole steering wheel is a high contact surface. The top rear is one of the least touched surfaces for me and probably most unless you are a 10&2 driver which almost noone is once they finish drivers Ed.

I haven't had a leather steering wheel fall apart going back to a 1991 Suburban(OK, headliner fell though). VW(01'), 2 Fords(08', 12') 5 Cadillacs(10',13', 15',15', 16'), 3 Rams(17', 19',20'), even a 2001 Mitsubishi...now I'm back to a Ford F150. I am far easier on a vehicle's interior than most. I am confident my 08 F150 KR that took constant tlc for the old saddle leather was in top 5% for its age when traded in after 11yrs.

The only leather that peeled in my possession the last 30 years was my Sharper Image foot massager but hey, it was bought in a mall and it never was cleaned. Plus it gets feet in it!

I do love my F150 but after owning many brands I am shocked by the build quality for the premium price of Ford's flagship product. Creaking, recall rodeos, non-existent parts, plastic that would embarrass a Saturn, list goes on. I am hopeful domestic auto producers will take themselves seriously someday but I feel guilty in the complicitness of not demanding better.

Sponsored

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
Well I am just past warranty....ugh
Ford F-150 KR Leather Steering Wheel Peeling 20220801_121606

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
That looks like a very thin topcoat. Poor design?

I don't know if this failing top is actual leather or a protective top coat. I'm guessing the top is not leather.

OP
OP

COG099

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It is a very thin bonded layer. Hopefully real leather but probably 1/32" thick. Like a pleather skirt for $75k

TXAGENT

First Name
Law
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 5.0 FX4 Screw
Occupation
Bullshit Detector
It is a very thin bonded layer. Hopefully real leather but probably 1/32" thick. Like a pleather skirt for $75k
Did you get any help? My KR is doing the same thing 24,000 miles. Noticed it while on vacation.
Any help getting this resolved with dealer would be appreciated.

OP
OP

COG099

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just got it back actually and yes, they did replace the steering wheel. Of course they installed the steering wheel a little off center so it needs to go back to have that fixed but that's the Service Departments fault.

They are also fixing my "Tough Bed" factory spray in liner that is peeling off the tailgate. Now, if I can just have my seats to remember my lumbar settings(MY Key doesn't recall lumbar settings) and the 8-9-10 shudder go away it would be perfect :confused:

Sponsored

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
Try getting the latest TSB for shudder installed at your dealership. I have almost 19k on my 21 PB Lariat and it cleared it up completely. In fact this thing has never run and shifted better, even when brand new.

SuperDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket cover that one could install to prevent this?

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Damn.. what are these trucks gonna look like in 5, never mind 50 years..

TXAGENT

First Name
Law
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 5.0 FX4 Screw
Occupation
Bullshit Detector
I just got it back actually and yes, they did replace the steering wheel. Of course they installed the steering wheel a little off center so it needs to go back to have that fixed but that's the Service Departments fault.

They are also fixing my "Tough Bed" factory spray in liner that is peeling off the tailgate. Now, if I can just have my seats to remember my lumbar settings(MY Key doesn't recall lumbar settings) and the 8-9-10 shudder go away it would be perfect :confused:
Thank you , The service guy made me an appointment for Oct. 21 but did not look at the steering wheel. I posted a video on youtube.

Ford F-150 KR Leather Steering Wheel Peeling IMG_1245.JPG

Ford F-150 KR Leather Steering Wheel Peeling IMG_1247.JPG

Ford F-150 KR Leather Steering Wheel Peeling IMG_1246.JPG
Sponsored