Sponsored

KO2s on Powerboost. Not super happy with the MPG hit. Is there a happy middle ground?

xaiverson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 501a Powerboost
I punctured the stock Territory ATs twice within a week. I live down a gravel road and had rocks drill into those weak tires. We also overland with this vehicle so I need something more.

I put 275/70/18 KO2s on it last week. While I love the KO2s, that added ~20lb/tire is really felt in this powerboost. Commutes where I'd easily get 24-26mpg are down to 20-23. Still good for a truck, I know, but I feel like I'm cheating on one of the reasons I bought a Powerboost.

Have any of you found a happy medium? I think I need at least a "C" rated all-terrain tire and from what I've seen those are still around ~50lbs. Is it even worth backing down to that? I think the KO2s I have are 57lb.

EDIT: I've re calibrated my speedometer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
Even going stock size will hurt mpg with any AT tire. You could maybe look into something less aggressive ?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
KO2's are an awesome tire for what you describe. But what makes them awesome is also why they would never be an oem tire on a Powerboost. The oem tires are definitely favoring the 23-24mpg EPA ratings Ford publishes.

I've seen the Michelin LTX tires take a pretty good beating. Especially considering that they are very much street biased in their tread pattern. But we used them in Load E format, so I don't know that they'd save much weight over the KO2's.

What you are desiring is going to require compromises of one kind or another. But I think you know that already.

OP
OP

xaiverson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 501a Powerboost
KO2's are an awesome tire for what you describe. But what makes them awesome is also why they would never be an oem tire on a Powerboost. The oem tires are definitely favoring the 23-24mpg EPA ratings Ford publishes.

I've seen the Michelin LTX tires take a pretty good beating. Especially considering that they are very much street biased in their tread pattern. But we used them in Load E format, so I don't know that they'd save much weight over the KO2's.

What you are desiring is going to require compromises of one kind or another. But I think you know that already.
I appreciate the response. Any thoughts/experience on if going to a 49 or 50lb will make enough of a difference from the 57lb ko2?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you know the weight of the oem tire that you took off?

I know it's isn't perfectly scientific, but I think it's fair to do the simple-math version of predicting?

In other words, all other things being equal, if an additional 20lbs cost you 2mpg, then you could round it off to 10lbs = 1mpg more or less?

Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
And what was the stock tire size? Because you've not only gone to a heavier tire, but also a taller and wider tire.

Also I'm surprised you're poking holes in the stock rubber. I drive dirt roads often enough and haven't had a problem with the stock ATs. Were you running them at 35psi?

FLPB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a
I'm wanting to upgrade to the KO2 in that same size, but am hesitant for the same reasons. The only tire I've found that's substantially lighter is the General Grabber ATX. I think it's 46lbs compared to 38lbs of the stock Territory.

OP
OP

xaiverson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 501a Powerboost
And what was the stock tire size? Because you've not only gone to a heavier tire, but also a taller and wider tire.

Also I'm surprised you're poking holes in the stock rubber. I drive dirt roads often enough and haven't had a problem with the stock ATs. Were you running them at 35psi?
Stock size is a 275/65/18, so it's not that much bigger, but in weight it is. I think the original is 37 lbs. Yes, ran them at 35psi. The guy who fixed both punctures said they're one of the worst Goodyear tires and don't hold up well to anything but highway and I sort of experienced that. Obviously it will vary for everyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP

xaiverson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 501a Powerboost
I'm wanting to upgrade to the KO2 in that same size, but am hesitant for the same reasons. The only tire I've found that's substantially lighter is the General Grabber ATX. I think it's 46lbs compared to 38lbs of the stock Territory.
You can also get Toyo Open Countries and Wrangler Duratrax in a "C" and they're around 49-50lbs I think. I saw the Gneral Grabber too, but I don't know anything about them. Not sure if they're good or not?

EDIT: I think these tires may have been back down at the stock size too.

Last edited:
OP
OP

xaiverson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 501a Powerboost
Do you know the weight of the oem tire that you took off?

I know it's isn't perfectly scientific, but I think it's fair to do the simple-math version of predicting?

In other words, all other things being equal, if an additional 20lbs cost you 2mpg, then you could round it off to 10lbs = 1mpg more or less?
I was thinking maybe getting 1mpg back. Stock weight was 37lb I think. I don't think going up that small amount in size is impacting me nearly as much as the weight.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was thinking maybe getting 1mpg back. Stock weight was 37lb I think. I don't think going up that small amount in size is impacting me nearly as much as the weight.
I agree. Taller doesn't always take the hit that is often attributed to it. It does give a taller final gear ratio, so to speak, but if you can get the truck/odometer to account for the change in revolutions per mile, I think you will find the increase in diameter isn't the hit, but rather its the additional weight of a taller tire. (more so)

OP
OP

xaiverson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 501a Powerboost
I agree. Taller doesn't always take the hit that is often attributed to it. It does give a taller final gear ratio, so to speak, but if you can get the truck/odometer to account for the change in revolutions per mile, I think you will find the increase in diameter isn't the hit, but rather its the additional weight of a taller tire. (more so)
I used GPS and forscan to calibrate the speedometer and got it to where the car is just 1 MPH over what GPS is saying. Should I technically be able to get it exact?

Ryan74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Carbonized Gray 4x4
20-23 is what people get with the 2.7L ecoboost. Definitely missing out on the purpose of the powerboost there

OP
OP

xaiverson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 501a Powerboost
20-23 is what people get with the 2.7L ecoboost. Definitely missing out on the purpose of the powerboost there
Not entirely. If they put the same tire on they would still lose the MPG too. Plus I still get 7.2kw of power for outages and camping.