King Ranch vs Platinum

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
Biggest issue with massage seats is getting out of the truck after you’ve reached your destination. I had to buy a Panasonic massage chair for the home, just so I didn’t spend an extra hour sitting in my driveway. Also, KR interior for the win!
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
The King Ranch is almost 2 levels of trim, since it can start lower price than Plat but end higher. The real trims (not counting Tremor) are like this:
XL
STX
XLT
Lariat
KR (non chrome)
Platinum
KR chrome (forced 601A)
Limited

KR-chrome and Platinum are 100% equal in available specs (except you can't get 2tone Plat) but KR-chrome is more expensive. Presumably it is due to the higher grade of leather versus the Limited/Plat/Lariat, but could also be for royalties to the real King Ranch for their logo/brand.

dclem

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Sales
Obviously this is going to be a personal choice. I have the ‘21 KR with Powerboost. Lots of power and great mileage. However, you mention you may be towing more. I pulled a trailer, about 4000 lbs from Texas to CO and back. Never got over 9 MPG. Still had plenty of power but the mileage was lower than I expected. Just my opinion and good luck!

texag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Silverado
I love the styling of the KR and pulled the trigger on one and am a week out from picking it up. I'm sure being a Texan has a lot to do with my fondness of the brand. I was originally debating between a lariat & KR and once I added all the additional features on to the Lariat it wound up being only ~1k lower than the KR if I recall correctly. I got the base KR without the chrome, messaging seats, or sun roof. Wound up being cheaper than the platinum but would still have gone KR over platinum, again cause I love the branding.

Mike50

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR PB, 2018 Expedition Max Limited
Occupation
Retired
For some reason, Ford has seemed to want to hide the fact that you get massaging seats with the KR if properly equipped. I've read reviews that claim you can't get the massaging seats on a KR. Well, if you dig deep enough in the 2021 F150 brochure, you will find it. As others have stated, my 2021 KR most definitely has massaging seats. The best I can tell, the biggest differences between the KR and the Platinum is that you must get chrome bumpers on the KR whereas you get painted bumpers on the Platinums. I loved the painted bumpers on my 2019 Platinum. I had to go with the KR because of the interior color. Really don't like the seat colors on the Platinum - even though the seat is a little fancier with a separate padded upper back "pillow" look. I've considered having my chrome bumpers painted - or replaced. A KR in monochrome with painted bumpers would be the ultimate 2021 F150. (The Limited's interior color disqualifies it from consideration)

Sponsored

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
Save yourself some money in monthly payments and taking a hit on trading it in down the road and just go with the XLT. Your commute will have you well over 100K miles in 4 years. I'm usually around 120k miles every 4 years.

thevofl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Antimatter Blue F150 Diet Platinum (Eventually)
Occupation
Math
For some reason, Ford has seemed to want to hide the fact that you get massaging seats with the KR if properly equipped. I've read reviews that claim you can't get the massaging seats on a KR. Well, if you dig deep enough in the 2021 F150 brochure, you will find it. As others have stated, my 2021 KR most definitely has massaging seats. The best I can tell, the biggest differences between the KR and the Platinum is that you must get chrome bumpers on the KR whereas you get painted bumpers on the Platinums. I loved the painted bumpers on my 2019 Platinum. I had to go with the KR because of the interior color. Really don't like the seat colors on the Platinum - even though the seat is a little fancier with a separate padded upper back "pillow" look. I've considered having my chrome bumpers painted - or replaced. A KR in monochrome with painted bumpers would be the ultimate 2021 F150. (The Limited's interior color disqualifies it from consideration)
I knew I wasn't hallucinating when I switched from the KR to the Pt due to cost less and no massaging seats. Even my dealer thought that was weird. But then upon further review, when others said they had it, I see that it is available. I probably won't switch back. I do like the Carmelo seats as I did the Java. I don't mind the chrome, in fact I kinda like a modest amount. Other than the tailgate's massive brushed metal panel, I'm fine with what comes with the high end trims.

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
I chose the KR Powerboost without two-tone and sunroof. Like the chrome with the Stone Gray color. Coming from a 2010 Platty that I loved. Have always liked the KR, but the interiors were a little orangey for me ... until now. Love the brown interior!

twelpo19

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Rach, 2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Consultant
I chose the KR due to brown interior, wheels and two tone. Good friend has a Platinum, both loaded. Really do not think you can go wrong either way as both beautiful trucks. Ask your wife/partner which one and go with it. (LOL).

Ford F-150 King Ranch vs Platinum IMG_3243.JPG

texag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Silverado
My KR has painted bumpers and no chrome

Sponsored

Sadram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, BMW 135 I cab, Ford fiesta
Hi all-

New to the forum, have been lurking for a few weeks and have learned a lot. I am currently in the market for a new 150, as I got a new job with a 90mile total commute (compared to the 10 mile commute at my old job). My current 2015 2.7 XLT Sport is at 155,xxx miles and so I'm looking to upgrade for reliability and of course the new job pays a lot more so this is kind of my treat to myself.

I placed a reservation for the lightening the first night I was able to because damn it is an awesome looking truck. But after the excitement of the unveiling and more importantly a long discussion with the wife, I don't think that will work for a lot of our road trips of 500+ miles to see family. So I am thinking of canceling that and ordering either a 2022 KR or Platinum (again the new job pays very well, and life is short) and I figured I can wait the few weeks for the order banks to open in September. I have crossed the limited off because I just can't get to like the interior colors. I love the look of my sport without all that Chrome, so if it was a KR it would be without the chrome package and if I went with platinum would likely do a chrome delete. Either truck would be AB or SQ (have only been able to see the AB so far at dealer's, hopefully can see the SQ before ordering). I also settled on the powerboost after driving that and the 5.0. Like I said it will be a daily commuter, towing a 4,500 boat on occasion and maybe in the near future a smaller travel trailer.

I'd like to know if anyone else struggled between the two models and what they decided and are they happy with the decision? Any regrets? I have seen plenty of awesome plats after chrome deletes (especially the guy in Georgia) but man to spend money on top of a 75k truck kinda sucks, was it worth it? Anything they'd do different?

Thanks y'all, love this forum and all the great info, has been a big help!
Yes, I went through the same dilemm. Couldn’t buy a limited as I couldn’t get trailer mirrors of all things. Like both th KR and Platinum but went for the platinum as I liked the seats better. Simple as that…..very happy, love it, but the power boost is the worst sounding engine in the world. That said, no problems winning races wit this engine as your opponent is too busy laughing to catch a good light. Lol

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Yes, I went through the same dilemm. Couldn’t buy a limited as I couldn’t get trailer mirrors of all things. Like both th KR and Platinum but went for the platinum as I liked the seats better. Simple as that…..very happy, love it, but the power boost is the worst sounding engine in the world. That said, no problems winning races wit this engine as your opponent is too busy laughing to catch a good light. Lol
Interesting but a little off topic here, I agree with the engine sound. Also I do have a KR and it did cost more than the Plat here in Canada, depends on how you spec it though.

OP
OP

t-bone82

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 2.7EB XLT Sport
I chose the KR due to brown interior, wheels and two tone. Good friend has a Platinum, both loaded. Really do not think you can go wrong either way as both beautiful trucks. Ask your wife/partner which one and go with it. (LOL).

IMG_3243.JPG
Ha, excellent point on the wife...she is leaning hard towards platinum, but really doesn't care as long as it haves massaging seats!

That's an awesome pair of trucks! Is that platinum SQ? and the KR AB? Still have yet to see a SQ in real life!

NEguy

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Jeep Renegade, VW Bug, BMW GTL
Have a (first truck) loaded KR Powerboost with > 1,100 miles and love it so far. Massaging seats (for the wife). Interior is all about preference, KR more country / ranch vs Platinum more “refined”. I live in CT but am a country / farm boy at heart (grew up in IA).

Happy with my choice.

Aim64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Limited Ordered 2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Scrap Metal Industry
Hi all-

New to the forum, have been lurking for a few weeks and have learned a lot. I am currently in the market for a new 150, as I got a new job with a 90mile total commute (compared to the 10 mile commute at my old job). My current 2015 2.7 XLT Sport is at 155,xxx miles and so I'm looking to upgrade for reliability and of course the new job pays a lot more so this is kind of my treat to myself.

I placed a reservation for the lightening the first night I was able to because damn it is an awesome looking truck. But after the excitement of the unveiling and more importantly a long discussion with the wife, I don't think that will work for a lot of our road trips of 500+ miles to see family. So I am thinking of canceling that and ordering either a 2022 KR or Platinum (again the new job pays very well, and life is short) and I figured I can wait the few weeks for the order banks to open in September. I have crossed the limited off because I just can't get to like the interior colors. I love the look of my sport without all that Chrome, so if it was a KR it would be without the chrome package and if I went with platinum would likely do a chrome delete. Either truck would be AB or SQ (have only been able to see the AB so far at dealer's, hopefully can see the SQ before ordering). I also settled on the powerboost after driving that and the 5.0. Like I said it will be a daily commuter, towing a 4,500 boat on occasion and maybe in the near future a smaller travel trailer.

I'd like to know if anyone else struggled between the two models and what they decided and are they happy with the decision? Any regrets? I have seen plenty of awesome plats after chrome deletes (especially the guy in Georgia) but man to spend money on top of a 75k truck kinda sucks, was it worth it? Anything they'd do different?

Thanks y'all, love this forum and all the great info, has been a big help!
I had a 18 F150 limited and I now have a 2021 loaded Platinum. You can price out a King Ranch at or higher priced than a Platinum. I like both trucks . The Plat come with the v8 I have the 3.5 EB and it’s great. I think both trucks are awesome. I wish I could be more help
Sponsored