Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GLE 450, 2016 BMW M3, 2021 F150 Limited
Occupation
Emergency Physician
Hey guys,
new to the forums and interested in the new F150 to replace my 10yr old Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Quick question for you guys though.
Aside for the minor aesthetic and interior color options, what are the key differences between comparably equipped King Ranch, Platinum and Limited models?
Especially since the HO EB was canned for the Limited?
Priced as evenly as possible with the regular EB, the 4WD Limited comes out about $4K dearer than the Platinum and $3K more than the King Ranch but I cannot see what the Limited offers over the other two other than exclusivity.

Thanks
Sponsored

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Hey guys,
new to the forums and interested in the new F150 to replace my 10yr old Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Aside for the minor aesthetic and interior color options, what are the key differences between comparably equipped King Ranch, Platinum and Limited models?
Priced as evenly as possible with the regular EB, the 4WD Limited comes out about $4K dearer than the Platinum and $3K more than the King Ranch but I cannot see what the Limited offers over the other two other than exclusivity.

Thanks
Great question. I initially thought the Limited had a unique AWD drivetrain, but from the info I've been reading, it may not be the case (the same AWD option is available for trim levels Lariat and above).

Still researching, and watching this thread.

igor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost
Exclusivity - you hit the nail on the head. You can always say the blue interior color, or the LED floor scuff plates are the upgrades - but in reality, it's just marketing & badging.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
If you are new and are considering the F-150, it might be worth your time to scan through the Source Book. There is a lot of great information about the truck, the packages, and the options.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/attachments/2021-f-150-source-book-pdf.831/

From what I recall, certainly may not be an extensive list:

- The Limited come with almost everything standard (including the 7.2kW inverter, B&O Unleashed, Co-Pilot 360, Trailer TowPkg, Wheel well liners, twin panel roof...and so on)
- Built in a 'limited' supply (a plaque with the vin is on the armrest)
- Exclusive interior with Limited only Admiral Blue scheme and softer materials (?)
- Unique 22" wheels
- Unique Grill

Once Ford gets the new B&P tool up, should be easy to make the comparison.

Last edited:

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
I want a PB king Ranch because I want the Stone Grey color and KR interior. When I price out the exact same build on the Platinum, The KR is 2K more. Waiting for the final build and price to be released.

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I want a PB king Ranch because I want the Stone Grey color and KR interior. When I price out the exact same build on the Platinum, The KR is 2K more. Waiting for the final build and price to be released.
Unfortunately, Stone Grey is a monochromatic color, so you automatically get the Monochromatic Package and the Chrome Appearance Package. There are also a few things that are included on a Platinum, but are options on a King Ranch. Between having to add Chrome and pay for items that are standard on Platinum, it is a more expensive truck, for sure.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Hey guys,

Thanks
First of all welcome the best F150 forum there is!! Glad to have you join us!

I'm a KR lover, so I guess that is my style and have owned 5 of them over the years.

These top models all have their own style and like already mentioned each is a type of exclusivity that many folks are willing to pay extra for.

Beernut0875

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F250 Platinum
If you are new and are considering the F-150, it might be worth your time to scan through the Source Book. There is a lot of great information about the truck, the packages, and the options.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/attachments/2021-f-150-source-book-pdf.831/

From what I recall, certainly may not be an extensive list:

- The Limited come with almost everything standard (including the 7.2kW inverter, B&O Unleashed, Co-Pilot 360, Trailer TowPkg, Wheel well liners, twin panel roof...and so on)
- Built in a 'limited' supply (a plaque with the vin is on the armrest)
- Exclusive interior with Limited only Admiral Blue scheme and softer materials (?)
- Unique 22" wheels
- Unique Grill

Once Ford gets the new B&P tool up, should be easy to make the comparison.
Thanks for the source book. Never knew something existed... I'm either old or they don't push this out to consumers like they should.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Toyota 4Runner
The Limited has unique (for F-150) all-wheel drive train borrowed from the Raptor.
That is a very tangible distinction for sure.

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
The Limited has unique (for F-150) all-wheel drive train borrowed from the Raptor.
That is a very tangible distinction for sure.
That was true for 2020. 2021 Limited has the same drive train options as the KR and Platium.

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Toyota 4Runner
then why does the 2021 Order Guide have different descriptions for 4x4 setups?

XL & XLT trims described as:
  • 4x4 Electronic-Shift-On-the-Fly (ESOF) with Neutral Towing

Lariat, K.R. and Platinum has:
  • Two-Speed Automatic 4WD (4x4 only)

Limited standard features says:
  • Two-Speed Automatic AWD with Mechanical Locking 4WD

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
then why does the 2021 Order Guide have different descriptions for 4x4 setups?

XL & XLT trims described as:
  • 4x4 Electronic-Shift-On-the-Fly (ESOF) with Neutral Towing

Lariat, K.R. and Platinum has:
  • Two-Speed Automatic 4WD (4x4 only)

Limited standard features says:
  • Two-Speed Automatic AWD with Mechanical Locking 4WD
Below is a screenshot from ford website, the left is Limited vs KR on the right. Both have electronic rear diff lock as optional. Not sure what's the "Mechanical locking 4wd" is. I can lock my rear diff by a press of a button in my Platinum.
Ford F-150 King Ranch vs Platinum vs Limited SmartSelect_20210308-214734_Chrome

Last edited:

Sgtslaughter

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 King Ranch
20” chrome King Ranch wheels are the same PVD wheels you can get on the XLT (these PVD wheels did not hold up in my 2018 KR). Platinum and Limited are polished aluminum, and specific to those models.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I was set on a Platinum or a Limited but ended up with a Powerboost Lariat 502a with almost every option. Versus the Platinum of Limited, it doesn’t have leather on the doors or dash, full recline seats, or real wood. But it has everything else and I think the interior is more attractive. When I saw the Platinum and Limited in person, I personally thought they were too much. Btw, a comparably equipped Lariat is $2k cheaper than the Platinum and $4-5k less than a Limited. So far I’m happy with the choice.

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I was set on a Platinum or a Limited but ended up with a Powerboost Lariat 502a with almost every option. Versus the Platinum of Limited, it doesn’t have leather on the doors or dash, full recline seats, or real wood. But it has everything else and I think the interior is more attractive. When I saw the Platinum and Limited in person, I personally thought they were too much. Btw, a comparably equipped Lariat is $2k cheaper than the Platinum and $4-5k less than a Limited. So far I’m happy with the choice.
You are right. The $2k differences btw a Platinum are mostly on the exterior trims, different leather seats and door trims. I don't think Lariat has massage functions and built-in wireless charger. To some people, it may not worth $2k for these additional features.
Sponsored