King Ranch Color-Keyed Fender Trim

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I am sure this was immediately obvious to some of you, but it wasn't until I saw a current generation KR on the road yesterday that it struck me that the color-keyed fender trim is gone on the two-tone KR. It gives it very clean lines, but I don't know...do I like them with or without?

Ford F-150 King Ranch Color-Keyed Fender Trim 1603207429814

Ford F-150 King Ranch Color-Keyed Fender Trim 3e23d4b2020bc0b33f4dc7c35fd254fc
Sponsored

Nomadic_One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost FX4
Occupation
Retired
The bottom pic looks just like my 2016 KR except the wheels. I noticed the new KR didn't have the color matched fender trims and decided to go with the monochrome Platinum instead. It's a small detail, but it significantly changed the look to me.

OP
OP
05RubiconLJ

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The bottom truck was for sale in Oklahoma last spring. I spoke with the dealer rep twice and was on my way out the door to drive (2 hours) over to purchase it when the dealer rep called and told me another rep sold it the night before. I love this color combo!

mcmayes

First Name
MItchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Military
I am sure this was immediately obvious to some of you, but it wasn't until I saw a current generation KR on the road yesterday that it struck me that the color-keyed fender trim is gone on the two-tone KR. It gives it very clean lines, but I don't know...do I like them with or without?

1603207429814.png

3e23d4b2020bc0b33f4dc7c35fd254fc.jpg
I built out a King Ranch today at the dealership. The chrome bumpers come with the chrome package. Without the chrome package, the bumpers are color matched. The dealership also has the option to add chrome package and keep the color matched bumpers.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Man, that’s a though one. I really like the two-tone look, but it wasn’t offered on my build out.

If you’re making me pick, I gotta say with the trim pieces. But if I try to imagine it, I can see it not looking right on the Gen.14 F-150s.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I built out a King Ranch today at the dealership. The chrome bumpers come with the chrome package. Without the chrome package, the bumpers are color matched. The dealership also has the option to add chrome package and keep the color matched bumpers.
That’s definitely a handy piece of info to have!

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I originally wanted 2-tone on my XLT, but when I was told the bumpers would be painted unless I wanted to spend another 1600$, I passed on that idea.
Order 301a to get two tone, and they charge extra for you to keep the chrome bumpers that are standard on XLT——nope.
After seeing the two tone on this truck, I’m glad I passed.
I do not like the angle up and then down on the lower color.
I am considering a wrap but keeping it to the minor straight line just below the major.
It appears that minor line is in line with the bottom of the plastic rear bumper cap, si I think that it might look okay.

OP
OP
05RubiconLJ

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I originally wanted 2-tone on my XLT, but when I was told the bumpers would be painted unless I wanted to spend another 1600$, I passed on that idea.
Order 301a to get two tone, and they charge extra for you to keep the chrome bumpers that are standard on XLT——nope.
I am considering a wrap but keeping it to the minor straight line just below the major.
It appears that minor line is in line with the bottom of the plastic rear bumper cap, si I think that it might look okay.
I think they could have very easily carried the line strait across and not put those dips in it. It really is unfortunate. The more I look at that 2018 I missed out on, the more I want to own it. Damn that was a sharp truck!

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I originally didn't like that angle up/down for the two-tone, but it has grown on me. It highlights that body crease. I'm not sure it will look right to carry it straight across and deviate from the body lines in those two areas. I've made peace with it, but the 2020 where the two-tone is straight across and includes the wheel arches looks really good.

OP
OP
05RubiconLJ

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don't judge my editing work...not my strong suit.

Straightened out the kinks (with and without colored flares, thin and thick)

Ford F-150 King Ranch Color-Keyed Fender Trim KRCorrect1

Ford F-150 King Ranch Color-Keyed Fender Trim KRCorrect2

Ford F-150 King Ranch Color-Keyed Fender Trim KRCorrect3

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Yesssss
Without the flares.

I may be a bit biased, but my K1500 is painted like that.
Base Cheyenne two tone
Only chrome on this is the front bumper (did not have a rear from factory)
Just thinking of keeping it simple

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don't judge my editing work...not my strong suit.

Straightened out the kinks (with and without colored flares, thin and thick)

KRCorrect1.png

KRCorrect2.png

KRCorrect3.png
Actually, that’s really good editing work! Still a tough one, but I gotta disagree. I like the thinner beige strips. (As long as they painted body pieces only, and not additional, bulging flares)

OP
OP
05RubiconLJ

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks Knickell, I don't do a lot of photo editing, but I suppose they did come out pretty good in hindsight.

Taking out the kinks makes for a nice straight uniform line from front to rear. I could do with or without the fender trim based on my examples, but would opt for the thin trim over the wide trim all day long, if I had to have one or the other.
Sponsored