Kill switch

Ferriswheel

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 tremor 2022
Does anyone know if getting a kill switch installed void ford's warranty? Anyone used Ravelco system as a kill switch? Looking for any recommendations.
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Does anyone know if getting a kill switch installed void ford's warranty?
The info on the Ravelco website about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is correct (a manufacturer cannot "void" a warranty simply based on installation of an aftermarket part).

BUT, a manufacturer can deny a warranty claim to the extent that an aftermarket part is the cause of the otherwise eligible failure.

Ravelco claims their gizmo will not cause such a failure, but for that you're at the mercy of their claim which is NOT backed by their written warranty:

Note that the Ravelco Warranty does NOT provide any protection IF the device does cause other vehicle issues, it only warrants that the device itself won't be defective and limits remedy to repair or replacement of the Ravelco product while explicitly excluding any other / consequential loss (such as loss caused by their device whether or not it is defective). IMO that's a significant 'Catch-22'.

It strikes me that if they were really confident that their device will not cause any OEM warranty jeopardy, they would provide purchaser warranty protection for that specifically, as do a few other manufacturers of aftermarket components, but Ravelco does NOT.

:unsure:

OP
OP

Ferriswheel

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 tremor 2022
I know it's a huge catch 22. But with the amount of thefts happening I am trying to come up with a kill switch solution

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Fair enuf. You mentioned the Ravelco product so that's the context of my comments.

Personally I think the likelihood of an OEM warranty claim relating to the many complex systems in these vehicles is greater than the likelihood of theft, so I'd be loathe to put the former in jeopardy to protect against the latter. And, lacking explicit explanation of what the Ravelco 'interrupts' in our very complex trucks (they say it varies depending on the application) I'm loathe to 'trust' their rather costly product (their limited warranty contributes to that lack of trust).

But everyone has their own risk judgments and tolerances to consider, No Worries, Good Luck! :)

Sponsored

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
Along this line, I had a thought a few nights ago. I was wondering about the accelerator and brake pedal controls. If the brake pedal wiring is simple and the wire that tells some chip that the brake is being pressed so that (1) you can start or (2) you can put the truck in gear, and it wouldn't throw an error, that would work! The other option is that the accelerator pedal is nothing but wiring as well. So if that wire was interrupted, then sure, you could start the truck, but how far are you going to get without being able to accelerate?

I have no idea if these are even options, just my brain thinking up crazy stuff rather than sleeping at night!

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
I have no idea if these are even options, just my brain thinking up crazy stuff rather than sleeping at night!
It's fun to think up 'crazy stuff'. (y) . :)

It can be even more fun to think about failure modes whenever considering any sort of connection to critical systems .... what are the consequences IF .....
  • the interrupt device fails either 'open' or 'closed' at an inopportune time?
  • the interrupt device or the connection itself alters the resistance or voltage of a circuit which operation depends on precise and/or calibrated variable voltage?
  • etc ....
There's so many implications when tinkering with the complex 'mission critical' systems in modern vehicles ... brakes and drive-by-wire accelerators might fall in that category ....

:unsure:

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
Personally, the Magnuson-Moss act notwithstanding, I’ve had enough issues with getting warranty claims on unmodified vehicles dealt with that with all the weird electrical stuff that can go wrong on these trucks, I am wary of anything that modifies stock wiring. If I can plug it in without changing anything is where I stop. Officially, you’re allowed to modify your equipment and still get coverage, but the risk of issues has never been worth it to me and I don’t do any electrical or software mods until my vehicles are out of warranty. Your risk tolerance may vary.

I am also not a huge fan of kill switches in general, ignoring the fact that many people don’t do them well and leave a future owner with issues, and ignoring the ultra-rare scenarios where somebody might need to drive your vehicle without time to explain the switch, there are less invasive solutions to avoid theft and/or recover stolen vehicles.

OP
OP

Ferriswheel

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 tremor 2022
A kill switch was just an idea do you have any other security suggestions to help avoid theft?

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Switch power to the fuel pump or fuel pump relay. Might start but won't get far.

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
A kill switch was just an idea do you have any other security suggestions to help avoid theft?
I guess we are no longer allowed to mount the skulls of previous thieves ...
Sponsored