KC vs Dearborn quality issues

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Is one plant proving to be more reliable than the other? What’s your experience been with your builds, esp lariat owners
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
XLT 301a, 5.0, 4x4 ext cab, 8 ft box.
Kansas City
built 1-24, took delivery on 2-13
5900mi so far.
right at 20mpg avg for lifetime.
No issues whatsoever to this point.

canes1

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
AIRCRAFT MECHANIC
KC here....no problems.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I am not saying no issues because that would kill it ?

But, loving the hell out of my Dearborn XLT!!!

Antimatter Tremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've had 5 DTP F150s 2 KCAP F150s And 1 Norfolk F150

No major issues with any of them.

Sponsored

Airspeed00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 502 SCREW
Dearborn 502 - Built 02 July, noticed couple issues

Ford Bed spray: splash on both exterior side of the bed, easy enough to shear off with a credit card, but I was a little disappointed. Additionally, a small part of the spray next to the tailgate was roughed up, as if something touched that area before it cured.

Right passenger door is slightly harder to close than the driver side. The door panels line up fine, so I'm thinking its the plastic weather-stripping/ liner that may be slightly off.

Upon delivery, dealer noticed that the entire rear bench was scratched, as if someone had something sharp on their pants while sliding in to work on something else. They are replacing the entire rear bench.

Overall great truck, no other issues.

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Dearborn built. getting a new engine, but I can’t attribute that to Dearborn. Not sure where the engine was built, but not Dearborn. Not sure that this thread will solve anything regarding quality control at KC or Dearborn.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Loaded Lariat Sport built in Claycomo in March. Holding up like a champ so far!

Mike D

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT sport 302A
Occupation
Gov
XLT 302A, 3.5, KC build, 5200K miles. No problems so far, nice ride.

Sponsored

Antimatter Tremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Ford Bed spray: splash on both exterior side of the bed, easy enough to shear off with a credit card, but I was a little disappointed. Additionally, a small part of the spray next to the tailgate was roughed up, as if something touched that area before it cured.

Right passenger door is slightly harder to close than the driver side. The door panels line up fine, so I'm thinking its the plastic weather-stripping/ liner that may be slightly off.

Upon delivery, dealer noticed that the entire rear bench was scratched, as if someone had something sharp on their pants while sliding in to work on something else. They are replacing the entire rear bench.

"Factory" Spray In Bed Liner ISN'T done by Ford. Not excusing it, just saying. Dealer should have caught that and taken care of it before you took delivery.

Green_Bean

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired musician

Could it be that the rubber seals are just really sufficient? I know my new Lariat 501A seems to be really "air tight"...so much that if another door or window is not opened a little bit I sometimes have to shut it again with a little more force to get it to fully close....which I think is a good thing.
Of course yours may be a completely different issue....just a thought.

But as far as the truck...I've had my Lariat 8 weeks this Monday Aug 9. Took delivery June 9....and have been totally happy with it. Ride, convenience, overall build quality, etc. I think the interior quality for the '21 has been stepped up a bit, as everything seems to be "more aligned"...much better than say the glove box in my '20 XLT just to name one. I opted for the 2.7 EB and have averaged around 21 mpg overall.

Edited to add.....mine is a Dearborn truck.

Last edited:

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
I'm on my 8th Dearborn truck and the 97 was a Kentucky truck, these things are mass produced and there are bound to be issues but none of the issues I've encountered are anything like insurmountable; I've had this one since mid may, gas mileage goes up with each fill, as one of the earlier posters said, the interior fit and finish is above the last truck and seems to get a little better each time, there's some computer based stuff that I don't like (why does it ask me if I want to return to eco mode sometimes and not others?, why does the radio revert to Sirius channel 2 when I get back into the truck after I've used the iPhone as a media source the last time I was in the truck ...as in why not revert to the station I was listening to before I switched media or ...I don't know, reconnect to the same f'n phone?) I'm really enjoying the truck overall.