Sponsored

Just me, or do they brakes suck?

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid 3.5L V6 twin-turbocharged Ecoboost
Feels like I'm always applying more pressure than I should be and the stop is pretty rough
Sponsored

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
How many miles?

SportySpace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 3.5
I noticed the same thing. On my test drive I almost rolled into traffic not expecting to have to push the brake pedal so hard to get any sort of stopping power. Now that I've had my new rig for a while I'm used to it, but it was definitely an eye opener.

Mylriahd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat
They definitely take some getting used to, but I've been driving mine now for a few months and 1200 miles and it feels perfectly natural. I read elsewhere that they take a little getting used to because they are electric and regenerative; my first few days definitely felt rough. I felt sorry for my passengers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shark Plissken
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They definitely take some getting used to, but I've been driving mine now for a few months and 1200 miles and it feels perfectly natural. I read elsewhere that they take a little getting used to because they are electric and regenerative; my first few days definitely felt rough. I felt sorry for my passengers.
Yea my kids looked at me like I was crazy lol. Hopefully I get used to it.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Whenever I drive a new vehicle, I try some threshold braking exercises from various speeds on an empty road with markings or at least some frame of reference. I did notice that there’s little feedback and that at least on dry pavement, the ABS feels like it intervenes too soon. As far as braking pressure, I like a firm pedal without a lot of travel.

I actually like the pedal feel on my truck but I am likely in the minority since most of my cars didn’t have power steering or brake boosters and the two cars that I had with power steering, I took the belt off. I actually wish there was a way to dial down the power steering assist on my truck because I am a little uncomfortable with the lack of feedback. Same thing with the traction control, I wouldn’t mind if it just let the rear tire chirp from a stop in Sport Mode.

JCU Delt Ox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Raptor
The hybrid braking system is a different animal. I'd be interested to try it back to back with 3.5L or 5.0 and see if it feels different. With the hybrid, there's definitely a need to apply more pressure, especially at low speeds.

Sponsored

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
The hybrid braking system is a different animal. I'd be interested to try it back to back with 3.5L or 5.0 and see if it feels different. With the hybrid, there's definitely a need to apply more pressure, especially at low speeds.
Feels like I'm always applying more pressure than I should be and the stop is pretty rough

OP
OP
Shark Plissken
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EXACTLY. Definitely a different feel compared to other cars.. and for it being brand new, it honestly feels like it's used and in need of a brake job. When I took it for a test drive, I felt it then.. I attributed it to me though, needing to get a feel for it since it's new. Which is true, but not what I would like to to be

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
It's fine for a truck. But when I get into my C7 Grand Sport and stop, I almost put myself through the windshield.

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Coyote, threshold braking, prob as good as it gets, stock. ;)

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I noticed that when brand new, it took a lot more effort. Now that the brakes are bedded in (4500 miles), it stops much better. It is still a little heavy, bit I also recognize that the truck itself is considerably heavier than my previous vehicle so it makes sense. I am satisfied with it (non powerboost).
Sponsored