First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
IT
A few things I observed on a door to door 240 mile trip mostly highway. 21.9 mpg. Thats with cruise set at 78 with that stupid adaptive setting turned off and in normal setting not Eco. The 106 mph governor is ridiculous why is that on there? Lastly Android Auto is sooooo CLUNKY! They need to do better maybe some updates would help. Also, got a spray in bedliner put in and now im getting "Pro Power Onboard service needed" after having the dealer spray in a bed liner. Apparantly nobody knows how to disconnect and reconnect the outlet because this is becoming a popular item. All in all awesome truck no regrets yet.
Sponsored

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
What don’t you like about the adaptive cruise? I love having it maintain distance to the people in front of me so if they slow down I don’t need to cancel/reset the cruise speed.
I think he means lane centering. I turn that on & off periodically based on what is going on.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I think he means lane centering. I turn that on & off periodically based on what is going on.
I was wondering that. That's my favorite feature of the trunk ironically. I made myself a little weight I can attach to the steering wheel so it doesn't keep bothering me to touch the wheel again. On roads with well marked lines I can easily go 10 miles or more without needing to touch the gas, brakes, or steering wheel. It's no true autonomous driving by any means, but it's very good at "keeping it between the lines" on most highways and just requires you to keep an eye on the road to supervise it.

Bearii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
I was wondering if he means the option to turn Adaptive Cruise into Intelligent Adaptive Cruise. The Intelligent Adaptive Crusie is the one that reads the speed limits signs and adjust your speed to the speed limit +/- whatever limits you set or to the speed of the car in front of you if it is lower than the speed limit sign. I LOVE Adaptive Cruise, but am finding the Intelligent Adaptive Cruise to be annoying. I don't like how when you're cruising down the highway at say 75 in a 70 zone then suddenly the speed limit might drop to 60 and the truck adjust accordingly but everyone around you is still going 75 because, hey, who really pays attention to those short drops in speed around certain exits, etc. I'm finding using the Intelligent component almost life threatening in those scenarios! I've turned of the Intelligent option and just use the Adaptive Cruise, I've had this on my last three vehicles and wouldn't be without it. Love being able to automatically adjust speed to match traffic without having to cancel cruise. Kinda handy too when you get stuck behind the moron that continually speeds and slows down!

Sponsored

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
... I LOVE Adaptive Cruise, but am finding the Intelligent Adaptive Cruise to be annoying.
I was surprised how aggressive (obnoxious; annoying) the speed changes are. Approaching a city, where the speed limit signs gradually decrease from 70 to 55 to 45 to 35, for example, it feels like the truck is stomping on the brakes as it passes each sign. Conversely, after going through the town, where the speed limit signs increase from 35 to 55 to 70, it feels like the truck floors the gas to leap up to the next speed. Real drivers know they are approaching a town, and smoothly ramp down the speed as the signs pass. The truck seems to only know the next sign has passed, and aggressively jumps to comply.

Last edited:

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I’m finishing my 1850 mile trip tomorrow. Gonna post stats and video too but mpg was really good.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I was surprised how aggressive (obnoxious; annoying) the speed changes are. Approaching a city, where the speed limit signs gradually decrease from 70 to 55 to 45 to 35, for example, it feels like the truck is stomping on the breaks as it passes each sign. Conversely, after going through the town, where the speed limit signs increase from 35 to 55 to 70, it feels like the truck floors the gas to leap up to the next speed. Real drivers know they are approaching a town, and smoothly ramp down the speed as the signs pass. The truck seems to only know the next sign has passed, and aggressively jumps to comply.
Did you experiment with putting into Eco (instead of Normal) mode, to see if it changes the accel/decel profile?

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
Did you experiment with putting into Eco (instead of Normal) mode, to see if it changes the accel/decel profile?
Nope - good idea - I'll play with that on my next long trip. Frankly, I pretty much forgot about Eco mode, since the truck automatically switches back to Normal every time you restart it.

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
Intelligent adaptive cruise control will also sometimes grab the speed limit sign from the frontage road when you’re actually on the highway. NOT GOOD!

They definitely need an update to make it coast a bit rather than jamming the brakes. Makes you wonder if they actually tested the product after development.

Sponsored

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
Intelligent adaptive cruise control will also sometimes grab the speed limit sign from the frontage road when you’re actually on the highway. NOT GOOD!

They definitely need an update to make it coast a bit rather than jamming the brakes. Makes you wonder if they actually tested the product after development.
I'm actually wondering how much of the BlueCruise software is actually already released and installed now, versus what we are supposed to get later this fall. Hopefully the fall release will be significantly more "intelligent." One capability that does not seem to be implemented yet is monitoring the driver's eyes. Currently, it just beeps at you every 15 seconds to keep your hands on the wheel, which actually means you have to wiggle the wheel every once in awhile to prove you are still there, or you get zapped with the warning.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Nope - good idea - I'll play with that on my next long trip. Frankly, I pretty much forgot about Eco mode, since the truck automatically switches back to Normal every time you restart it.
Yes, let us know (those of us still waiting for our trucks....!).

Eco mode typically makes your "foot lighter" (slower accel profile, not sure if it would have any affect on braking though). But might not floor it when trying to get back up to higher speed limit.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
What don’t you like about the adaptive cruise? I love having it maintain distance to the people in front of me so if they slow down I don’t need to cancel/reset the cruise speed.
That feature is nice, but very annoyed when a car decides to pullout in front (or cross in front) and the truck hits brakes hard even after the car has cleared. Also similar issue when a car is truning front of me and I can tell the car will clear but truck decides to hit brakes, then continues for a second or more after the car has cleared the lane - have had some very pissed off folks behind me after my truck braked hard for no apparent reason.

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
As I'm approaching a car in my lane that's turning in from of me, I just tap the brake so I don't get the hard braking from the adaptive cruise.....then hit resume. Really not an issue for me.
I absolutely love the adaptive cruise!

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
That feature is nice, but very annoyed when a car decides to pullout in front (or cross in front) and the truck hits brakes hard even after the car has cleared. Also similar issue when a car is truning front of me and I can tell the car will clear but truck decides to hit brakes, then continues for a second or more after the car has cleared the lane - have had some very pissed off folks behind me after my truck braked hard for no apparent reason.
The fact that there are so many "surprises" for the driver is a good indication that they have a ways to go before hands off driving is ready for prime time. It appears that the truck is only responding to the next single detectable event (with limited sensors), while human drivers typically see a longer range view (approaching a city), and broader context (that crossing truck is no threat), to smooth out the interventions. I have learned to always be ready to intervene at a moments notice. Still, it has been helpful to use on long road trips.
Sponsored