Sponsored

Just changed Oil at 5K miles. Engine running so much quieter WOW !

nrmedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost 302A; 2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
540Ratblog?

I've been running QSFS too, and those that know me are a little shocked. I was pretty loyal to another oil for a few years.

I'm happy enough with it, but my Blackstone reports have shown a little lower viscosity after 3000 miles (my typical oil change interval) than I would have expected. But everything else looks great.

Supposedly a fantastic oil for antiwar characteristics. Fundamentally what matters most? :)
I’m a habitual changer too, 3-5k tops. Debating the QSFS Euro 5w40?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I’m a habitual changer too, 3-5k tops. Debating the QSFS Euro 5w40?
No sir. If I were to switch, I'd return to Amsoil 0-40. Keep in mind I'm talking specifically about the 3.5 Ecoboost though. (I currently have a Powerboost)

I'm not the stereotype Amsoil guy, but I have a very respected high power (very) Ecoboost engine builder friend that recommended it when I put him on the spot. :)

He basically said if you have thick enough skin to take the flack, it's a good oil for that motor if you are going to work it.

nrmedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost 302A; 2023 Tacoma TRD Pro
No sir. If I were to switch, I'd return to Amsoil 0-40. Keep in mind I'm talking specifically about the 3.5 Ecoboost though. (I currently have a Powerboost)

I'm not the stereotype Amsoil guy, but I have a very respected high power (very) Ecoboost engine builder friend that recommended it when I put him on the spot. :)

He basically said if you have thick enough skin to take the flack, it's a good oil for that motor if you are going to work it.
I’m running the 5.0 and it rarely sees above 4k rpm and occasional 7-8k towing. However, a lot of stop and go traffic, so was debating the 5w40 myself. I just cannot justify Amsoil, I’d still change between 3-5k, so not worth it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Completely understand!

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I have a 2018 5.0 and I was shocked how much smoother/quieter it ran with 93 octane. It’s pretty remarkable how these engines and adjust to the fuel.
Ditto.... ever since the 3200ish thread on here I switched to 93 and the rattle/resonance/noise is still there, but not nearly as obnoxious. @tony72cutlass's' and others are still wondering what the noise is.... I thought is was the cylinder deactivation "feature" but when I switch the drive mode to Tow/Haul (deactivates it) the rattle/resonance/noise is still there..... time will tell......

Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Ditto.... ever since the 3200ish thread on here I switched to 93 and the rattle/resonance/noise is still there, but not nearly as obnoxious. @tony72cutlass's' and others are still wondering what the noise is.... I thought is was the cylinder deactivation "feature" but when I switch the drive mode to Tow/Haul (deactivates it) the rattle/resonance/noise is still there..... time will tell......
I’m right there with ya i also tried everything! It seems to have worn in a bit but still bugs me even thought the dealer calls it a natural characteristic.. :rolleyes:

I watched a bunch of truck review videos and I noticed even those trucks make the same rattle at 3200 and 3700 like my does. But oddly enough none of those guys pick up on it and just say ‘AW YA WICKED V8 SOUND’ lol

Boen

First Name
andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Platinum
I have a new 22 with 2000 miles on it now,when is it recommended to do the first oil change
I see differnebt oils does that affect warranty?

Nomis

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat FX4 w/ 5.0
Im coming from a '14 GMC with a 5.3 and right from brand new that damn thing was a constant "TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK". Then the lifters and a bunch of other stuff piled up at 140,000 km. Replaced engine under warranty and..... "TICK TICK TICK TICK". This 5.0 is silent in comparison lol.

I think I'll do what some of you guys are doing though and do my first oil change early. Only at 1350km so far.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Im coming from a '14 GMC with a 5.3 and right from brand new that damn thing was a constant "TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK". Then the lifters and a bunch of other stuff piled up at 140,000 km. Replaced engine under warranty and..... "TICK TICK TICK TICK". This 5.0 is silent in comparison lol.

I think I'll do what some of you guys are doing though and do my first oil change early. Only at 1350km so far.
That dang tick/tick/tick/tick still exists! That's been around at least since my new 2001 Z71! Even to this day, the newer models, I walk past a just started or idling Chevy v8, tick/tick/tick/tick.... back in the day when I fought with Chevy on this, I was told it's a "normal characteristic of the different metals in the engine." That same day I went to the Ford dealer right next door and traded it (1235 miles/lost big $) for my first ever Ford.

Last edited:

Nomis

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat FX4 w/ 5.0
That dang tick/tick/tick/tick still exists! That's been around at least since my new 2001 Z71! Even to this day, the newer models, I walk past a just started or idling Chevy v8, tick/tick/tick/tick.... back in the day when I fought with Chevy on this, I was told it's a "normal characteristic of the different metals in the engine." That same day I went to the Ford dealer right next door and traded it (1235 miles/lost big $) for my first ever Ford.
This is the reason I have a Ford now. My first brand new truck was a 2013 Sierra with a 6.2. By 40,000 km a cold start sounded like a 12 valve cummins. knock knock tick tick. Dealership said it was normal. Couldn't believe it. The lifters were toast it was obvious. Then they came out with the restyled GM so I traded it off a year and a half later and lost big time on it.

Then the 14 had the problems I mentioned above. I did drive that truck to 362,000 km(220,000 on new engine) But that was two torque converters and a transmission later.

Was going to get another GM. Started reading about the lifters on the new ones failing at 5000 miles. Still has the bad torque converter problem too. Almost bought a Ram, but wasn't totally sold on them. Researched and testdrove a couple f-150s and was sold.

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I have a new 22 with 2000 miles on it now,when is it recommended to do the first oil change
I see differnebt oils does that affect warranty?
Congrats on the new 2022! Gosh, you will get a lot of differing experiences and opinions on this. I am by no means an oil scientist. Simply my opinion and overly logical person gathering opinions of others over my years.

A common opinion is stick with what the factory says to use and do. Some follow the oil life clock, some follow the 1K/5K thereafter rule, others once a year whether it needs it or not. Personally, I think the extended oil changes and oil life clock are asking for trouble. Oil changes aren't cheap any more, but neither is a short block or a rebuild.

As far as different oils affecting warranty, I've read tails of dealerships giving owners grief for not using factory oil, but I think that's when you take the vehicle in for engine issues and service trying to void your warrantee. Most wills say Mobil 1 or some quality brand of synthetic. Since I don't take advantage of the extended oil change "feature" of synthetic, I stick with the factory Motorcraft syn/blend 5w-30 and keep all the receipts. I also follow the 1K/5K thereafter rule of thumb.

Oil filters are another flinger on these sites ;-) Fram is the devil from all the truck forum sites I've visited in my time. I stick with either Mobil, WIX, or Motorcraft oil filters, but that's just me. I do two Blackstone oil tests, one at 2K and another at 10k. I figure by then, the engine is going to do what ever it's going to do by then.

Good luck with your 2022 Plat!

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Congrats on the new 2022! Gosh, you will get a lot of differing experiences and opinions on this. I am by no means an oil scientist. Simply my opinion and overly logical person gathering opinions of others over my years.

A common opinion is stick with what the factory says to use and do. Some follow the oil life clock, some follow the 1K/5K thereafter rule, others once a year whether it needs it or not. Personally, I think the extended oil changes and oil life clock are asking for trouble. Oil changes aren't cheap any more, but neither is a short block or a rebuild.

As far as different oils affecting warranty, I've read tails of dealerships giving owners grief for not using factory oil, but I think that's when you take the vehicle in for engine issues and service trying to void your warrantee. Most wills say Mobil 1 or some quality brand of synthetic. Since I don't take advantage of the extended oil change "feature" of synthetic, I stick with the factory Motorcraft syn/blend 5w-30 and keep all the receipts. I also follow the 1K/5K thereafter rule of thumb.

Oil filters are another flinger on these sites ;-) Fram is the devil from all the truck forum sites I've visited in my time. I stick with either Mobil, WIX, or Motorcraft oil filters, but that's just me. I do two Blackstone oil tests, one at 2K and another at 10k. I figure by then, the engine is going to do what ever it's going to do by then.

Good luck with your 2022 Plat!
+1

I also change my oil way more often, besides gets me out of the house and into my man cave. It's really a win-win!!

crazywayne311

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SCrew 157" Agate Black Lariat 502A
Occupation
CTMO
I thought I was crazy, glad to know I'm not alone. Didnt do the 1k change, but did first change on Monday at 5200. Used Motorcraft semi 5w30 and an FL500S. Noticeably quieter.
whats crazy is i got my oil changed at ford at 5300 miles on tuesday last week. so the 5w30 ford blend. i noticed the truck was WAYYY quieter than before. 3.5EB btw. i didnt do the 1k change but wanted to get the 5k one.

i'll probably switch to full syn eventually. funny seeing all the suggestions as far as that goes. i figure M1 would be the go to. I like Castrol but i see votes for QS and Amsoil.

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
I had the “troubled” 5.4L motor in my 09 Lariat. I did the first oil change at 600 miles at Jiffy lube. After that when the oil life message came on I had my local shop change the oil. They use a synthetic blend. No idea what brand or the brand of the filter. When I traded it in it had 245k on it. Still ran strong and didn’t used any oil between changes. The only engine repair was replacing a bad thermostat at 210k. I think some people are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I think some people are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.
Definitely! Who remembers when "Slick 50" came out (1978) ;)
Sponsored