Jumpstart curiosity

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
We recently bought a Toyota Sienna hybrid. I discovered Toyota explicitly warns against using a hybrid car to jumpstart an ICE vehicle. You can jump another hybrid or jumpstart the Sienna with an ICE.

I don’t see any warnings like this in the F150 manual. Everything about jumpstarting sounds just like any other ICE car. Has anyone seen anything specific about using a Powerboost to jump another car?

The Sienna has a tiny 12v battery (in the trunk) but the Powerboost looks to have a big normal size 12v battery.
Sponsored

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
I do not see any warning either in the F-150 manual.

I'm not going to worry about it though because I keep a portable power pack jump starter in the truck and charge it up a couple times a year. Much easier to use and do not have to depend on anyone else. It's not fun when your dead vehicle is parked in a spot that doesn't allow another car easy access to jump start old school style.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I carry a jump pack for this reason. Used to not, and found out people who have no idea what they’re doing just want to jump in and start connecting cables…I’m sure it’s good intentions but it can create a very bad day for both of us if done wrong, so I stopped messing with it. Jump box it is.

With that said, I don’t see any reason not to jump a car with our 12v battery, but I don’t have any kind of degree that would make me understand a hybrid system like this fully. I mean, worst case you can just take the battery out and jump the vehicle that way, then it is independent of the hybrid system. We still have a second battery, so wouldn’t affect our keep alive memory as far as I know

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
I've jumped others with my PB without issue, worked like any other car would've. I also carry a 2,000 amp jump pack, but I found out it doesn't work when you don't charge it. Lol

OP
OP
Heavishot

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
I've jumped others with my PB without issue, worked like any other car would've. I also carry a 2,000 amp jump pack, but I found out it doesn't work when you don't charge it. Lol
OK, That's what I thought. My Sienna has basically a lawnmower battery in addition to the hybrid battery.

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
OK, That's what I thought. My Sienna has basically a lawnmower battery in addition to the hybrid battery.
That's the thing – the battery and the wiring on some vehicles is not capable of handling the current draw of a larger vehicle (even a V6.)
Far better to buy one of the new(er) jump packs … very small, starts V8 diesels, takes up less space than jumper cables, no risks associated with using jumper cables.

I have an older "Type S" jumper which is fantastic … keeps a charge forever … starts everything from V8s to boats, wood chipper, snowblower, snowmobile, generator … no need for lugging a battery or moving a vehicle and stretching out jumper cables and futzing around, also has USB output.

WDWFordGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
The manual actually gives instructions, exactly the same as any ICE vehicle, so I'd say it's normal procedure.
Sponsored