• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GreasyLightning47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota, Lexus
Picked up a few minor things in the comment section.

-star white will only be available on Lariat and Platinum trims

- reconfirmed that the work surface will not be available at all on the Pro

- the 2.4kw onboard power (vs. 9.6) has 4 outlets in the frunk, 2 in the cab, and 2 on the bed. (That may be old news)
Interior work surface or tailgate work surface ?
Sponsored

Snappy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Honda CRV
I wonder if this is right. I asked if all the ICE F-150 colors would be available on the Lightning. Here's the answer I got:

Thanks for your question, there is a slight difference in color offerings, but to make it easy, here are the colors that are available on Lightning.

• Agate Black Metallic
  • Antimatter Blue Metallic
  • Albas (Atlas) Blue Metallic
  • Carbonized Gray Metallic
  • Iced Blue Silver
  • Iconic Blue Silver
  • Oxford White
  • Rapid Red Metallic
  • Smoke Quartz Metallic
  • Star White Metallic
  • Stone Gray Metallic

Smoke Quartz Metallic??? That's the first I've heard of that. I would be so happy if that was true.
Do you have an example pic? Another great?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Order the interior work surface now and swap it into the Pro.

JTmass

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Ranger
Do you have an example pic? Another great?
No pics provided. I hope this wasn't a typo. Smoked Quartz is my preferred color. Maybe we'll see more info come out soon?

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
No pics provided. I hope this wasn't a typo. Smoked Quartz is my preferred color. Maybe we'll see more info come out soon?
Is it really that different from stone grey? They are both just grey.

Edit: if they are going to add colors, why not actual colors! They already have nothing but shades of grey except Atlas blue and Rapid red.

JTmass

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Ranger
Is it really that different from stone grey? They are both just grey.

Edit: if they are going to add colors, why not actual colors! They already have nothing but shades of grey except Atlas blue and Rapid red.
Stone Grey is brown. Smoked Quartz is blue. Looks better than Antimatter IMO because it doesn't look black.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Stone Grey is brown. Smoked Quartz is blue. Looks better than Antimatter IMO because it doesn't look black.
Eh. If you can't tell the color from very or black from 100 feet away in any lightning condition (except pitch black), it isn't really a color. At least on my opinion.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Oh one thing I just remembered as I've seen it mentioned around here quite a few times. The F150 should not have any thermal problems as they mentioned there are 2 separate cooling systems. One for the 2 motors, and a separate system for just the battery.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Oh one thing I just remembered as I've seen it mentioned around here quite a few times. The F150 should not have any thermal problems as they mentioned there are 2 separate cooling systems. One for the 2 motors, and a separate system for just the battery.
It's not their first time designing multiple cooling loops in a single vehicle either. The Powerboost has 3 different cooling loops. ICE, battery, and AC<>DC converter. One of the loops even has refrigerant integrated for extreme heat exchange potential.

When you look closely at the Powerboost you find lots of engineering that seems kindred to the development of the Lightning. It's both impressive and daunting though. A service manual more than 15,000 pages. An owners manual of 750 pages. And a wealth of modules (computers) that requires a scroll bar on a Forscan screen.

Ford is on a roll with electric and electronic technology right now.

Sponsored

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2022 F150 Lightning Preorder
Wow...didn't know the towing difference for the platinum...only tows 8400lbs but they are targeting 1800lbs payload for it.

Onboard scales is optional on everything but the platinum.

EDIT: oh, and the 2.4kW pro power is standard on the Pro and XLT (9.6 optional). 9.6kw is standard on lariat and platinum.
That'd be nice if the Platinum really had 1800 lbs payload. I looked at an optioned up '21 ICE Platinum Powerboost that had <1300 lbs payload. 8400 lb towing is enough to pull my boat.

All that being said, I'll probably still look hard at a Lariat Plus, think I prefer the 20" wheels over the Platinum's 22" wheels and I'm not sure yet the other Platinum stuff is worth the coin.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a pretty dolled up Platinum Powerboost and it's at 1400lbs Payload. About 150 less than my previous dolled up KingRanch.
(it would have been a bigger drop on the Powerboost but somehow Ford increased the GVW of the Powerboost by 300lbs)

Anyways, yea.... I would LOVE it to be true that a Platinum Lightning would have 1800. But I can't figure out how a Platinum would only weigh 200lbs more than a Pro ER? Seems a little optimistic

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
It's not their first time designing multiple cooling loops in a single vehicle either. The Powerboost has 3 different cooling loops. ICE, battery, and AC<>DC converter. One of the loops even has refrigerant integrated for extreme heat exchange potential.

When you look closely at the Powerboost you find lots of engineering that seems kindred to the development of the Lightning. It's both impressive and daunting though. A service manual more than 15,000 pages. An owners manual of 750 pages. And a wealth of modules (computers) that requires a scroll bar on a Forscan screen.

Ford is on a roll with electric and electronic technology right now.
Yea, I was referring to the issues with the mach-e hitting the thermal limit after 5s of full acceleration. Heck, the lightning would probably beat the GT version in the 1/4 mile
I have a pretty dolled up Platinum Powerboost and it's at 1400lbs Payload. About 150 less than my previous dolled up KingRanch.
(it would have been a bigger drop on the Powerboost but somehow Ford increased the GVW of the Powerboost by 300lbs)

Anyways, yea.... I would LOVE it to be true that a Platinum Lightning would have 1800. But I can't figure out how a Platinum would only weigh 200lbs more than a Pro ER? Seems a little optimistic
I was pretty surprised when he said it too as usually platinum takes a pretty big hit on payload capacities and I was expecting somewhere in the 1500lb range for it. If it really is 1800lbs that would be great as it is the model I am really thinking about getting.
The 8400lbs towing isn't a concern for me as I likely won't ever tow that high, I was just surprised it takes a 16% hit on capacity.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was pretty surprised when he said it too as usually platinum takes a pretty big hit on payload capacities and I was expecting somewhere in the 1500lb range for it. If it really is 1800lbs that would be great as it is the model I am really thinking about getting.
The 8400lbs towing isn't a concern for me as I likely won't ever tow that high, I was just surprised it takes a 16% hit on capacity.
IF what he says is true, and a Platinum really does only take a couple of hundred pounds hit over a Pro ER, then the only explanation would be the 2 things (my way of thinking)

1. An all EV vehicle is very much a different base truck underneath and inside, in respect to the Pro ER and the Platinum are MOSTLY the same truck. Especially with only one "configuration" available and both being identical in that respect.

2. Ford is equipping the "stripped" version with so much of the "loaded" version that the real difference between them are the kind of options that aren't exactly "weighty" options.

Technology weighs almost nothing. So you could have a pretty big spread between the two "trims" in regards to technology features. (screen size. Stereo speakers, levels of cruise control tech... Etc). Just not a lot of weight penalty there.

Then the textiles... Seat covering and door panels and various other touchpoints.... Again, not a lot of weight penalty.

The only ones that carry undeniable weight?
Panoramic roof. ~60lbs (by memory)
Tailgate step ~40lbs
Footrails can be 40-60 depending on which ones.
Fully adjustable 10-way seat hardware is I think 40-60

I have the list of exact weights for options for ICE 2021 in a Ford document.

Anyways, it could be true that there's only a few weighty options between them.

I'm surely fascinated, I admit. I can't believe someone as un-green (not anti-green) as myself is so enamored with EV now. Ford tagged this Pick-up dinosaur, that's for sure.