Sponsored

IWE Grinding

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
My truck is currently in for an IWE replacement on the front left. 3rd time is the charm apparently as I had it in twice before and they couldn’t recreate the grinding noise. I spoke to the tech about the new IWE system and he said they have electric solenoid on them but it is still vacuum that engages them, at least on my 3.5 EB. I believe the old system had the vacuum keeping the IWE’s disengaged. I did see the post about that line being just a breather but I have not personally verified that on my own truck. Just an fyi my front pinion seal is being replaced also as I noticed oil on the crossmember under the front diff, may be worth a check on your own trucks.
Quite surprised they just didn't install the locked hubs they started putting on 22+ AWD trucks. They failed too often so ford just made everything forward of the TC fully connected.
Sponsored

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
I mean this makes it sound like an it's either on or off sort of thing. Makes me wonder why it would have been grinding a little this morning.
it’s basically the same as before. It’s just electric vs vacuum actuated. So it still pushes the diaphragm to engage the teeth. Just eliminates all of the vacuum issues.

OP
OP

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
it’s basically the same as before. It’s just electric vs vacuum actuated. So it still pushes the diaphragm to engage the teeth. Just eliminates all of the vacuum issues.
Yeaaaaah but that doesn't make me feel better or validate what I thought was happening yesterday morning. Now I'm wondering how or why I experienced any grinding at all. Build date was 6/22. If its indeed electronically engaged beit through magnets or motors, I would assume the chances of having it slip into partial engagement should be about 0 in contrast with a silly vacuum system.

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
If it only does it when letting off the throttle it may not be the IWE. My 2019 raptor would rattle on deceleration. It was the turbo wastegate flapper rattling.

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lead Engineer
If it only does it when letting off the throttle it may not be the IWE. My 2019 raptor would rattle on deceleration. It was the turbo wastegate flapper rattling.
Maybe? Super weird but it happened again this morning. It was 23 degrees out and I was coasting down the exact same spot and it did it again. This time, I actually left the parking lot to go through the same spot to see if I can make it happen again. It did, so I went a third time and by now the truck was starting to warm up. Less noticable the third time. Man I feel like a crazy person.

Sponsored

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
Maybe? Super weird but it happened again this morning. It was 23 degrees out and I was coasting down the exact same spot and it did it again. This time, I actually left the parking lot to go through the same spot to see if I can make it happen again. It did, so I went a third time and by now the truck was starting to warm up. Less noticable the third time. Man I feel like a crazy person.
If you have 4A i would engage it and see if it still does it. If it goes away it could be IWE but if its still there its probably something else. Could probably get away with 4H if you dont have 4A as long as you keep the wheels straight.

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lead Engineer
If you have 4A i would engage it and see if it still does it. If it goes away it could be IWE but if its still there its probably something else. Could probably get away with 4H if you dont have 4A as long as you keep the wheels straight.
Yeah it's ESOF on an XLT without that 4A, which I'm cool with as I'm a little skeptical of another auto engaging clutch system sapping power and adding complication. I'll try 4H tomorrow as it's a straight road

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
No vacuum line to the Gen14 IWE

That hose vents to atmosphere.
(routed above the fender to keep water out of the hub. Similar to venting differentials)

It's sad when a automotive journalist doesn't make an effort to verify what they are reviewing.

Here we are 3 years later and their erroneous reporting is still being quoted and considered a legitimate source.

Why don't they correct it?

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
There are several older posts about this noise and it’s cause.
oil on ur cross member could be a cracked front diff. Several posts about that too. Extensive info if u do a search.

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Lead Engineer
oil on ur cross member could be a cracked front diff. Several posts about that too. Extensive info if u do a search.
Yeah I kinda shot myself in the foot by fluid filming the undercarriage. I'll never see a leak. I haven't had the truck in 4wd yet either though.

Sponsored

Chease44

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat - Star White 3.5 Eco 157” WB
Yes I have read all those threads and verified myself that the diff housing is not cracked. You could see the line of oil from the pinion seal. The dealer changed the IWE and front pinion seal this morning and I’ll get my truck back Monday morning. Hopefully that’s the last of the IWE issues for me.

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
Yes I have read all those threads and verified myself that the diff housing is not cracked. You could see the line of oil from the pinion seal. The dealer changed the IWE and front pinion seal this morning and I’ll get my truck back Monday morning. Hopefully that’s the last of the IWE issues for me.
I’m happy to hear you had a good outcome and a dealer willing to listen. My 2022 XLT is making the LF noise on occasion. I shift into 4 hi and back to 2 hi, it goes away. It hasn’t gotten any worse since it started around 8000 miles. I’m hoping it doesn’t get worse, but it sounds like it will.

Chease44

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m happy to hear you had a good outcome and a dealer willing to listen. My 2022 XLT is making the LF noise on occasion. I shift into 4 hi and back to 2 hi, it goes away. It hasn’t gotten any worse since it started around 8000 miles. I’m hoping it doesn’t get worse, but it sounds like it will.
Well the last 2 oil changes I had brought it up and they couldn’t recreate the sound. After the last one I picked up the truck and made two corners and the sound was there, called the dealership right away and said I was on my way back. I had to argue with them a bit as they just wanted to make another appointment, I said send the mechanic out so he can hear it while it’s happening right now. I don’t like being pushy like that but I was pretty frustrated, also I am an owner in the business where I work and we have bought a lot of vehicles from them so I was getting annoyed at being brushed off.

Chease44

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update on my situation. I just called the dealer because my truck was supposed to be ready to go for 9am this morning and I hadn’t heard anything. Turns out they replaced the left front IWE and when they did they test drive the low speed grinding is till there. So they are still working on diagnosing the true cause, does the IWE include the engagement device? I am thinking it is only partially engaging, maybe a low voltage issue….

Rineland

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 XLT 302A 4x4 CCSB 3.5L EB
Occupation
Engineer
This sounds all pretty similar to the intermittent hum thread below. In Post #57 in that thread I explain the logic behind why you hear it in 2H. If you're trying to recreate the sound for your service writer, try shifting from 4H to 2H if you have an ESOF transfer case. I find it does it most consistently between 35-45mph and when off the throttle. Since my last post in that thread, my IWE noise has become significantly shorter in duration and volume. I don't notice it unless I'm shifting from 4H to 2H and listening closely for it.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/intermittent-hum-or-howl-from-front-end.13723/post-326313
Sponsored