First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport 5.0 SCREW FX4
Occupation
High Voltage Technician
Well I'm planning on doing my first oil change on Monday so while I'm down there I'll make sure I can get that panel off without damaging anything. If you're up for trading at that point let me know.

That opening was one of the first things I noticed when they backed it off the truck. Without the license plate bracket on there it really looks unfinished. Especially with the gleaming white of the oil filter shining through at you. Took a while for someone to get back to mas as to why it had the EB panel on it and not the standard 5.0 panel.
absolutely, LMK.
Sponsored

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
absolutely, LMK.
OK, so after a little bit of finagling, and a lot more removal than should have been necessary, I managed to get the center piece off in one piece.

PXL_20210426_180608256.jpg

PXL_20210426_181026510.jpg

PXL_20210426_181040266.jpg

PXL_20210426_181049016.jpg

I would double check the PN to make sure that it will fit with your installation, but honestly I don't see why it wouldn't.

If it looks good, let me know.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
absolutely, LMK.
Also, the front license plate brackets may also have to be traded. I'm not sure how the one for the solid front piece is supposed to attach, but this one looks like it was designed to work with the open center piece only.

PXL_20210426_183746437.jpg

PXL_20210426_183803103.jpg

OP
OP
Pinero

Pinero

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport 5.0 SCREW FX4
Occupation
High Voltage Technician
Also, the front license plate brackets may also have to be traded. I'm not sure how the one for the solid front piece is supposed to attach, but this one looks like it was designed to work with the open center piece only.

PXL_20210426_183746437.jpg

PXL_20210426_183803103.jpg
I’ll have to order one, I don’t live in a front plate state. I’ll touch base with my dealer to see if they have any.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’ll have to order one, I don’t live in a front plate state. I’ll touch base with my dealer to see if they have any.
Sounds good. I put most of the front end back together but I left the center piece and license plate bracket off. I suppose just shoot me a direct message with your shipping info whenever you are ready. I'll box then up tomorrow and get them ready to go. ?

Sponsored

Gblenks

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
IT Manager
The V8s with factory block heaters installed also have the insert you are looking for.

I know because my V8 has a block heater and has that opening. It kind of makes the front end look too open and unfinished IMO. I'm not sure why they didn't just reroute the plug through the upper grille.

PXL_20210325_210110668.jpg
PXL_20210331_150402944.jpg
I have a V8 XLT and live in an area where we have block heaters. So the block heater is why it's open on the V8 like your picture shows? Mine looks the same, and I have to agree, that without the consdenser that the 3.5 has behind there it looks horrible open like that. Is this Panel an OEM part we can purchase? I'm sure routing the block heater through the grill or something wouldn't be a huge thing.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have a V8 XLT and live in an area where we have block heaters. So the block heater is why it's open on the V8 like your picture shows? Mine looks the same, and I have to agree, that without the consdenser that the 3.5 has behind there it looks horrible open like that. Is this Panel an OEM part we can purchase? I'm sure routing the block heater through the grill or something wouldn't be a huge thing.
Yup. Because we opted for the block heater we end up with a giant hole in the front of our trucks. Makes perfect sense when you're trying to retain heat, right?

After I get the solid piece I'm planning on installing one of these next to the license plate bracket:

1619558607495.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ANV81S/

Then I don't have to worry about re-routing anything, and possibly messing with the auto dampers in front of the radiator.

The center piece can be purchased, but with all the shortages I was told it's on back order indefinitely.

Gblenks

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
IT Manager
Let me know that that goes. I see from your profile that you are a brethren straight south of me. Block heaters aren't just and "option" for either of us.
Are you thinking of attaching that amazon product in the panel that goes there? I wonder if it would be solid enough or if you would be better going through a solid metal part of the bumper.
I eventually want to get one of these. All the best in keeping the population of the "common winter snake" down this next winter.
https://voltsafe.com/

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Let me know that that goes. I see from your profile that you are a brethren straight south of me. Block heaters aren't just and "option" for either of us.
Are you thinking of attaching that amazon product in the panel that goes there? I wonder if it would be solid enough or if you would be better going through a solid metal part of the bumper.
I eventually want to get one of these. All the best in keeping the population of the "common winter snake" down this next winter.
https://voltsafe.com/
That is a VERY cool idea! Pun completely intended.

I wish they had more full product pictures though. For example I'd be interested in how it is supposed to attach to the vehicle. Does the vehicle side just have a standard female receptacle on the other end so it can just be plugged in or does it need to be hard-wired? Also I noticed that the reviews of the app (at least on the google play store) seemed quite low, many citing issues with lost settings, etc. However I assume that if this is a relatively new product that there will be initial bugs that will need to be worked out, no big deal.

Over all that looks like a really good idea.

As for my plan, yeah I was planning on cutting a 2" hole through the panel to the driver's side of the license plate bracket and installing the plug receptacle there. Based on the sturdiness of the panel I removed I would think that the solid panel should be able to hold up to the force of pugging and unplugging a cord from it. If it doesn't look like it will, I plan on fabricating a backing plate behind it to spread out the force load.

It all depends on how "solid" the panel is I suppose.

Gblenks

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
IT Manager
That is a VERY cool idea! Pun completely intended.

I wish they had more full product pictures though. For example I'd be interested in how it is supposed to attach to the vehicle. Does the vehicle side just have a standard female receptacle on the other end so it can just be plugged in or does it need to be hard-wired? Also I noticed that the reviews of the app (at least on the google play store) seemed quite low, many citing issues with lost settings, etc. However I assume that if this is a relatively new product that there will be initial bugs that will need to be worked out, no big deal.

Over all that looks like a really good idea.

As for my plan, yeah I was planning on cutting a 2" hole through the panel to the driver's side of the license plate bracket and installing the plug receptacle there. Based on the sturdiness of the panel I removed I would think that the solid panel should be able to hold up to the force of pugging and unplugging a cord from it. If it doesn't look like it will, I plan on fabricating a backing plate behind it to spread out the force load.

It all depends on how "solid" the panel is I suppose.
I think it's exactly that. It's has a female receptacle and the a male side. I'm not completely sure if it's even meant to be mounted or just a cable that breaks away easily if you forget it. It was developed by some 4th year engineering students just a year or two ago so there was likely initial bugs for sure. I don't actually have one myself.

Sponsored

MTS49

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 STX 5.0 4x4 FX4
I just ordered part number ML3Z-17B968-BB to install the Ecoboost lower bumper center cover for my STX with a 5.0L so that I can install some pod lights in those gaps. The solid cover which comes standard on the 5.0L (without a block heater) is ML3Z-17B968-AB.

This place had the best price + shipping
Genuine OEM Ford Part - Center Cover ML3Z-17B968-BB | Genuine OEM Ford Parts & Accessories

Got it for $76 shipped. Expedited shipped was the cheapest option, which was nice. My local dealer wanted $120 for the part, even though the MSRP is only $65.

MTS49

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 STX 5.0 4x4 FX4
Got the EcoBoost lower center cover installed, along with some old BD Squadron lights and a custom bracket that I made from angle iron. Everything fits nicely. Power to the lights is with an Auxbeam 6-gang switch, wanted to future-proof for more lights at some point.

The hardest part was getting the lower plastic trim off, but once I figured out where the bolts and clips were, it wasn’t too bad.

IMG_3256.jpeg

IMG_3252.jpeg

IMG_3247.jpeg
Sponsored