First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport 5.0 SCREW FX4
Occupation
High Voltage Technician
I’m looking for the middle bumper insert from ecoboost trucks. My 5.0 came with the fully blocked off one, and I’d like to mount some auxiliary lights in that opening.

if anyone has one left over from a bumper upgrade, I’d be willing to buy it off of you.
Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Pictures of what you are taking about? Are the EcoBoost bumpers somehow different from the trucks with the 5.0 V8 engine?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is this area here what you’re referring to?

1542A3DB-6631-4978-9D1D-C7E91EF5B05A.jpeg

OP
OP
Pinero

Pinero

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High Voltage Technician
Is this area here what you’re referring to?

1542A3DB-6631-4978-9D1D-C7E91EF5B05A.jpeg
That’s the part I’m referring to.

5.0L trucks are closed off in the that area, as there’s no charge air cooler that requires airflow behind the bumper. With the ecoboost trim, I should be able to fit four DXL rigids in that opening.

I’ve been trying to order it through Ford, but they don’t seem to be available.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s the part I’m referring to.

5.0L trucks are closed off in the that area, as there’s no charge air cooler that requires airflow behind the bumper. With the ecoboost trim, I should be able to fit four DXL rigids in that opening.

I’ve been trying to order it through Ford, but they don’t seem to be available.
Ahh, I see.

For those interested, here are some trucks that are equipped with V8 engines and their front bumpers.

An STX:
5BB5AD1B-C7AA-480D-BE18-2E3CD0A8BE4C.jpeg

An XLT Chrome package:
7DE3B8F8-6BF4-48FB-B926-6472A5520AD3.jpeg

A Platinum:
23D04204-C1EA-4875-B244-8C6E819F79F5.jpeg

Sponsored

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
The V8s with factory block heaters installed also have the insert you are looking for.

I know because my V8 has a block heater and has that opening. It kind of makes the front end look too open and unfinished IMO. I'm not sure why they didn't just reroute the plug through the upper grille.

PXL_20210325_210110668.jpg
PXL_20210331_150402944.jpg

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m looking for the middle bumper insert from ecoboost trucks. My 5.0 came with the fully blocked off one, and I’d like to mount some auxiliary lights in that opening.

if anyone has one left over from a bumper upgrade, I’d be willing to buy it off of you.
I haven't really looked into what is involved with removing and replacing this panel, however I was a little disappointed that I did not get the solid one that was depicted everywhere when my truck was delivered.

What is involved with removing them? If it's not that big of a hassle I'd be interested in the possibility of an exchange.

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
Now if the no Ecoboost one is truly a solid panel, they use of it on a ecoboost motor would effect operation and possible engine life concerns. If it is mostly open a few minor ribs it might or might not effect operation... I suspect that the ford engineers would not have made it different for a various engines unless it was needed.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Now if the no Ecoboost one is truly a solid panel, they use of it on a ecoboost motor would effect operation and possible engine life concerns. If it is mostly open a few minor ribs it might or might not effect operation... I suspect that the ford engineers would not have made it different for a various engines unless it was needed.
The EB engines have a cooler located behind that panel, hence the open design of those. OP has the 5.0 which is the same one I have as well, which normally comes with the solid plate standard. Mine however came with the open plate since that is where Ford mounted the block heater plug. So in this case from one 5.0 to another it shouldn't make any difference. OP can mount his lights, and mine will look the way it should have looked from the beginning. I'll just have to reroute my plug. No biggie. (y)

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
wasn't concerned about using the open panel from Ecoboost on a 5.0 but using the closed panel on a Ecoboost as was mentioned by apMechorse as a possible exchange.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pinero

Pinero

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High Voltage Technician
I haven't really looked into what is involved with removing and replacing this panel, however I was a little disappointed that I did not get the solid one that was depicted everywhere when my truck was delivered.

What is involved with removing them? If it's not that big of a hassle I'd be interested in the possibility of an exchange.
It’s all clips. Remove the side trim pieces that overlap, then the center can be removed.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
wasn't concerned about using the open panel from Ecoboost on a 5.0 but using the closed panel on a Ecoboost as was mentioned by apMechorse as a possible exchange.
Since the original post was also from the owner of a 5.0/V8 I think in this case it'll be OK. I believe that OP only mentioned the EB in the title because those come with the open design standard because of the cooler. But yes, one should obviously not block the ram air cooling duct on the EB.

OP
OP
Pinero

Pinero

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High Voltage Technician
It wouldn’t necessarily hurt anything besides causing the truck to heat soak even quicker under load. Higher charge temps result in the PCM limiting timing, and subsequently killing power.

I had an EB for the last seven years before getting this truck. There was a company called boost bars that made decorative inserts for the opening. These gave it a more complete look without completely killing airflow. I’m not sure if they’re still around.

OP
OP
Pinero

Pinero

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High Voltage Technician
Since the original post was also from the owner of a 5.0/V8 I think in this case it'll be OK. I believe that OP only mentioned the EB in the title because those come with the open design standard because of the cooler. But yes, one should obviously not block the ram air cooling duct on the EB.
Yeah, I’m looking to open it up, so I can immediately block it back off with off-road lights. Lol

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yeah, I’m looking to open it up, so I can immediately block it back off with off-road lights. Lol
Well I'm planning on doing my first oil change on Monday so while I'm down there I'll make sure I can get that panel off without damaging anything. If you're up for trading at that point let me know.

That opening was one of the first things I noticed when they backed it off the truck. Without the license plate bracket on there it really looks unfinished. Especially with the gleaming white of the oil filter shining through at you. Took a while for someone to get back to mas as to why it had the EB panel on it and not the standard 5.0 panel.
Sponsored