Sponsored

Is this a good deal or too good to be true for Ceramic coating?

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I tried the Chemical Guys Hydro line. IT's ok. The Charge did better than the Slick, but I've noticed swirl marks, which I've tried my best to not introduce. I know the CG stuff would not protect from that, so I'm not faulting them, but the Hydroslick didn't last 1 month (it's rated for 12 months).

So today while in a local FB group, I saw a guy who had posted some really good work on some cars. I contacted him and he said he would do both our cars with 1 coat of Ceramic coating (CarPro C. Quartz SiC) for $1800 for both cars.

This will include paint correction, wash etc before the coating. He was honest and when I said I might want Level 3 (he has 3 levels, only 2 and 3 have ceramic), he said he wouldn't take my money due ot the cars being so new and said I should only do Level 2 (Level 3 accounts for much more paint correction).

Anywho, he said he would do both cars as "medium" if I did them both. That's $1800 out the door. I have no context for the cost of this, nor have I heard of the product, but his work seems amazing and have not been able to find anyone saying bad things about his work (still will be researching it).

Here is what his Level 2 includes (remember, he would be charging me as medium for both our cars).

Ford F-150 Is this a good deal or too good to be true for Ceramic coating? 1656361316331

*Note he does allow you to pay for more than 1 coat of ceramic. I don't have a price on additional coats yet. He says 1 layer lasts 2 years. 2 layers lasts 5 years, but the latter requires yearly maintenance which costs $250/car each year to get the 5 years.
Sponsored

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
I did mine myself using Optimum Gloss Coat after wash, clay mit, and Optimum Paint Prep. Mine didn’t need paint correction (which I did do on my 2017.) Not saying it’s as good as what pros use but my results were great and it’s not hard to use. I also like that it doesn’t matter if a little gets on your plastic trim. Waaay cheaper than what pros charge but it is an all day project.

OP
OP
FrankThompson

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I did mine myself using Optimum Gloss Coat after wash, clay mit, and Optimum Paint Prep. Mine didn’t need paint correction (which I did do on my 2017.) Not saying it’s as good as what pros use but my results were great and it’s not hard to use. I also like that it doesn’t matter if a little gets on your plastic trim. Waaay cheaper than what pros charge but it is an all day project.
One of my problems is that I don't have a garage or a place to keep it away from water for an extended period. I have a carport (one of those temp canvas ones), but the truck doesn't fit fully under it.

Also at this point there are swirl marks so it will need a bit of correction, but not much at all. Had I done it right after purchase I would have considered diy more seriously.

I do have some R1 I got for my 2017 that I never used but for the same reasons as above I never did it. I did think about doing one panel at a time over a longer period of time. At some point though I have to decide if it's worthy time.

Still thinking about it. The wife is sort of on board but wants to wait maybe until taxes next year. Not sure I want to wait that long.

Thanks for the suggestion. Last night I really was considering diy and it is still an option.

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
Yeah you would definitely want to make sure it was 0% chance of rain when you did it. From what I’ve heard that guy sounds like a decent price but I haven’t really shopped professional ceramic much.

Sponsored

WestlakeHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 (on order)
$900 sounds like a good deal. I spent $1000 two years ago on two coats and paint correction on a 911. I would expect to pay at least $1200 on a full size truck.

OP
OP
FrankThompson

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Yeah my only concern is the 1 coat. I have to see what a second coat would be.

uk_brewer

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
Lookup pan the organizer on YouTube, he’s got plenty of videos on ceramic coatings, think he’s partial to carpro cquartz.

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride, Model 3 Performance
I'm an ex professional detailer and I have a home shop that rivals mosts detail shops near me. The number of coats doesn't matter as much as the maintenance will to be honest. I've used hundreds of different products over the last decade. If you want to borrow a friends garage for a few hours you could put an Adam's Ceramic Spray Coating which will last at least a year and its a really easy to apply product.

Sponsored

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
That's a great price for two cars!

Roush Auto Detailing

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 302A XLT PowerStroke
Occupation
Manufacturing Team Lead, Professional Auto Detailer
The question to always ask is what brand of coating they are applying. Ceramics are so hyped up right now and many people are not educated on them. Some detailers use consumer coatings that are only good for a few years and say they will last 5+ years.

The number of coats does not mean much. The care the coating needs is more important. All 5+ year coatings will need annual inspection. $250 is a good deal on that. I run the same price but that also includes a 'topper'.

I charge $550 for a 2-3 year System X coating in Western NC. That includes all the services he does. I personally think $900 is high.

Hopes this helps. I think you should follow through with a ceramic coating as long as you will take care of it afterwards!

st00pid

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited
Occupation
IT
Strictly my thoughts and opinion.

I daily drive my truck, i hunt with my truck, i run down gravel roads and through fields…. Sure I could paint correct it but i only have so much clear coat…

I’ll do light swirl removal but nothing more before I ceramic coat a vehicle. If I was doing a show car that would be different.

If you don’t have the time, or location to do it, paying is part of the game. That kind of money could buy a nice orbital buffer, good products, and practice on your friends vehicles before yours! :)

I’ve Ceramic Coated a few boats and a good number of vehicles with CQuartz UK 2.0. My 2018 F-150 lasted a good 3 years with good practice car washing techniques.

My 2022 I’m going to try Adam’s Graphene Ceramic… if i don’t like it, I have another bottle of CQuartz. It’s only time.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I did mine myself. Took about 8 hours for wash, clay bar, wash buff, wash, pre ceramic spray cleaning, two coats of ceramic and one coat of hydrophobic coating. Used Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light. Worked well.
Sponsored