Sponsored

Is there a cheaper 10r80 transmission pan with drain plug yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Searching around for something like the Dorman pan that they make for the 6r80. Only finding machined aluminum ones which are nice but are a bit pricey. Not sure why Ford doesn’t supply these with a drain plug from the factory.
Sponsored

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Searching around for something like the Dorman pan that they make for the 6r80. Only finding machined aluminum ones which are nice but are a bit pricey. Not sure why Ford doesn’t supply these with a drain plug from the factory.
I don't know of one. Are you planning to DIY a drain and fill?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
PPE makes pans for the 10R80. They are about $320 though. :(

Davidwnuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order ‘22 RCSB.
maybe when you take the pan off you can add your own drain plug? i did this on an audi ZF transmission and also on a 4R100 transmission.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
maybe when you take the pan off you can add your own drain plug? i did this on an audi ZF transmission and also on a 4R100 transmission.
Ford used plastic for the OEM pan. Not sure if it's plain ABS or some type of glass or carbon infused material. Either way you would likely be hard pressed to get a solid bond with it ensure it won't leak or outright fail causing the fluid to dump out and damage the transmission.

Davidwnuc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order ‘22 RCSB.
Ford used plastic for the OEM pan. Not sure if it's plain ABS or some type of glass or carbon infused material. Either way you would likely be hard pressed to get a solid bond with it ensure it won't leak or outright fail causing the fluid to dump out and damage the transmission.
oh…that’s unfortunate. thanks for the info.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I’d definitely like the option of a regular pressed steel transmission pan.

I’ve seen far too many aluminum alloy pans cracked open from debris or road hazards that would dent a steel pan and maybe even the plastic one. That being said, a well placed 2x4 or sharp stick could probably go straight through the plastic pan too.

One good thing with the HDPP package is that I get a steel engine pan.

XLT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a XLT
Harbor Freight has a cheap fluid extractor that works well. It's honestly little to no mess to suck the fluid out through the fill hole. You can quickly refill by using a (clean) garden sprayer and cutting the tip off the wand to fit the plastic hose from the extractor.

Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
What happened to the good old days of dropping your tranny pan to put In a shift kit and having little blobs of fluid drip in your eyes

I always said I’d weld in a drain plug but a dozen times later never did!

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
I’d definitely like the option of a regular pressed steel transmission pan.

I’ve seen far too many aluminum alloy pans cracked open from debris or road hazards that would dent a steel pan and maybe even the plastic one. That being said, a well placed 2x4 or sharp stick could probably go straight through the plastic pan too.

One good thing with the HDPP package is that I get a steel engine pan.
Is there a reason why a non HDPP F150 could not use the same steel transmission pan (or engine oil pan if that's what you're referring to)?

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Is there a reason why a non HDPP F150 could not use the same steel transmission pan (or engine oil pan if that's what you're referring to)?
None that I can think of.

the only reason why the plastic pans exist is because the manufacturers are chasing every ounce of weight savings. It might be cheaper too.

I don’t think that there are any steel pans yet for the 10r80, OEM or aftermarket. Only the cast aluminum and a machined aluminum pan.

If the 10r80 shares bolt patterns and dimensions with the 10r60 that is in the Bronco, there should be an old school stamped steel pan at some point. Or at least one of those welded origami plate monstrosities.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
None that I can think of.

the only reason why the plastic pans exist is because the manufacturers are chasing every ounce of weight savings. It might be cheaper too.

I don’t think that there are any steel pans yet for the 10r80, OEM or aftermarket. Only the cast aluminum and a machined aluminum pan.

If the 10r80 shares bolt patterns and dimensions with the 10r60 that is in the Bronco, there should be an old school stamped steel pan at some point. Or at least one of those welded origami plate monstrosities.
Perhaps - this is the case with the ZF 8HP transmission but I wouldn't consider that a "cheap" transmission. It's probably the best mass produced traditional automatic transmission. It's without a doubt better than the co-developed Ford/GM 10 speed for use in light duty trucks.

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
They probably don't include a drain plug because one isn't needed...

If you are just swapping the fluid and changing the filter you have to drop the pan anyway. So no need to drain via plug. Might make it a little less messy if you are a DIY'er, but from the Ford/Mechanics perspective, that doesn't matter to them because they have the big drain trays which makes that irrelevant.

Also Ford and the other manufacurers really push the "flush" nowadays anyway, which they don't even need to drain it, they hook up a hose in-line and drain it that way...

Again, remember, they don't make these things for us to work on anymore, they do what's best for them and their practices.

How long has it been since the tranny had a dipstick? Didn't some of the trannys for a while not even have a fill plug?
Sponsored