First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mercedes GLS450, 2013 Chevy Equinox, 2021 Ford F-150 on order
Occupation
Retired
I have taken delivery on my first truck - a '21 Platinum. I noticed the other day that light just streams around the sides, which to me means water will to. So I'm asking those of you with experience if the tailgate is supposed to seal tightly?
Ford F-150 Is the tailgate SUPPOSED to seal? IMG_1151
Sponsored

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
Is this a visual thing or would the extra seal help keep water out when used with a tonneau cover?

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Is this a visual thing or would the extra seal help keep water out when used with a tonneau cover?
Not sure if it keeps 100% of the water out but will definitely make a difference. I never had one in my current 2018 model and the truck bed is always wet after the car wash(which I hate) so my 2021 will be getting the seal when it arrives.

Sponsored

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
Is there a consensus “best” tailgate seal kit? Since I’m getting Retrax cover I was planning on getting their tailgate kit. Is there something better?

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Crap. I was planning on using my bed as an above ground pool and this has foiled my plans. :(
Ahhh, you can always use the ole trusty tarp to line it. Plenty of tailgate pools in the Daytona Speedway infield during Speedweeks. ;)

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
With auto-closing tailgates make sure an add on seal won't mess that up. I've never used one and I've had some type of hard folding tonneau and Bedrug in trucks for years with minimal water leaks. Not worth worrying about. I made plenty of Florida to Michigan and back trips with luggage in the bed. No worries....

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
For those times when it rains or when using a car wash and you don't have a tonneau cover on, it does come in handy to have the excess water in the bed drain out via a non-sealed tailgate.
Sponsored