Is the FX4 Package worth it

The905Raptor

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
I am going to be purchasing a Platinum with a Hybrid powertrain here in Canada (southern Ontario region). I am debating between the FX4 and 4x4 packages. I rarely offroad and would never use the crawler gear, but I am curious about how the truck will drive day-to-day with either package. We get some bad snowstorms here in the winter but summertime there isn't a dirt road in sight.

More background: I rarely tow but like to drive a truck for the size (and like the payload in the bed).

Any insight is appreciated!
Sponsored

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, Mazda 3
Occupation
Nurse
It’s got a few extras on the base 4x4. You get a rear locker, shocks, skids, and now a drive mode that uses the ABS on the front wheels to simulate a front locker. In the past, some believed the FX4 to ride a little stiffer but I’ve never personally felt a difference. If you’re not really going off-road, the base 4x4 with winter tires should suffice for snowy conditions. And the rear locker is a stand alone option if you think you need it.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
The FX4, like the Z71, is a box that a lot of folks are looking to check when searching for a second hand truck. I plan on using my Platinum FX4, but I can see how $1,000 can be a lot for something you won't need just to make it more appealing later.

OP
OP
The905Raptor

The905Raptor

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
The FX4, like the Z71, is a box that a lot of folks are looking to check when searching for a second hand truck. I plan on using my Platinum FX4, but I can see how $1,000 can be a lot for something you won't need just to make it more appealing later.
In Canada, it's even more expensive than $1,000. If this is something that helps on resale it might be worth the time even if I don't use the feature... good call.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Unless it's twice the US price of about $1 grand, then it's well worth getting for resale value - and the likelihood that you'll utilize it occasionally. To get upgraded front shocks, 3 skid plates, a rear diff e-locker, Hill decent-assist and another drive mode for that little money is a well-spent investment.

Sponsored

4Dtruxguy

First Name
James (Jimbo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XL reg cab.
Occupation
Retired U.S. Navy, X-Ford Master Tech.
As a X-Ford Master tech I believe FX4 is worth it's price if you regularly go off roading or want to add a larger (Heavier) tire/wheel set up in the future. It adds some resale value but not what you paid for it. For the average 4x4 owner adding e-lock differential, skid plates and up grade to the "C" load AT tires will more than do you and save you a few dollars.

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
Forscan will also let you add the extra options. Get the gear ratio you want, with the e-locker and use forscan. Skid plates are nice if you WILL ABSOLUTELY go off road. Otherwise you’re paying for things that aren’t truly benefiting you.
I had the FX4 on my 2015 and took it off roading once purely because I knew I could. And I didn’t use the hill descent.
I see way too many pavement princesses out there. Pay for what you actually want to do. My new truck is missing the FX4 and twin panel roof because I would never get enough use to make a $2500 difference in price. The twin panel roof on my 2015 actually cost me MANY thousands more in 3 repairs than I ever got enjoyment from it. I only had the sun blocker open a handful of times in the years I owned it because Texas sun sucks.
But, that’s my experience :)

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2021 King Ranch
Occupation
Maintenance supervisor
I always get FX4 on my last 3 F150, as I am working on the road construction site and mining environment, I probably use the diff lock 1 or 2 time per year, but It saved me from towing call, specially when none is available wherever I am the ride is different but I always use the 6.5 box for the ride and commodity 2X4 can be put in the box diagonally ride better then my wife MKX, and in northern Canada we have the white stuff a lot of it, it is not like Colorado mountain but The F150 is a very nice truck on the road and off road. Most importantly very reliable, that’s my views

xrlizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 SC
I've got the FX4 on my 2018, and think it is worthwhile, but not something you would benefit from every day. I don't go off road too often, but it's nice to have the extra features when needed. I have used the hill decent a few times, and it is handy when you're going downhill on a rough road or path. I've also used the e-locker a couple of times, and it's definitely good to have when you need it. When I was test driving trucks, I could feel that the FX4 rode a bit stiffer than the standard 4x4, but it isn't a huge difference.

J-C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT 5.0 SCREW 157"wb FX4
As a X-Ford Master tech I believe FX4 is worth it's price if you regularly go off roading or want to add a larger (Heavier) tire/wheel set up in the future. It adds some resale value but not what you paid for it. For the average 4x4 owner adding e-lock differential, skid plates and up grade to the "C" load AT tires will more than do you and save you a few dollars.
Hey 4Dtruxguy, what do you think of the Heavy Duty Payload Package with 4x4, as opposed to the FX4 package? Or do you think it's worth getting both HDPP and FX4 (even though there's overlap on some features)?

Sponsored

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Unless it's twice the US price of about $1 grand, then it's well worth getting for resale value - and the likelihood that you'll utilize it occasionally. To get upgraded front shocks, 3 skid plates, a rear diff e-locker, Hill decent-assist and another drive mode for that little money is a well-spent investment.
Do the skid plates cover the cats? If it makes it catalytic converter theft less likely then it’s another reason to get it. :)

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
You mentioned you were getting the PowerBoost, you get the locking bigger rear end with the PowerBoost anyway, but FX4 still costs just as much, so unless you want the other things in the FX4 package, it may not be necessary/worth it.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
It’s got a few extras on the base 4x4. You get a rear locker, shocks, skids, and now a drive mode that uses the ABS on the front wheels to simulate a front locker. In the past, some believed the FX4 to ride a little stiffer but I’ve never personally felt a difference. If you’re not really going off-road, the base 4x4 with winter tires should suffice for snowy conditions. And the rear locker is a stand alone option if you think you need it.
I thought that the e-locker front end came with all models with 4x4. If you don’t get the mechanically locking rear end you get the same e-locker on the back.

I never thought I would use the off road package but appreciated it last summer when driving on the beach at OBX. My 2022 doesn’t have it because I got CCD but I’m sure I will still be fine on the beach.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Powerboost comes standard with the 3.73 rear end and e locker. The fx4 is going to be rougher on the road and will be heavier (hybrid adds a lot of weight and already reduced payload). If you don’t need skid plates then the fx4 is overkill, plus you’re already getting most of the goodies with the PB setup.
Sponsored