First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4X4 Lariat 501A Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I’m looking to buy a tonneau cover, why do I keep seeing the bed size change? I thought Ford short bed was 5’5”?
Sponsored

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
I’m looking to buy a tonneau cover, why do I keep seeing the bed size change? I thought Ford short bed was 5’5”?
The Ford Spec sheet says 5'5" but I think that is inside measurement. The tonneau covers go 5'7" because it overlaps the front of the bed and the tailgate if I remember the dimensions of my 2017 FlipBak.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
The Ford Spec sheet says 5'5" but I think that is inside measurement. The tonneau covers go 5'7" because it overlaps the front of the bed and the tailgate if I remember the dimensions of my 2017 FlipBak.

From everying I know about tonneau covers - you do measure from the inside. 100% correct the actual cover measurement spec's are a little longer to overlap.

What does get confusing is the aftermarket sites are "not" consistant. If one is unsure it never hurts aslo to give them a call before ordering. I'm now leaning toward the LEER vs BAKFLIP.

If you ask or research tonneau covers you will quickly find - many different view points of which most are from a sales point of view vs the actual months of personal usage. Myself, I been reading a lot over the past week about various tonneau covers. All the trusted sites and videos - do say; that all covers leak some are worse than others, one must follow the install instructions as they are critical & do you homework before comitting to a purchase.

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
There was a video from American Truck about crossover parts from previous year trucks to 2021. They have a BAK Flip style cover called Proven Grounds that is 599.99

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
There was a video from American Truck about crossover parts from previous year trucks to 2021. They have a BAK Flip style cover called Proven Grounds that is 599.99

First off, make sure when you buy your cover, the vendor says it fits both your model (2021) and bed length. They know/certify ahead of time.

Im buying the Undercover ArmorFlex Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover (AX22030) for my 2021 6'7" bed because :

1. The others don't have the top/cover quality and they scratch, ding and such WAY easier. Cover looks like crap early on.

2. WAY better warranty and easier to deal with (by all reports)

3. Cover works so I can lower and raise tailgate without having to lift cover first (most don't do that)

4. Price is about same as a BAK, but BAK has a million youtube vidoes showing how the siderail rubber starts to wrinkle and such where it clamps on... so it doesn't stay smooth the whole time. They also are cheap on their little underside parts and the 2 bars used to 'prop it up' which are stored alongside the underneath aren't held well compared to other covers and thus 'pop out'.

I'd suggest looking at videos to see what I mean. No, I don't have any affiliation with Undercover Armorflex at all.

SteveJ2477

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XL STX
Question about bed size. Seems like the fiberglass shell companies haven’t tooled up a 2021 option yet so what are the differences in the pre 2020 and 2021 bed size ? There is a custom steel shell that I want to order but hope I won’t run into a new 2021 bed size issue.
Sponsored