• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is Ford Underestimating the Demand for the Pro Trim?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Ford must lose money with Pro at beginning.
They have said that the lightning is profitable, only Ford knows if that is each individual trim or across all trims. Either way they have said that all trims will be available at launch.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Either way they have said that all trims will be available at launch.
Do you have a source for where they said this? They've definitely implied it, but I don't think I've ever seen it *specifically* stated for retail customers (I definitely could have missed it), and I've asked Ford communications on Twitter and not gotten a direct, specific answer.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Looking that higher trim levels and I cant figure out what the value is in paying up for XLT or really even the lariat. For those that are going up a few trim levels what is the can't miss item. Look at the list the differences that I might care about seem small but not sure if I am missing something:

*Power Seats
*Leather Seats <- can get really nice leather covers for $1500
*Heated/Cooled Seats <- Can add heating and cooling for $400 from Katzkins
*360 camera - nice to have but not a requirement
*Tow Package - can add in aftermarket
*Blue Cruise <- I have adaptive cruise now on current care and drive maybe 30 miles during week and then 100 mile one way highway to vacation house. So really could use this but not if I have to go a 80K Lariat premium

Looking at the list the main annoyance is not having powered seats but do see power seat bases for older f150s on ebay so maybe this is something I can do down road. If you are upgrading, what is one feature you ant live without

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
They have said that the lightning is profitable, only Ford knows if that is each individual trim or across all trims. Either way they have said that all trims will be available at launch.
Overall it would be profitable. But I think for the 15k Lightnings Ford make next year, they have to limit Pro to like 30%.

Tesla also lost money with standard range Model 3 at the very beginning. Given the current Model 3 price, 40k Pro is a steal.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
These can be added as options to the Pro. So no need for XLT, if you want them. I am curious about adding aftermarket tow package. How? What?

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
These can be added as options to the Pro. So no need for XLT, if you want them. I am curious about adding aftermarket tow package. How? What?
What i meant was that i could add a hitch and 4 or 7 pin wire harness if it didn't come with it. But i spent some time look at gas tow packages and realize they are more about brake controllers and tech with cameras and hill ossist. Will the pro come with a hitch and a basic light plug standard? that is all i need as i dont tow often

OP
OP
Bippers

Bippers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Thunderbird 2014 Honda Accord
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
What i meant was that i could add a hitch and 4 or 7 pin wire harness if it didn't come with it. But i spent some time look at gas tow packages and realize they are more about brake controllers and tech with cameras and hill ossist. Will the pro come with a hitch and a basic light plug standard? that is all i need as i dont tow often
I know a hitch is standard but can't comment on plug, wouldn't be hard to add if it didn't.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
If you are upgrading, what is one feature you ant live without
I'm not buying a new truck without a 360 camera which is an option on Pro so I have to add that unknown cost to Pro out the gate. Also have to add in the value of the 80A home back-up capable EVSE that only starts being included with trims above Pro because I want to be able to charge the truck with solar while isolated from grid. So those don't force up trim but work into the cost delta.

Not having Intelligent Access where the key fob can stay in pocket or purse might be fine for a work vehicle but would feel archaic for a personal vehicle. This alone keeps me from seriously considering the Pro, so might be the one item you were looking for.

However, I'd really like the phone as key and interior work surface even if I could live without. How is this not at least an option on the work oriented Pro? It would also be hard to not get the new signature hood lighting which looks much more thought out than the Pro where the light bar just seems to abruptly stop.

Extending max towing from 7,700 to 10,000 that starts with the XLT trim could make moving up trim a priority for some though I don't tow much at the moment.

Running boards with integrated lighting add into value even if not a trim driver since there are aftermarket options.

Finally, note that there is more benefit of the ER large battery than just the longer diving distance referenced in the name. I really want the 563hp of ER vs 426hp of SR, average of 7.3 miles per minute at DCFC vs 5.2, longer home backup or campsite runtime, and less battery degradation per mile driven. This might be "the one" driver up trim you are looking for, which is why everyone wants its included in the teaser-price vehicle (Pro).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Looking that higher trim levels and I cant figure out what the value is in paying up for XLT or really even the lariat. For those that are going up a few trim levels what is the can't miss item. Look at the list the differences that I might care about seem small but not sure if I am missing something:

*Power Seats
*Leather Seats <- can get really nice leather covers for $1500
*Heated/Cooled Seats <- Can add heating and cooling for $400 from Katzkins
*Blue Cruise <- I have adaptive cruise now on current care and drive maybe 30 miles during week and then 100 mile one way highway to vacation house. So really could use this but not if I have to go a 80K Lariat premium

Looking at the list the main annoyance is not having powered seats but do see power seat bases for older f150s on ebay so maybe this is something I can do down road. If you are upgrading, what is one feature you ant live without

Easy answer:
ER battery
Cloth seats
work station
running boards
9.6 power outlets
80 amp charger
20 inch wheels/upgraded tires
I could care less about the cameras and driver assist gimmicks and I happen to dislike the huge screens in all EVs so the XLT lets me get what I want and keep the traditional heat-ac-fan knobs and regular screen size.

$150 per month more than a Pro to have what I want.
EASY DECISION

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
If my dealership called me and said "Hey, we have an allocation slot for a Lightening and we want to give it to you, but the only caveat is that it has to be a Pro SR"....

Which in ICE-speak would be an XL CrewCab truck.......

First of all I would be thrilled. But I wouldn't be monkeying around with all the minutiae of what's in the various option packages like tow options. I'd spec it for everything that is available! I admit that a "Pro" isn't exactly the same thing as an XL in the ICE realm, but technically it is a Base truck. And the value-equation ($) is already SO fantastic that it has the EV world standing on its head. (look at us. Lol)

I'm dressing that thing up as much as I can. I'm not taking chances with regrets I might have later because I didn't think I "needed" something that cost $250.00 or even $750.00.

There's fellas that have purchased $60,000+ Powerboost trucks that didn't spend the $750 difference for the 2.4KW Pro Power to be upgraded to the 7.2KW Pro Power. And I know that some might defend that decision with their buddies, but now that they KNOW what that oversight actually is, down deep inside I'm convinced that they would write the check in a heartbeat if it was an option. (it isn't. Not retrofittable)

I digress. :)
An F150 STX is Ford's very clever approach to dress up an XL to appear very similar to an XLT Sport package. It was a brilliant idea and they sell like hotcakes.
I would LOVE a Pro if Ford will let me STX it, if you know what I mean. Heck, you could throw $1500 at Katzkinz and a Pro would look like a Lariat. :)

My point being is the Pro SR is a $teal!

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
Do you have a source for where they said this? They've definitely implied it, but I don't think I've ever seen it *specifically* stated for retail customers (I definitely could have missed it), and I've asked Ford communications on Twitter and not gotten a direct, specific answer.
Darren Palmer said that in his inside ev interview I believe it was. I would also think that with the chip shortage the Pro is by far the easiest to make. Pump them out ford!!

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Extending max towing from 7,700 to 10,000 that starts with the XLT trim could make moving up trim a priority for some though I don't tow much at the moment.
Max Trailer Tow Package is an option on all trims, except Platinum, where it's standard.
Not having Intelligent Access where the key fob can stay in pocket or purse might be fine for a work vehicle but would feel archaic for a personal vehicle. This alone keeps me from seriously considering the Pro, so might be the one item you were looking for.

However, I'd really like the phone as key and interior work surface even if I could live without. How is this not at least an option on the work oriented Pro? It would also be hard to not get the new signature hood lighting which looks much more thought out than the Pro where the light bar just seems to abruptly stop.
Intelligent Access is a nice feature. Phone As A Key would force you to move up to Lariat. PAAK has not worked reliably for me on MME. What I really want is Remote Start. For those hot days, to cool the cabin down before getting in.

GreasyLightning47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota, Lexus
Max Trailer Tow Package is an option on all trims, except Platinum, where it's standard.

Intelligent Access is a nice feature. Phone As A Key would force you to move up to Lariat. PAAK has not worked reliably for me on MME. What I really want is Remote Start. For those hot days, to cool the cabin down before getting in.
Would we be able to get remote start through the ford pass like some vehicles have ? Or is that extra $?
Sponsored