First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Just picked up my F150 at Granger yesterday. All went well- truck was flawless with the exception of some underbody surface rust. Could I use something like IronX to remove the rust here and on the axle ends safely and effectively? Any recommendations?:

Ford F-150 IronX to remove underbody surface rust? Diff Rust
Sponsored

OP
OP
nomarhits400

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
..Looks like IronX is just detailing grade for painted surfaces; I used a product years ago for this kind of rust conversion and protection- but couldn't remember the name of it. I beleive it was this. I'll test on a small area and report back if it works as intended:

Ford F-150 IronX to remove underbody surface rust? 1679425082276

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
Although I would rather have no surface rust, we have had very knowledgeable individuals on the forum suggest that the surface rust is not an issue and somewhat provides a layer of protection. I don't know that I agree with that, but it at least makes me less concerned about it. With that said, I would be interested to see your review of whatever you use. CLR is supposed to remove rust, but I've found that it generally removes only a portion of the rust, and is limited in its effectiveness.

OP
OP
nomarhits400

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Although I would rather have no surface rust, we have had very knowledgeable individuals on the forum suggest that the surface rust is not an issue and somewhat provides a layer of protection. I don't know that I agree with that, but it at least makes me less concerned about it. With that said, I would be interested to see your review of whatever you use. CLR is supposed to remove rust, but I've found that it generally removes only a portion of the rust, and is limited in its effectiveness.

Yeah- that's true- but this converts and is supposed to inhibit future rust from forming- I've seen it work pretty well on other applications that are admittedly not exposed to as much of the elements as the underside of a truck- but it seems worth a shot as it's no risk and realtively quick to apply. I will surely let everyone know if it's even moderately effective.

Sponsored

OP
OP
nomarhits400

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
That thread was wild. I didn't want to bring it back up, so the question is...

Has anyone examined the high strength steel? It seems the gen14s are using a much higher tensile strength steel than previous gens if I'm not mistaken. I would also have to question the current gen paint coatings. My 6/22 build HD frame truck didn't look bad, but it was obvious the diff had some light surface rust. Areas where the frame was dropped or scraped assumedly in production had also rusted slightly. I fluidfilmed the whole truck basically on day one and haven't noticed anything further yet.

OP
OP
nomarhits400

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Yeah- that's true- but this converts and is supposed to inhibit future rust from forming- I've seen it work pretty well on other applications that are admittedly not exposed to as much of the elements as the underside of a truck- but it seems worth a shot as it's no risk and realtively quick to apply. I will surely let everyone know if it's even moderately effective.
Finally got a chance to apply this today after weeks of some wet weather here. Pretty satisfied with the results with very little prep work. Basically just a pressure wash of the area and some light steel wool on the axle ends with heavier rust. First picture is before- and the 2nd picture is after 2-3 light coats dried for about 6 hours. Still needs a little work- might try a couple more coats to see if I can get the heavier rust completely converted- but MUCH better than when I took delivery:

Ford F-150 IronX to remove underbody surface rust? E740BC50-5B27-46F1-AA94-804E1425819F

Ford F-150 IronX to remove underbody surface rust? 4C0F357A-E10D-42C4-A042-9DBB42C1A183

Ford F-150 IronX to remove underbody surface rust? 904D8A5F-19A2-4C16-8071-C04F3543A047

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
If it's just surface rust, which new trucks should have (well, shouldn't) -- use the rust converting black paint spray paint after cleaning it. It's ~ $9 / can at walmart.

OP
OP
nomarhits400

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Yeah, I’ve used those products before- really work well; my only issue is I’m lazy and didn’t want to mask anything off before doing these touch ups. This converts the rust as well as protect against future rust without reacting with any of the other areas- and where the rust was relatively light it’s now a nice satin black.
Still-like you said- the rust converting paint is pretty nice for anything heavier than this I think.
Sponsored