Sponsored

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 5.0, 2021 F150 hybrid
So maybe I am confused, but the way this engineer explains the PB hybrid, it sounds like it is a 400 hp ecoboost with a 30 hp electric motor.
If the electric 35 kw motor is really 47 hp, that means that really the PB is 447 hp. Maybe they under rated it? He starts explaining the 2 motors around 22 minutes in the video and starts with thier shared parts.

Last edited:

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
So maybe I am confused, but the way this engineer explains the PB hybrid, it sounds like it is a 400 hp ecoboost with a 30 hp electric motor.
If the electric 35 kw motor is really 47 hp, that means that really the PB is 447 hp. Maybe they under rated it? He starts explaining the 2 motors around 22 minutes in the video and starts with thier shared parts.
You are right, I missed the difference in the hp rating. It should be the exact same Ecoboost that is in the non-hybrid Ecoboost. Maybe something to do with the electric motor be sandwiched between the motor and tranny but I really don't see why it would.

Alan Coles

First Name
AC53
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2015 VW Touareg TDi, 2011 Lincoln MKZ, and motorcycles
I had caught that when I initially watched the video and chalked it up to possible drivetrain/configuration loss, but have no idea if that would be the case. I don't know anything about the PowerBoost and not going in that direction so I didn't pay any more attention to it.

executor485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
If you're wondering why you can't/don't just do a straight add of motor power plus hybrid power start watching some of the super in-depth videos of Koenigsegg's vehicles. It logically sounds like you should just add a few numbers and call it a day. But when Christian Von Koenigsegg starts explaining the way the motors assist each other and how it's not just pure additive; you can appreciate that logic and math don't always sync.

I'm still VERY bothered by the cylinder deactivation discussion when there is ZERO literature covering it. I get the feeling it's not ready or maybe the engineers planned for it but somewhere else in the chain they decided to not enable it? Maybe they'll enable it later with an OTA update? Who knows :(

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
If you're wondering why you can't/don't just do a straight add of motor power plus hybrid power start watching some of the super in-depth videos of Koenigsegg's vehicles. It logically sounds like you should just add a few numbers and call it a day. But when Christian Von Koenigsegg starts explaining the way the motors assist each other and how it's not just pure additive; you can appreciate that logic and math don't always sync.

I'm still VERY bothered by the cylinder deactivation discussion when there is ZERO literature covering it. I get the feeling it's not ready or maybe the engineers planned for it but somewhere else in the chain they decided to not enable it? Maybe they'll enable it later with an OTA update? Who knows :(
They may know it is not popular.

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Fair enough, I was adding the 47 hp to the 400 hp ecoboost because Ford advertised the 35kw electric motor at 47 hp.

From what I have read, the cylinder deactivation is part of the 5.0. It might even be on the printout of new updates, that I got from Ford when I ordered my hybrid.

Let me check it out and get back to you.

Last edited:

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fair enough, I was adding the 47 hp to the 400 hp ecoboost, because Ford advertised the 35kw electric motor at 47 hp.

From what I have read, the cylinder deactivation is part of the 5.0. It might even be on the printout of new updates, that I got from Ford when I ordered my hybrid.

Let me check it out and get back to you.
Sorry, I can't find it. I know that the salesman was talking about it when I ordered my Hybrid. Hopefully there is something in writing shortly.

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This video is about the new cylinder deactivation on the 5.0
Hope this helps you.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
This video is about the new cylinder deactivation on the 5.0
Hope this helps you.

It doesn’t really tell us anything. Seems odd to be such a big feature yet ford won’t acknowledge it anywhere?
Sponsored