Intermittent hum or howl from front end

lb7mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT 3.5EB
So it did it to me again when I was driving the truck to the dealership. But of course, they cannot replicate it. I told them to keep it overnight and do a drive up to 50mph on a cold start. It snowed a bunch here yesterday, so I was in and out of 4wd, and im almost sure it’s something with the driver’s side hub. When you engage or disengage 4wd at lower speeds, it momentarily makes almost the exact same noise. Either way, we will see what they come up with tomorrow. Since I am only keeping this truck til my Superduty comes in, I am just going to drive it and not worry about it, should they not be able to replicate the issue in the morning.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
So it did it to me again when I was driving the truck to the dealership. But of course, they cannot replicate it. I told them to keep it overnight and do a drive up to 50mph on a cold start. It snowed a bunch here yesterday, so I was in and out of 4wd, and im almost sure it’s something with the driver’s side hub. When you engage or disengage 4wd at lower speeds, it momentarily makes almost the exact same noise. Either way, we will see what they come up with tomorrow. Since I am only keeping this truck til my Superduty comes in, I am just going to drive it and not worry about it, should they not be able to replicate the issue in the morning.
I’ll give the 4wd engagement a shot and see if I can hear it also.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hello there! Could you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I'd like to look into this for you.

Jstedman

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 STX 3.5
2022 STX 3.5
8800 miles
Same exact issue.

Same spot every time it happens.(3-4 times) Morning commute, 40-45mph same corner. Righ hand turn. Drivers side front wheel sounds like fender rubbing. Didnt start untill the weather started to get colder. Maybe a month ago ish.

Worst part is I live about 1 mile from the dealer and this corner is legit right at the dealer lol.

Joined this forum because of this thread. Hopefully find an answer.

lb7mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT 3.5EB
2022 STX 3.5
8800 miles
Same exact issue.

Same spot every time it happens.(3-4 times) Morning commute, 40-45mph same corner. Righ hand turn. Drivers side front wheel sounds like fender rubbing. Didnt start untill the weather started to get colder. Maybe a month ago ish.

Worst part is I live about 1 mile from the dealer and this corner is legit right at the dealer lol.

Well,
The dealer couldn’t find anything wrong with it. So as of right now I am not going to worry about it unless it becomes more of a common occurrence. I have noticed that it isn’t as likely to do it in warmer weather. Yesterday and the day before in Colorado, we had 50* temps in the morning and it was the first morning that it hasn’t done it to me. No clue if that has anything to do with it, but worth noting. I’ll post any updates should anything else occur. Sucks that people are having this issue, but it seems as though every vehicle I have had post 2020 has had some sort of nagging issue. My wife’s 2020 Explorer ST had all sorts of issues with downpipes, cameras, and cv shafts. My 2021 Superduty had a DEF injector failure that occurred within 5000 miles, had a 2020 Ram 3500 that had trans issues, and a 2022 Ram Rebel that immediately developed a clunk in the front suspension with 35 miles on the truck.

Sponsored

Maplestaple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 f150 5.4/ 2022 Tremor
Occupation
Equipment Op
As the other gentleman mentioned, older models had IWE issues, I have a 2006 that used to do it. Sounded like this (not my video).
If it keeps doing this, it will grind the teeth on the locking hubs down to nothing. Damage occurs every time you hear that noise.

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
2022 STX 3.5
8800 miles
Same exact issue.

Sorry to hear you’re in the same boat as us. Hopefully ford releases a TSB related to this issue sometime soon

XLT_SuperCab

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT SuperCab
Joined because of this thread as well. I’ve experienced the same. First time at less than 600 total miles. Four occurrences at same location on my way to work after cresting a small incline about 2.25 miles into 3 mile commute. Feels exactly as if I’m on a rumble strip lasting approximately 5 seconds or so. During one episode I manually downshifted from 6 to 5 (having blocked out 8, 9, 10) trying to trouble shoot, but this did not stop the issue. The other day I took a different route to work and it happened again for just a second or two at about the same distance from home on a different road? Truck is at 1200+ miles now. So far it has only occurred on my morning commute to work. Interesting to hear of a few others experiencing the same, so hoping for a corrective diagnostic.

2022 XLT 5.0 SC built 9-26-22

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
Joined because of this thread as well. I’ve experienced the same. First time at less than 600 total miles. Four occurrences at same location on my way to work after cresting a small incline about 2.25 miles into 3 mile commute. Feels exactly as if I’m on a rumble strip lasting approximately 5 seconds or so. During one episode I manually downshifted from 6 to 5 (having blocked out 8, 9, 10) trying to trouble shoot, but this did not stop the issue. The other day I took a different route to work and it happened again for just a second or two at about the same distance from home on a different road? Truck is at 1200+ miles now. So far it has only occurred on my morning commute to work. Interesting to hear of a few others experiencing the same, so hoping for a corrective diagnostic.

Glad to have you here as well. The more we push this issue, the sooner we can have it resolved.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Hello there! Are you still experiencing this noise concern? If so, please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your preferred Ford dealer. Thank you!

Monochrome150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 xlt sport
Occupation
operrator
22 f150 xlt 3.5. Same issue dealer has it every week. They originally found it before I got the truck so they know it’s doing it but can’t replicate it. Also have two other new trucks on the lot that do it. Anyone found a solution?

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
22 f150 xlt 3.5. Same issue dealer has it every week. They originally found it before I got the truck so they know it’s doing it but can’t replicate it. Also have two other new trucks on the lot that do it. Anyone found a solution?
Sadly I report my 2022 XLT started doing it at 8000 miles too. Yet, if I cycle 4WD, I get a clunk and it goes away For awhile. Then 4wd engages flawlessly for awhile. If I hear the noise it clunks on 4WD engagement the first time and the noise goes away. (Does not sound like the video above) For awhile.
It seemed to start with the cold weather. So far I’d say stop the noise by changing drive mode asap and keep driving. it will fail or clear up. I’m gonna change gear oil and see what I get.

Last edited:

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
As the other gentleman mentioned, older models had IWE issues, I have a 2006 that used to do it. Sounded like this (not my video).
If it keeps doing this, it will grind the teeth on the locking hubs down to nothing. Damage occurs every time you hear that noise.
That part along with the diaphragm can cause engine misfire while failing. It did on my 2016 F150 4x4 5.0. Easy fix and great video.
outstanding!

Monochrome150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 xlt sport
Occupation
operrator
Sadly I report my 2022 XLT started doing it at 8000 miles too. Yet, if I cycle 4WD, I get a clunk and it goes away For awhile. Then 4wd engages flawlessly for awhile. If I hear the noise it clunks on 4WD engagement the first time and the noise goes away. (Does not sound like the video above) For awhile.
It seemed to start with the cold weather. So far I’d say stop the noise by changing drive mode asap and keep driving. it will fail or clear up. I’m gonna change gear oil and see what I get.
Yeah my truck is going back in Friday and if they can’t replicate it they’re gonna start checking oil. Cold definitely seems to be an issue I believe cause when I park it in our wash bay overnight it never happens. Truck only has 500 miles but was doing it under 100
Sponsored