Intermittent hum or howl from front end

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Any updates? Will this cause long term damage?

I see all the cold weather theories, but I’m in Florida and it’s consistent regardless of temp. Bad in 2H, kind of goes away in 4A. Dreading fighting the dealer and trying to play the loaner game for it to be fixed right.

people say 22+ don’t have the hubs… sooo can we just remove them or what goes into that process?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't know what kind of errors you might get with an IWE-delete on these Gen14 trucks. It was as easy as unplugging the vacuum lines on the previous F150s.
(IWE delete means to leave them fully engaged. Vacuum was used to keep them from engaging)

You could certainly Unplug them electrically while they are engaged, and the stepper motor shouldn't be able to spin without power. Then see if the dash shows that it's upset?

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I don't know what kind of errors you might get with an IWE-delete on these Gen14 trucks. It was as easy as unplugging the vacuum lines on the previous F150s.
(IWE delete means to leave them fully engaged. Vacuum was used to keep them from engaging)

You could certainly Unplug them electrically while they are engaged, and the stepper motor shouldn't be able to spin without power. Then see if the dash shows that it's upset?
I’m really struggling to understand the function of the IWE. By deleting it, and having it always engaged… you’re saying I’d always be in 4A pretty much?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m really struggling to understand the function of the IWE. By deleting it, and having it always engaged… you’re saying I’d always be in 4A pretty much?
Not at all.
In fact, my 2022 Powerboost was shipped by Ford with the IWE completely eliminated. The axle is permanently engaged in the hub.
But that doesn't engage 4A.
4A requires the transfer case to connect the front differential to the rear differential.

If you were to engage the front IWE, and then unplug them, you simply defeated them from disengaging. So your front hub/axle/differential would be exactly the same as the trucks without IWE's.

Keep in mind that Ford lowered the EPA fuel economy rating from 24mpg to 23mpg between my two Powerboost. (2021 Platinum (IWE) /2022 KingRanch (no IWE)
I don't know if the whole 1mpg adjustment was IWE related, but it takes some additional torque to spin those front axles.

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Not at all.
In fact, my 2022 Powerboost was shipped by Ford with the IWE completely eliminated. The axle is permanently engaged in the hub.
But that doesn't engage 4A.
4A requires the transfer case to connect the front differential to the rear differential.

If you were to engage the front IWE, and then unplug them, you simply defeated them from disengaging. So your front hub/axle/differential would be exactly the same as the trucks without IWE's.

Keep in mind that Ford lowered the EPA fuel economy rating from 24mpg to 23mpg between my two Powerboost. (2021 Platinum (IWE) /2022 KingRanch (no IWE)
I don't know if the whole 1mpg adjustment was IWE related, but it takes some additional torque to spin those front axles.
Let’s see… just googled CV to try and catch up. Hub is always engaged, so wheels are always spinning obviously with the CV? But power isn’t applied to the CV unless in 4A?

Deleting IWE seems too good to be true and almost too easy. What I want to know, is what is the worst case scenario if I just keep driving with the slight hum? I’m at 33,000 miles and avoiding the dealer like the plague. Any measures I can take myself I will.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Let’s see… just googled CV to try and catch up. Hub is always engaged, so wheels are always spinning obviously with the CV? But power isn’t applied to the CV unless in 4A?

Deleting IWE seems too good to be true and almost too easy. What I want to know, is what is the worst case scenario if I just keep driving with the slight hum? I’m at 33,000 miles and avoiding the dealer like the plague. Any measures I can take myself I will.
There is a TSB (still current) from Ford regarding IWE's on 2017-2020 F150s. On trucks with 4A Transfer Case, Ford instructs the technician to remove the vacuum from the IWE and cap off the lines and ports. Literally disabling them. Permanent hub engagement.

The procedure is otherwise known as IWE-delete.

Ford removed the IWE altogether on many of the Gen14 4A equipped F150s.

So effectively the same conclusion.

jhelrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 CC Platinum FX4 5.0 4X4 3.73 LB
Had I known the IWE was $80, I would have replaced it myself vs the headaches, etc. with Ford.

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
There is a TSB (still current) from Ford regarding IWE's on 2017-2020 F150s. On trucks with 4A Transfer Case, Ford instructs the technician to remove the vacuum from the IWE and cap off the lines and ports. Literally disabling them. Permanent hub engagement.

The procedure is otherwise known as IWE-delete.

Ford removed the IWE altogether on many of the Gen14 4A equipped F150s.

So effectively the same conclusion.
Tracking… so the point of the IWE is to disengage to allow for better fuel economy due to less drag? Essentially an expensive part for small gains, kind of like the carpet bib covering oil pan?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Found the TSB
Get this..... It's for 14 straight year models of F150 with the TOD (4A) Transfer Case.

Ford F-150 Intermittent hum or howl from front end 1000021222

If 4A equipped, check out what Ford decided to do after messing with the repairs for nearly 18 years

Ford F-150 Intermittent hum or howl from front end 1000021220

I've attached the whole TSB.

Attachments

TJE

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150 xlt
At least on mine, I'm convinced it has nothing to do with temp. It was below 30 this morning in my way to work, 2wd, no hum. Just got back from lunch, almost 60 degrees, hum. Getting really frustrating.

Sponsored

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
At least on mine, I'm convinced it has nothing to do with temp. It was below 30 this morning in my way to work, 2wd, no hum. Just got back from lunch, almost 60 degrees, hum. Getting really frustrating.
I live in Michigan and it did not start happening for me until it got cold. Now my truck is out in LA where of course it’s way warmer and the sound remains. So yeah in my case temp has no impact.

Reactions: TJE

TJE

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150 xlt
I'm also beginning to worry about the long term effects of keeping it in 4a all the time. I don't worry about it in the snow, but I get conflicting info as to whether being in 4a on dry roads is completely fine, or will do serious damage (seems odd that sport mode would auto select 4a if the latter was true). But 4a guarantees there's no hum....

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I'm also beginning to worry about the long term effects of keeping it in 4a all the time. I don't worry about it in the snow, but I get conflicting info as to whether being in 4a on dry roads is completely fine, or will do serious damage (seems odd that sport mode would auto select 4a if the latter was true). But 4a guarantees there's no hum....
See that interesting. When I have mine in 4A the howl/hum is intermittent. Like if I’m on the throttle lightly I’ll hear it but with my foot off then there is no noise at all. Weird for sure.

TJE

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150 xlt
See that interesting. When I have mine in 4A the howl/hum is intermittent. Like if I’m on the throttle lightly I’ll hear it but with my foot off then there is no noise at all. Weird for sure.
Mine is intermittent in 2wd, but I've never noticed it in 4a. Mine also only happenes when slowing down to a stop, maybe once or twice I've noticed it going 15 turning to the right slightly.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4A shouldn't be an issue on dry pavement. It's literally designed for it.
Sport Mode certainly wouldn't be a slippery surface mode.

However, I wouldn't want to live with being forced to use 4A just to avoid IWE issues. I'd much rather just not have the IWE option but still decide for myself whether I wanted the front differently connected to the crankshaft, if you know what I mean.
Sponsored