Sponsored

Interior work surface - Retrofit install later ?

Dc2Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Can the interior work surface be added at a later time if not equipped from the factory ? Any ideas on how much it would cost ? Is it a simple replacement of the standard center console cushion? Thanks!
Sponsored

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
I would think that you could exchange at a later date... it appears to be a split cushion with a hinge. However, I was not able to identify where the screws holding the cushion are hiding. Although I didn't have much light to look around. The folding shifter is there regardless of if you ordered the interior work surface.

Availability of the replace cushion may take awhile as they will use them for production build prior to placing them in the part bins.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Looking out for one as well. My XLT placed the gear shifter on the steering wheel column which now frees up the area to unfold that interior work surface.

I'm a bit perplexed that the center console armrest itself can't be opened. I know there is a bin underneath at the seat level.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
May ask is why? It is probably damn expensive and you could possibly have to buy the whole console.

timf343

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150; 2020 RAM 1500
Occupation
Engineer
I tend to agree. While I can see the value of a work surface for filling out paperwork, I much prefer a fixed laptop mount that can be used with a computer while driving — a laptop sitting on a work surface could present a dangerous projectile if in a collision.

I use https://www.rammount.com/

Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I tend to agree. While I can see the value of a work surface for filling out paperwork, I much prefer a fixed laptop mount that can be used with a computer while driving — a laptop sitting on a work surface could present a dangerous projectile if in a collision.

I use https://www.rammount.com/
I personally don't use a laptop while driving. Plus I want my armrest back if I'm driving! A laptop that is not stored is a dangerous projectile in anything moving. DUUUUUCK!

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
May ask is why? It is probably damn expensive and you could possibly have to buy the whole console.
I have the whole console. If it were just an armrest swap out, then I'd consider if the price was right. It is going to be awhile before accessories go on sale since they are still building to catch-up to the demands due to COVID.

H-Town

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special
The way I understand it, the shifter has to be folded down for the work surface to be fully extended and the only way to my the shifter flat is when it’s in park.

timf343

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150; 2020 RAM 1500
Occupation
Engineer
I personally don't use a laptop while driving. Plus I want my armrest back if I'm driving! A laptop that is not stored is a dangerous projectile in anything moving. DUUUUUCK!
I didn’t necessarily mean pointing and clicking while moving. But rather having it accessible for quick interaction at stop lights or a visual indicator to pull over and perform some action.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I didn’t necessarily mean pointing and clicking while moving. But rather having it accessible for quick interaction at stop lights or a visual indicator to pull over and perform some action.
Oh this thread could go terribly R-rated fast.

Officer: "Excuse me...but I noticed some interesting content playing on your laptop screen at the previous stop light...."

Me: "Uh..um...yes. I noticed a visual indicator and needed to perform some 'action' "

Officer: "Why did you just not play it on that gorgeous 12" screen on the dash? Open laptops can be very dangerous"

Me: "Ford didn't give me an option for an in-dash DVD player...and none of my apps stream video to SYNC4"

Sponsored

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
I have same question. There’s a truck available with everything I want except that. Wondering if I can just swap out later with different center console lid once part availability is normal. Shifter still folds even if you don’t get the interior work surface option. Also curious like OP how much the part could be once available.

sebryce

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking at the 2021 F-150 to replace a Ram 1500
Occupation
business owner
I purchased a Lariat last Friday and incorrectly assumed it had the fold out work surface since the shifter folded down. What is the purpose of the fold down shifter then? Want to exchange the truck but the dealer has no comparable inventory in lead foot and won’t for quite some time. My mistake I guess and now have to live with it. If they ever have a option to add one I will purchase...

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I think it will be quite some time before anyone will actually know. Someone will probably figure something out and post on youtube. Till then all you can do is guess. Maybe find out what company is actually making them and contact them if it is not China.

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
My understanding and looking at it. It appears to be just the console lid and should be no problem to reto fit. I did read somewhere a ford rep stated this as well ford would eventually have a kit available. Might find it in ford parts catalog if available yet.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I purchased a Lariat last Friday and incorrectly assumed it had the fold out work surface since the shifter folded down. What is the purpose of the fold down shifter then? Want to exchange the truck but the dealer has no comparable inventory in lead foot and won’t for quite some time. My mistake I guess and now have to live with it. If they ever have a option to add one I will purchase...
We’ve discussed this at great length on multiple other threads. The consensus is that it would be cheapest just to have one gearshift/folding component instead of two different ones being mass produced. Thus, trucks with the console mounted shifter have the motor regardless of the option.

This seems to be true as the fold flat shifter motor would seems like it would cost way more than the retail price of $165 for the Fold Flat Work Surface option. The motor price is probably built into the overall MSRP, and the $165 is what Ford dings us for wanting the fancy fold out console lid.
Sponsored