Sponsored

Interior / Tailgate work surface survey!

Do you use the interior/ tailgate work surface?

• Total voters

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
For those of you who have the interior work surface and tailgate work surface, do you actually USE them?

Ford heavily advertised these then the truck launched. Curious to see who actually utilizes them/ needs them.
Sponsored

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I've used the interior work surface a couple of times to eat lunch, nice area to place food, napkins etc. Haven't used the tailgate surface, seems kind of useless other than the clamping points. I hope people aren't building houses or fabricating cabinets using the measuring scale on a truck tailgate.:rolleyes:

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
You forgot the poll for the survey....

Tailgate is covered with a mat....

I've used the interior work surface once to see if it what it was like.

I don't use the inside of the truck as a picnic table.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
Tailgate work surface covered with a BedRug - that's how important it is to me being retired. The bottle opener/tie down is more important.

Interior work surface - I do not have the option. I have used a laptop a couple of times in the truck, but once the gearshift is down I still have a flat surface that is at a good enough height and enough room for the laptop.

Ford F-150 Interior / Tailgate work surface survey! 20211118_100345

Last edited:

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I’ve used the work surface a few times for food at drive in places. I also use it whenever I’m making forscan changes. Tailgate surface I’ve used 3 times when working on projects.

Sponsored

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
No to both but I would not get the truck without the interior work surface it was $170 option on a $74K truck, I would get it for resale if for no other reason.

The tailgate in my opinion is a bit of a gimmick but who knows in time I may have a need. It was standard on my truck so nothing to omit there.

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
I;ve used the interior work surface to eat on, use a laptop and to simply fill out a form as there is no other area to easily write on paper at from the seat. I've used to the tailgate work surface with a saw and measuring even at home so I don't have to pull out a folding table or some support for my miter saw or hand saw when cutting lumber. Just opened it up in my driveway and cut from there.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
You forgot the poll for the survey....

Tailgate is covered with a mat....

I've used the interior work surface once to see if it what it was like.

I don't use the inside of the truck as a picnic table.
Fixed!

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
I have had two 2021 F-150's (long long story....) and the first one had the work surface/step in the tailgate, and the second one does not. While I used the step a lot, I never used the work surface other than a few times to cut wood just because I wanted to use the clamp pockets and because I could. I never NEEDED to. I chose to not have the step/work surface on the second truck because the trim piece covering the step would fall off constantly. Almost every time I stepped down off the step, the cover would fall off. When I loaded something that hung out of the bed, like lumber, if I tried to pull the piece out the cover would come loose. Maybe it was just mine, but nothing looked broken, it just looked like it was designed that way and open to being easily disconnected. The step and work surface weren't worth it for me, plus the tailgate is so much lighter without the step. The clamp pocket and extra tie downs are on every tailgate, and those are the two most useful features in my opinion. The interior work surface....I tried as hard as I could to find one with it, but no such luck. I'm jealous as that looks like it would be useful.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
The only reason I was interested in the interior work surface was for eating fast food on trips. But since the work surface covers the front cup holders, I decided against it.

Sponsored

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum (job 2)
The only reason I was interested in the interior work surface was for eating fast food on trips. But since the work surface covers the front cup holders, I decided against it.
Drinks can go on the work surface! (Or in the cup holders behind the work surface)

riverdave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 scabXLT,5.0, 2015 HDFLHXSE
I've always used the tailgate as a work bench and for cutting wood; just a Linex surface. I do have use for the interior work surface on occasion and as stated prior, for the short money for the option, a easy decision... it works well on a center console model.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
My biggest use for the interior work surface is place much laptop there while I work forscan mods. For this it’s wonderful!

as for the tailgate, it’s nice to have some places that I can put things so they don’t roll around like in the little cup area. I’ve definitely used the clamp pockets and the tailgate tie downs. The ruler has been useful when I was cutting 2x4s in half for target posts. So I guess I’ve used nearly everything on there but the phone holder!

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I wasn't interested in the tailgate as a work surface. I had to have the lightest tailgate possible since I'm getting a PB, and need all the weight savings possible.

Also didn't need a work surface. Don't need a place to spread out a meal, and I definitely do not use my truck as an office.

ib_jigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2013 Edge Limited, 2023 Explorer ST
If I could use the interior work sufrace while driving I would, otherwise, it has not been used yet!
Sponsored