Interior climate control - easy or not?

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I played around with the climate control system on a 2021 XLT 302 (auto temperature control) and I noticed if you want to change the air flow source (feet, face, windshield) you have to press a manual button, then an on-screen selector (for the source), and then press close (or wait for the selector to go away). To me, this seems rather cumbersome to make a simple airflow adjustment.

Granted, I am accustomed to (and prefer) manual climate control where I can easily adjust temp, fan speed, and air source with nice big dials without my eyes leaving the road. Does anyone else feel this way, or do you just set it on auto, adjust the temp, and forget about it? I'm not sure if the previous generation was designed the same way.
Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I haven't had a chance to play with the manual/auto adjustments since I remote start the truck and its warm/comfy when I get in. But I will on my next journey out and report back. I just hate that there is no dedicated SYNC4 screen for climate / seat heat....yet...

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I know what you mean. It does seem like an extra step to make an airflow adjustment and the controls on my former ‘18 were simpler.

That being said I have just been keeping it on auto and taking a “set and forget” approach. So far it has been working just fine during these cold days in Michigan.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I know what you mean. It does seem like an extra step to make an airflow adjustment and the controls on my former ‘18 were simpler.

That being said I have just been keeping it on auto and taking a “set and forget” approach. So far it has been working just fine during these cold days in Michigan.

LOL.....SW Michigan here!

Sponsored

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
Just looked at the manual, it does seem cumbersome. Gonna drive my wife CRAZY!.... Not a good thing!

For example, here is the information on defrost -
Ford F-150 Interior climate control - easy or not? 1610027972411

So much for physical buttons. They just turn on the touch screen to the proper place. I have never had to make sure other vents are switched off when I turn on the defrost. It should automatically close all vents except the windshield.

Just my humble opinion.
Ford F-150 Interior climate control - easy or not? 1610027972411

billybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A, 2012 Focus SEL
Occupation
EE
The wife and I usually like the settings different, in our last two cars we have had the auto dual zone controls and I would not get another car/truck without it now. We almost exclusively use auto and just bump the temp up or down on our own side.

McEach

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I know it's a little off subject but in my 2020 F150 XLT i have only manual climate control. If i want to set it to 70 degrees, there is no readout anywhere that shows 70 when I turn knob.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
It is cumbersome if you are particular about airflow. You are correct, you have to press a physical button and then a touchscreen button to turn off defrost/dash vent/footwell air flow. I find that the "auto" is extraordinarily bad and annoying. It never has the fan speed right no matter what you do and it doesn't seem to control the vent selection at all. Also the recirculate button randomly turns itself off, usually when you're driving through wood smoke or behind a diesel truck. There are dedicated buttons, though, for max defrost and max air conditioning. Those will give you full fans being with one button if your windshield fogs up or something like that. On the good side, the fan speed button works really well to bump the speed up and down. And the dual zone temperature control also works really well. My wife and I often have different settings.

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I’m a huge Auto and forget about it kind of person. I find manual climate really annoying, constantly have to adjust it lol. It helps that I like the direction it chooses. Hate heat on my face and I like A/C on my face. And it always defogs when needed. I just adjust the temp every once in a while

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
It is cumbersome if you are particular about airflow. You are correct, you have to press a physical button and then a touchscreen button to turn off defrost/dash vent/footwell air flow. I find that the "auto" is extraordinarily bad and annoying. It never has the fan speed right no matter what you do and it doesn't seem to control the vent selection at all. Also the recirculate button randomly turns itself off, usually when you're driving through wood smoke or behind a diesel truck. There are dedicated buttons, though, for max defrost and max air conditioning. Those will give you full fans being with one button if your windshield fogs up or something like that. On the good side, the fan speed button works really well to bump the speed up and down. And the dual zone temperature control also works really well. My wife and I often have different settings.
Have you tried adjusting the auto fan speed setting? It can be on low medium or high. I keep mine on medium and it seems to be appropriate most of the time. I’ll bump it to high occasionally when I’m really cold

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Have you tried adjusting the auto fan speed setting? It can be on low medium or high. I keep mine on medium and it seems to be appropriate most of the time. I’ll bump it to high occasionally when I’m really cold
Yeah, I have tried it but after 5 minutes I give up and go back to manual control. I think I am just super picky. If my feet are cold, I want just the foot vent on. But I hate air conditioning on my feet - dash vents only please! When I have the sunroof open, I tweak the rear slider 1/2" at a time to get just the right flow. I know many love Auto but it just doesn't work for me.

CK.MECHA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Motorcycles
I hate it, and hate the fact you cannot modulate the flow between settings even more. My last vehicle (a Japanese SUV half the price of my truck new) I could set the flow to any fraction of airflow between feet, dash, and defrost. If I wanted 15% defrost and 85% feet, I could have it. No longer, stuck with all or nothing.

OP
OP
BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I hate it, and hate the fact you cannot modulate the flow between settings even more. My last vehicle (a Japanese SUV half the price of my truck new) I could set the flow to any fraction of airflow between feet, dash, and defrost. If I wanted 15% defrost and 85% feet, I could have it. No longer, stuck with all or nothing.
Can you select both feet and windshield when the icons pop up on the screen?
Sponsored