First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Construction
Thanks for posting the pic of the plug - took a quick peek and couldn't find it. Is it accessible from the top of the engine bay or from underneath? Any trim need to be removed? Thanks!

isthatahemi

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat SCREW 5.0 3.73
Occupation
Manager
Underneath, behind the air damn adjacent to the passenger side frame rail at the front

BA73

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Construction
Found it, thanks! I have a Tremor so there was a pesky skid plate in the way.

hammerhead2411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Are there any potential drawbacks/issues to disabling the shutters? Considering this mod but don't want to harm anything in the long run.
Also, would a tune be required after disabling the shutters?

I understand these motors are capped far below their potential, I have a general knowledge of how motors work, but I certainly don't trust myself when it comes to powertrain mods :oops:

Any input from wiser minds would be much appreciated!

Sponsored

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I had read that the original Ecoboost F150's would freeze up the intercooler and that's what was causing the no acceleration / surging issues Ford used to have. The shutters were the solution? Don't have any first hand knowledge but they may be more than just an efficiency thing.

There has to be a way to wire up a switch that is either auto (how they are now) and open. Does a pin get grounded to open? Or is it 5v to open?

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
One of the reason turbocharged automotive engines, ( gas engines that the manufacturers converted to run as diesel) didn't take off years ago (1970's) was they didn't make the engines strong enough to handle the higher combustion pressures so the engine failures (mostly head gaskets) were much more often.

Combustion pressure is a factor of how much air and fuel you can get into the cylinder.

So why would you knowingly push more air and fuel into a combustion space to get a few more horses. Just buy a bigger engine with more horsepower.

No offense dude....but that has to be one of the least informed ideas I have ever read. To answer your question? To make MORE power. This is not the 70s. Technology with respect to materials and ECU tuning is 100000000000x better. And it's not "'a few more horses." There are 122ci engines that made 200HP from the factory that are now making close to 2000HP from pushing "more air into a combustion space" lol. Guffaws.

Last edited:

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
I had read that the original Ecoboost F150's would freeze up the intercooler and that's what was causing the no acceleration / surging issues Ford used to have.
How? An intercooler like that is just an air to air heat exchanger or radiator and most have an efficiency less than 100%.

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
How? An intercooler like that is just an air to air heat exchanger or radiator and most have an efficiency less than 100%.
Condensation would form inside the intercooler due to the rapid temp swings and that alone is an issue. In the winter that condensation would turn to ice. I Imagine water might freeze above 32* on the highway due to speed / wind-chill.

I justnwont to open the discussion as there may be consequences to having shutters always open.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Condensation would form inside the intercooler due to the rapid temp swings and that alone is an issue. In the winter that condensation would turn to ice. I Imagine water might freeze above 32* on the highway due to speed / wind-chill.

I justnwont to open the discussion as there may be consequences to having shutters always open.
There's adiabatic heating of intake air (via turbos) however that would prevent any icing. Any condensation in the IC is not significant to freeze and obstruct airflow. Me thinks any condensation would pool on the bottom of the IC anyway...again...not having any significant effect in blocking any airflow through the IC core. I have been around turbo vehicles a long time and I have never seen such a scenario play out even once!

Sponsored

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
There's adiabatic heating of intake air (via turbos) however that would prevent any icing. Any condensation in the IC is not significant to freeze and obstruct airflow. Me thinks any condensation would pool on the bottom of the IC anyway...again...not having any significant effect in blocking any airflow through the IC core. I have been around turbo vehicles a long time and I have never seen such a scenario play out even once!
I'm not saying it will happen with the 2021+ but that scenario is what was happening to the Ecoboost F150 11 years ago and the shutters were part of the solution.

So it's played out more than once.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
@Chili is 100% accurate in his historical reference to the 2011-2012 3.5 Ecoboost F150.

The condensation would pool in the bottom of the Intercooler, and then at WOT be ingested in the combustion chamber.
Mild symptoms were misfires.
Extreme symptoms was bent rod.

It launched the infamous "weep hole" debate and there are still to this day many Gen1 3.5 Ecoboost F150's running around with a 1/16th " hole drilled at the low point in the Intercooler tank.

In 2013, Ford intentionally made changes to REDUCE the efficiency of the Intercooler using a redesigned shield that blocked a percentage of air flow/heat exchange efficiency.

Louvers came next. I also believe Ford raised the height of the lowest point of the exit pipe so it would be less likely for liquid to enter it so unimpeded.

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT FX4 3.5EB
Occupation
Biomedical
I can confirm the original 3.5 EB condensation issue. I owned a 2012 xlt. I used it in a field service job for Mississippi and Louisiana. I had issues in long halls greater than 2 hours. I did have tsb air dam installed but issues still happen. As a solution I would driveway idle for a minimum of 5 minutes. My issues were solved except for one trip of 14 hours straight from north Indiana to southern Louisiana. Maybe I should have idled longer before shutting down but I was exhausted. So I am happy have them working but I do live at sea level in high humidity. YMMV….

isthatahemi

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat SCREW 5.0 3.73
Occupation
Manager
The current gen can both freeze and pool condensation in the right conditions. I gave up and drilled a tiny hole in the bottom of my intercooler on my previous truck and that was the end of that issue.
The shutters do prevent both by allowing heat to build in the intercooler, hence the higher IATs with the shutter in place.

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Has anyone installed the Titan V2 on a powerboost? Looking for what others did with the pedestrian speaker. I prefer to keep it on/functional if possible but apparently conflicts with the fitment on its stock location. Thanks.
Sponsored