Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
From what I've observed, cruise "resume" in stop-n-go waits for the car ahead to move away a distance related to the distance-keeping setting then it offers to resume by pressing the magic button:
1629910885891.png

1629911026959.png
It depends if you came to stop following a car with it already engaged, the “after following a vehicle to a complete stop part” and if it thinks you’re on a divided highway or not. If you’re lucky and it does then you don’t need to hit the resume button and it actually starts going by itself.
Sponsored

JoeBlowFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Plat PB (Job 1)
I definitely need to use it more, to form a more complete opinion. On my 250 mile drive home from the dealer, I turned it off after 180 miles. My arms were getting pretty fatigued, which tells me I was fighting the system, I'm guessing for lane position. Haven't had much opportunity to try it again since.

It felt to me like if I didn't provide some sort of near continuous correction, I was getting the warning about hands on the wheel.

Next time I use it, I'll try to simply rest my hands on the wheel and see how that goes. Hopefully I can override my brain's desire to fight the wheel.

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
I've tested the cruise control in my truck. I have the sensitivity set to one. The reason I do that is so no one can sneak in between you and the vehicle ahead of you. It works well. My truck actually stopped and when traffic started again so did my truck. i agree with some of the comments in the previous posts but overall I think Ford did a good job.

vancep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport 502A
Reading this makes me a little nervous to get my truck. I currently have lane centering from a brand many car reviewers claim to be the best system (Genesis, Hyundai, Kia - I have a Genesis G70). I knew the Ford was going to bother me about hands on the wheel more, but it sounds like almost an obnoxious amount from what you all are saying. I also knew I’d be losing the ability to use it when not on cruise control, but not a big deal. I have made almost entire 3-4 hour trips without getting a “hand on the wheel” warning in the Genesis. It usually gives me about 45-90 seconds between warnings with my hands off the wheel completely. I’m seeing the f150 is more like 15? And I’ve come to learn what the lane centering can and can’t handle and anticipate it pretty well, I’m guessing that’s similar for people who use it often on the f150? (Ex the exit ramps, the Genesis will half follow them and then cut out too). Also does the system shut down until you power cycle if you don’t cancel the “hands on the wheel” fast enough? My car will shut it down just until it detects you on the wheel again.

Can anyone who frequently used these systems on a different brand prior to the f150 comment on how the transition has been? Also, how well does the adaptive cruise handle stop and go traffic? That is one of my favorite uses for it currently.
I just drove my new F150 from Nebraska to Utah, my wife drives a 21 Kia Telluride. The Kia lane centering/adaptive cruise is way better than this ford as far as the activity required from the driver to keep it from alerting you. The kia is typically a full minute no hands or i can rest 2 fingers on the bottom of the steering wheel and it will never alert. I have to constantly put light turning pressure on the steering wheel to create resistance against the system in the Ford to avoid the notification. If my hands are off it's 10 seconds and I'm getting the alert. The Ford system works well at the lane centering but it is the most obnoxious one I've ever driven VS th Kia/Hyundai, Honda/Acura, GMC systems all of which I have had. 10 seconds it too short, and it should be weight based, on a straight road which nebraska has plenty of, even with 2 hands at 10 & 2 o'clock on the steering wheel it would Alert me to put my hands on the wheel, only if I was constantly twitching a slight turn of resistance would it not flash the alert. Stop and go works good too, but you have to twitch the wheel to let it know your holding it. Besides that though the truck has exceeded my expectations.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
For those wanting to know the braking status, if you have a PowerBoost you can leave the dash on the EV coach screen and then you'll see how much brake/gas it's doing live. I always leave my screen there so I guess I never even thought of there not being an indicator because I've always had one.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Put me in the camp who wishes it wouldn’t alert when your hands are on the wheel. The amount of force needed to keep it happy isn’t terrible but it feels like in order to keep in my lane i’m always steering into the next lane rather than keeping in my lane which just doesn’t feel natural….

At first I didn’t think it was any worse than my wifes Acura, but it is… although the F150 does a better job of following the lane… and maybe that is where the Acrua doesn’t seem to complain as much because I am always providing a small amount of input… but in a direction that is natural.

Actually… not to be harsh… but since the F150 is so good at staying centered… in order to keep the system happy the input I provide gives a similar sensation as if I were driving an old clunker out of alignment.

So I don’t know… I have no interest in fully hands free but I don’t like feeling like I’m fighting it just to avoid prompts. Maybe they could provide an option that lets you dial down the assist.. something where it does provide some force but just shy of enough to keep the truck fully centered. Then at least the driver input keeping it happy would feel natural while still relieving driver effort for long drives.

Last edited:

DaveK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat, 2019 XT4
The steering wheel doesn't sense you gripping it. It senses torqued applied to it when you turn it.
I’m curious - have had a few opportunities to try the lane centering in the last week or two, and trying to understand what the steering wheel is looking for from the driver. I get that its not sensing gripping, what it is looking for as far as torque? I’ve tried holding the wheel every way I possibly can, with two hands and the lane keep just keeps kicking out to the “resume control”. Just becomes too annoying and I end up driving just using the intelligent cruise and steer myself.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I’m curious - have had a few opportunities to try the lane centering in the last week or two, and trying to understand what the steering wheel is looking for from the driver. I get that its not sensing gripping, what it is looking for as far as torque? I’ve tried holding the wheel every way I possibly can, with two hands and the lane keep just keeps kicking out to the “resume control”. Just becomes too annoying and I end up driving just using the intelligent cruise and steer myself.
It is looking for resistance. Basically for you to apply some turning force to the wheel. Next time you see the message, give the wheel a little yank like you are trying to change lanes. The warning will go away

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
Actually… not to be harsh… but since the F150 is so good at staying centered… in order to keep the system happy the input I provide gives a similar sensation as if I were driving an old clunker out of alignment.
EXACTLY how I feel!

It's almost like the truck is doing the right thing by staying in the center of the lane, but it wants you to fight with it a little bit to prove that you are there (and it will resist because it knows that it's right)! Hmmm... reminds me of some relationships I've had. :-(

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost
Is nobody else having the issue with lane centering that it seems to favor the right side of the lane pretty significantly? I have used the system a lot on straight well-marked parks of I-10 and it isn't comfortable to pass a car without fighting the wheel to keep it off the center line.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Is nobody else having the issue with lane centering that it seems to favor the right side of the lane pretty significantly? I have used the system a lot on straight well-marked parks of I-10 and it isn't comfortable to pass a car without fighting the wheel to keep it off the center line.
I actually find it favoring the left more than the right myself, but yes, many have reported it having a strong tendency to prefer to stay slightly to one side than remain truly centered.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I actually find it favoring the left more than the right myself, but yes, many have reported it having a strong tendency to prefer to stay slightly to one side than remain truly centered.
Mine tracks straight down the middle on the lane on the freeway.
If I'm on a country road or there's on-coming traffic, I would prefer it to stay wider of the centerline, but it requires very little pressure turning the steering wheel to have it nudge over towards the shoulder (and the car icon shows it thinks the car is right of center.)
Through sharper turns, it can be a bit "late" (wide) or early depending upon the lane markings and speed.
I keep thumb and finger lightly on the wheel and turn the wheel only when the reminder flashes. Co-pilot requires zero steering input between "are you paying attention?" reminders.

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I just drove my new F150 from Nebraska to Utah, my wife drives a 21 Kia Telluride. The Kia lane centering/adaptive cruise is way better than this ford as far as the activity required from the driver to keep it from alerting you. The kia is typically a full minute no hands or i can rest 2 fingers on the bottom of the steering wheel and it will never alert. I have to constantly put light turning pressure on the steering wheel to create resistance against the system in the Ford to avoid the notification. If my hands are off it's 10 seconds and I'm getting the alert. The Ford system works well at the lane centering but it is the most obnoxious one I've ever driven VS th Kia/Hyundai, Honda/Acura, GMC systems all of which I have had. 10 seconds it too short, and it should be weight based, on a straight road which nebraska has plenty of, even with 2 hands at 10 & 2 o'clock on the steering wheel it would Alert me to put my hands on the wheel, only if I was constantly twitching a slight turn of resistance would it not flash the alert. Stop and go works good too, but you have to twitch the wheel to let it know your holding it. Besides that though the truck has exceeded my expectations.
Two hands are the reason you keep getting alerts. I put one hand on the spoke at 3 or 9 o'clock and never get warnings. As soon as I put a second hand on the wheel I start getting alerts.

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
My experience with every driver assistance system in any vehicle has been buggy and unrefined at best. It always seems like I'm fighting and babysitting all the systems to make them work properly.

I tried out adaptive cruise and lane centering on my first road trip and got about 20 minutes into it before I was able to once again come to the conclusion that it's a better driving truck when I drive it.

JDinNFLA

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Star White 3.5 EB
Same here as well. It’s great at some things, but still a far ways off from more advanced systems like Tesla has. On another planet really.

The need for absolutely perfectly marked lanes is annoying,and I’ve twice had it just decide to go nuts and turn out of the lane for a random shadow or skid mark it confused as a lane marker.

I also agree about approaching stopped traffic. If you’re within about 100ft of the car in front of you as everyone slows down it’ll correctly slow with traffic and come to a stop, but if you ever run into a situation where you’re on the highway doing 55+ and coming to stopped traffic because of an accident or traffic it’ll feel like it’s going to slam you into the back of then at full speed. No slowing down on its own until you’re uncomfortably close and it then sounds the crash imminent warning and goes berserk. It’s definitely just not using the front radar from a long enough distance to realize “I’m going to come to those cars REAL quick, maybe I should start slowing down now”.

The other thing is handling turns, sometimes it’ll do a nice smooth approach, but plenty of others (Especially if there’s any rain) it’ll do a very poor job of judging the radius of the turn and usually cut too tight coming in, then straighten out too much, then over compensate again, and if it ever crosses the line by messing up, instead of intelligently getting back into the lane, it’ll just cancel itself and send you on your own. Somewhat on this same topic is the tendency it has to hug the side of a lane instead of staying centered, usually the left side. I very often find the system practically riding the yellow line when it could over a good 18” to actually be centered in the road. Very nerve wracking when next to someone on the highway, always feel like it’ll cancel itself and we’ll collide.

I don’t use the Intelligent Cruise (Automatic speed changes based on signs) but I’ve noticed a few speed limit signs in my town fail to be detected. They’re the yellow diamond shaped ones with a regular speed limit in the middle. They’re used for a few places the speed limit drops in my town and the truck just ignores them, doesn’t seem to detect them as speed limit signs at all. This style, except I don’t think they have the arrow on them.

Definitely a work in progress and I hope to see OTAs improve some of this, it’s all stuff easily fixed in software.
Agree about intelligent cruise. Not ready in current setup. Had to turn mine off. very Unsafe when you have it set to say 6 over in a 70 zone and it see’s a 55 somewhere way off the road (such as a exit) and it slams on breaks to slow to 61 from 76 With traffic flying up your …!
Sponsored