Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
Hi folks,

Just placed a order Friday night and want to make sure of something before it goes out Monday morning.

I ordered a XLT 302a FX4. I included the "Tow Technology Package". Can someone confirm or deny that package has the integrated trailer brake controller?

The reason I as ask is on the Ford build site, under Tow Technology Package, they list trailer brake controller as an option. All the other packages, such as "Max trailer tow package", they list it as Integrated Trailer Brake Controller. I just want to make sure this is a verbiage mistake on the site and not two different things.
Thanks
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Pretty sure this is a stand alone on the towing and tow tech packages.
It is a 275$ option, but if you just placed the order, you may be able to add it.

Me, I’m just gonna have the dealer install when my truck arrives.
It was left off the order by mistake, and I did not pick up on it for awhile.
We chose not to alter the order to prevent an additional holdup or price increase on items that changed prices immediately before they started the okay for retail builds.

Simple addition that also requires a software update so the truck sees it and will be adjustable from instruments menu.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I have the 53A Trailer Tow Package which is listed as “Trailer Brake Controller” just as it does in the 17T Tow Technology Package.

I can confirm that I have the trailer brake switch/controller on my dash.

Ford F-150 Integrated Trailer Brake Controller 71870DCC-0EFD-413B-AE1C-9905D0355065

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost

JamesC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2021
Occupation
Farm
Pretty sure this is a stand alone on the towing and tow tech packages.
It is a 275$ option, but if you just placed the order, you may be able to add it.

Me, I’m just gonna have the dealer install when my truck arrives.
It was left off the order by mistake, and I did not pick up on it for awhile.
We chose not to alter the order to prevent an additional holdup or price increase on items that changed prices immediately before they started the okay for retail builds.

Simple addition that also requires a software update so the truck sees it and will be adjustable from instruments menu.
The F150 does not accept after market brake controllers, I hope you are planning on going to a dealer.
Also, the dealers don’t have the part yet, it is not available to buy. I’ve been looking for a month, because I was going to use my after market. I cam not tow my two axle trailer. It’s very unfortunate and a big oversight

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
T
The F150 does not accept after market brake controllers, I hope you are planning on going to a dealer.
Also, the dealers don’t have the part yet, it is not available to buy. I’ve been looking for a month, because I was going to use my after market. I cam not tow my two axle trailer. It’s very unfortunate and a big oversight
The dealer is installing, I have not even sat in the truck yet, and I’m supposed to pick it up tomorrow

I should mention the truck and all dealer accessories are already paid for.
So at this point, it is not my problem.

Last edited:

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
T
The dealer is installing, I have not even sat in the truck yet, and I’m supposed to pick it up tomorrow

I should mention the truck and all dealer accessories are already paid for.
So at this point, it is not my problem.
So, Friday night I received a survey request form from the dealer.
I did not bother to fill it out until I at least picked up the truck,
and on top of that, I needed to see how they were going to handle the Trailer Brake,
or lack of Trailer brake.

My sales guy was out of commission for a spell so another couple of fellas stepped up
Part of this was the fact the controller is not available yet, but paid for.
They told me that it has been ordered, and I will be contacted as soon as it arrives for install.
(This added points for being upfront and not brushing it aside)
Another sales guy went and retrieved the truck, the extra key, and all the books as they had been removed last week so the original sales guy had access to it.
All sold posters were removed, window sticker, and some Retail-Sold sticker on the driver door and back window was removed.
He also went and got my paper temp plate, and warmed up the truck.

He told me it was too cold to get it cleaned up properly, but to come back when it warms up and the detailing will done. (this added a couple of points to the survey as well)

Camera install--I did not even notice it was there til I got home and saw it peeking out the rear window.. Not sure how it works, but an audible voice over the trucks speakers told me it was now continuously recording.--So, I guess it works.

Everything the dealer had to install, was installed, except the brake controller that will get installed later.

JamesC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2021
Occupation
Farm
So, Friday night I received a survey request form from the dealer.
I did not bother to fill it out until I at least picked up the truck,
and on top of that, I needed to see how they were going to handle the Trailer Brake,
or lack of Trailer brake.

My sales guy was out of commission for a spell so another couple of fellas stepped up
Part of this was the fact the controller is not available yet, but paid for.
They told me that it has been ordered, and I will be contacted as soon as it arrives for install.
(This added points for being upfront and not brushing it aside)
Another sales guy went and retrieved the truck, the extra key, and all the books as they had been removed last week so the original sales guy had access to it.
All sold posters were removed, window sticker, and some Retail-Sold sticker on the driver door and back window was removed.
He also went and got my paper temp plate, and warmed up the truck.

He told me it was too cold to get it cleaned up properly, but to come back when it warms up and the detailing will done. (this added a couple of points to the survey as well)

Camera install--I did not even notice it was there til I got home and saw it peeking out the rear window.. Not sure how it works, but an audible voice over the trucks speakers told me it was now continuously recording.--So, I guess it works.

Everything the dealer had to install, was installed, except the brake controller that will get installed later.
That is good they were upfront. Did they tell you how long for the brake controller?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
That is good they were upfront. Did they tell you how long for the brake controller?
30-60 days
not sure if they will order for stock.
But this was requested long before the truck went into production, but fear of further delays kept the dealer from attempting to add it.
I do have a paper trail.
it may be expedited because of that trail, but I’m not gonna get too concerned about it.
I gave them a price that was valid in August, but the price had gone up, plus there are the install charge.
I get this thing installed and integrated for the original “factory option“ price.

jay_F150

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F-150 XLT, 21 F-150 STX
Traded my 18 F-150 XLT on a new 21 F-150 STX and the condition for the trade was that I must have fully functional Trailer Brakes as I tow my travel trailer all the time. A guy from their Service Dept told me that they have had issues to make it work on the new 2021s even being an original OEM part, told me to take the vehicle and test it, if not working to just get the car back and undo the deal. It has been 10 days they are trying to make it work, saying they are in touch with the manufacturer and all they do is blame them, I tried again last night still not working, this time I dropped my car with the trailer attached. If it does not work by tomorrow I am taking back my 18. It's a shame Ford has not yet fixed that, years ago a friend was going trough hell to install a TBC on his 17 F-150, it was missing a fuse in the fuse box.
It looks like they simple don't care with anything who buys a lower end trim. At this point I am very frustrated.

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
Picked up my truck Feb 12 and my brake controller is just now being installed.
They have only had it in their hands a couple of weeks—tried calling a wrong number to contact me.
I called them last week and they said it was here but could not get hold of me—-pretty sure email and cell were working fine and they had both of those.
So, now just hanging out at the dealer til they get it in there.

CarolynStride

First Name
Carolyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt 4x2
Occupation
Retired?
I have the 53A Trailer Tow Package which is listed as “Trailer Brake Controller” just as it does in the 17T Tow Technology Package.

71870DCC-0EFD-413B-AE1C-9905D0355065.jpeg
I ordered a 302a with tow technology and fully expect the TBC installed on it. I double checked this before ordering and dealer knows I was ordering a tow vehicle.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I ordered a 302a with tow technology and fully expect the TBC installed on it. I double checked this before ordering and dealer knows I was ordering a tow vehicle.
I’m thinking you should be GTG.

aaron90245

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 STX 2014 Cadillac CTS-V
Occupation
Pediatrics

71870DCC-0EFD-413B-AE1C-9905D0355065.jpeg
Could you post a pic of your TBC and the part number please?

I found ML3Z-19H332-AA from another ford dealer but it says the IPC must be configured after install. Doesn't sound like plug and play.

Last edited:

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Could you post a pic of your TBC and the part number please?

I found ML3Z-19H332-AA from another ford dealer but it says the IPC must be configured after install. Doesn't sound like plug and play.
Mind came installed from the factory being I have the standard tow package.
Sponsored